1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

outlets/conditioners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by monroe55, Nov 22, 2010.

1. MikeGee

MikeGee

Nov 7, 2009
    None of the items I listed was used with another. All was used separate. They weren't even present on the same day.

2. MikeGee

MikeGee

Nov 7, 2009
    Oh. I fell new when there are people that have thousands of posts.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Your post said "I was using a Ibanez combo, zoom pedal w/di out 2 different heads". If all you were running was a single amp and the Furman made it better that means that single amp lacked $10 worth of filtering. I wouldn't build an amp like that, and I know Bob doesn't, but some companies do.

4. MikeGee

MikeGee

Nov 7, 2009
    Ok? My bad, didn't make that part clear.

5. One thing I've not seen mentioned is whether under-powered is a danger, in the same way that computer systems are vulnerable to power sags as well as surges. Would my amps be damaged by a power sag?

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    No. Besides, power conditioners with voltage leveling circuitry don't have adequate current capability to handle amps. That fact is why amp manufacturers specifically state that you should not use them.
    As to the situation with computers, computer manufacturers could have made external conditioners/filters/surge protectors unnecessary, but the $10-$20 parts cost is deemed excessive in a market that is price driven to the extreme. Power conditioners hardly existed prior to the PC, and sound gear suffered no higher a failure rate nor any worse performance in the preceding 70 odd years that they went naked into the world.