1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

outlets/conditioners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by monroe55, Nov 22, 2010.

1. MikeGee

MikeGee

Nov 7, 2009

yes, before i went on the other side of the building i plugged into 2 strips with same results.

I own several circuit analyzers ("basic outlet tester"). I am an electrician. I got the fixing and troubleshooting down.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Well, take a look at the spec for the Furman unit you bought. Besides 'noise suppression' I don't see anything else listed that does anything meaningful to the power. Do you? It also doesn't correct line voltage, only read it. It does surge protect, but then so does nearly every other power strip that's not of bottom feeder level. I'm not seeing anything there better listed than what I have my home stereo, TV or computers hooked up to.

Sorry, I don't buy that it was a furman power strip, no matter how many lights it has.

3. MikeGee

MikeGee

Nov 7, 2009
    I dont know either. All I know it did what it did. I get it, there isnt anything there to support my claims. I also know that my conditioner is a permanent fixture in my rack.

4. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY

Yep. You've got a fancy rack-mount power strip.

I've been playing gigs for over 25 years now and have been fine without. :)

The voltage read out is fun, but I have yet to see what you're supposed to do in a real gigging situation...you're on a big stage, you look down and see the voltage droop. Do you walk off mid song? Do you refuse to go on before your set? Do you demand the 'house electrician' come an fix things?

5. MikeGee

MikeGee

Nov 7, 2009

lol, no its not like that i wont make a demand of anyone. all i ask is i can hear me and my band mates. I only went with the voltage meter cuz i am an electrician. just something to look at, like my digital tuner with strobes. i dont need the tuner either just something to look at. i need something flashy since my playing aint.

:bassist:

6. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY

They would have extra sales if they upped it to BLUE LEDs... With all those lights on stage I hope you're not prone to seizures... ;)

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Voltage doesn't kill...

Only reason I would get a "power conditioner" would be for the outlets on the back. Otherwise, for bass amplifiers, they're useless, IMO.

8. MikeGee

MikeGee

Nov 7, 2009
    lol!! i forget the lights are even in there. i keep them pushed in.

9. +1

I use the furman in my rack merely to simplify the rack. Nothing more - nothing less. Everything plugged into it - 1 plug into the outlet.

Ease of operation.

10. MikeGee

MikeGee

Nov 7, 2009
    amps kill. electricity is some serious stuff. I've seen it blow hole in 1/4 inch steel plates.

11. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    A personal story from someone who is a professional in the field should have been a clue to reconsider your position.

12. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    No. I'll do nothing of the sort. Again, a look at the specs for the unit makes me feel pretty good about my position.

If maybe we were talking about this unit:

[​IMG]

http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=01&id=IT-20_II

I might reconsider. But then, at 1800$ and 80lbs, I don't see a lot of players carrying meaningful 'power conditioning'.

13. The poster said he was an electrician. No offense, but far from being a "professional in the field" as you claim.

To the contrary, there are quite a few Electrical Engineers that have posted as to the snake oil features of the so called "conditioners"

14. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Give him a break, he's a noob...he didn't know he had walked into a room where everyone pretty much knows each other. And that the engineers had already made the serious points. ;)

He didn't even know that I'M the snarky one. ;) Better yet, he was fighting a battle that didn't even exist.

...he probably didn't know that this whole thread is a script that we repeat on a weekly basis anyway...

15. MikeGee

MikeGee

Nov 7, 2009
    Man. Just talk about me like I an not here. Lol

16. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The Audio Engineering Society is the largest professional organization of audio and acoustical engineers and it does not recognize the need for external power conditioning when the internal device power supply is sufficient to do the job. In the vast majority of cases, it is. The only device recognized to do a significantly better job is a balanced AC line transformer, installed at the service entrance, connected to the 110v-0-110v supply, transforming it to 55v-0-55v balanced power. Cheap it ain't, nor is it portable.
    I do know how to explain it. Using two heads you had a ground loop, which plugging into the M8Dx corrected. BTW, the M8Dx isn't a power conditioner, it's a filtered power strip with a fancy digital voltage readout. One of the 15A filters shown here, or the equivalent, is what it uses:
    http://www.excesssolutions.com/cgi-bin/category/11700

Most quality gear today already contains that same level of line filtering, or better.

17. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Nah, I was talking about Mr. boynamedsuse...you've been around for a year now...the smell of new has worn off.

18. boynamedsuse

Oct 13, 2010
    Mr. boynamedsuse? Dang. I feel important. :p

19. boynamedsuse

Oct 13, 2010
    I see. External power conditioning is not needed when the internal device power supply does the power conditioning.

:confused:

:eyebrow:

:meh:

I thought you said in post #5 that power doesn't need to be conditioned, so power conditioners are a waste of money.

20. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Read what I said again. Power does not need to be conditioned; filtering isn't conditioning. Arguing about things which you do not understand just for the sake of arguing wastes everyone's time.