Ovation Magnum Owners Unite!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Calaverasgrande, Feb 17, 2010.

1. I have noticed in seraching forums on this and other site that my beloved Ovation Magnum has a reputation as an "ugly duckling". Second only maybe to a certain round Musicman bass.
    I propose we start an Ovation Magnum Owners Club.
    Or at least put a silly number in our sig.

jimmyb likes this.
  2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I refuse to be part of a club that would have me as a member.

That said:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GreaserMatt likes this.
  3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I'm deeply envious...of everything except the weight.

4. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I've always wanted one, but $$ and availability have never aligned.

5. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    theres one on ebay right now...

6. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    They're not really that heavy - the just balance poorly. Slap a set of lightweight Schaller tuners on them (like I did), and you remove about 8 pounds off the headstock. Then they balance perfectly, and you don't notice the weight.

7. Cannabass

Cannabass

Jan 22, 2010
    must say the "graphic" eq is pretty sick

8. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Here's my suggestion for improving both the balance and the reach to the outer positions:

[​IMG]

It's the Steinberger Synapse Strap Hook Extender, and it works brilliantly. The only downside is drilling two mounting holes on the back of your bass.

9. balances great for me. Not heavy at all. My SR5 is heavy.

10. first bass i ever laid hands on was one of those 70's Ovations. not a Magnum (had a more traditional Fender-style body, but with the same electronics). belonged to my school. that sucker had some neck dive and some SERIOUS low end!

it's probably still there, untouched since about 2001. wonder what they'd want for it?

11. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Personally, I love 'em tho I've never actually owned one. I came close once. Back in 81 or 82 I was getting my first "real bass" and I was debating between one of these and a Kramer Duke. Yeah, I know-pretty funny choices for a "first real bass".

I remember the sales guy coaxed a nice trebly, almost Geddy-like tone out of it.

I think the prices were pretty close so I dont know why I went with the Duke over the Magnum. I dont think it was a weight issue because after the Duke, I went to a T-40. :eek:

Anyway, I love seeing pics of these so please, keep on posting!

12. GregDunn

GregDunn

Jan 8, 2009
    I asked my daughter how many Magnums she has at home and she believes the number is now 6. :eek: I know she doesn't have pictures of all of them so I'll share one I took in 2002 on stage:

Magnum IV being rocked

13. Old number 248, been thrashing this sucker for over 24 years, magnum02.jpg
    magnum01.jpg

No pics of the back, but it looks like the underbelly of an old whale, pocked from barnacles.

Randy Ward and GreaserMatt like this.
  14. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Is that the original finish? Is it really that red? Nice!

:bassist:

15. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The one I used to own was even redder than that. A deep trans-ruby color.

16. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    All this Magnum buzz has really got me gassin'. I don't really dig many vintage basses, but these just look and sound too cool...

17. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    +1

I'm gassing for a sunburst one... oh that would be so sweet :\

Actually, I never heard of them until a few days ago.

Anybody knows if the Ovation Magnums were sold in the US only?

18. that is a very accurate pic of the color.
    About the magnums. I have heard from some guitar techs I knew that the Magnum has some kind of funny intonation system that is not standard. I dont know what they meant because I knew a lot less about music at the time.
    Maybe it is similar to the Feiten system? Or maybe its some kind of stretch tuning or sweetened scale?

19. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    That's false. The only thing funny about it is that you have to remove the string from the saddle in order to loosen the screw to move it. It's kind of a pain in the ass.

20. Dear God in Heaven! There's a man living in your neck pickups!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021