Overrated bass players

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bryan, Jan 1, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    When we talk about Flea beeing overrated, here arises a question: overrated by whom? I'm sure that people over here don't overrate him, nor do general funk listeners. At the other hand, if we take some 15-y.o fanboys screaming "OMFG Flea is teh best f***ing bass player in the universe haha pwnt", then well, he's surely overrated by them.
    When I think about it, whom can they compare Flea with? Mark Hoppus? :D It's not surprising then, because IMO Flea is probably the most talented musician in the MTV crap-soup, the most talented bassist for sure.

2. Moving Target

Moving Target

Oct 2, 2008
    I think Peter Hook of New Order is well overrated.

Their songs have no bottom end because he plays lead lines up the top. Lots of people seem to think he "freed up" bass playing in some way. They must never have heard Entwhistle, Jaco, Stanley and so many others.

3. +1. Anybody who raves about Joy Division's "stark minimalism" is missing the fact that they just weren't any good as musicians, so they limited themselves. I guess they could have been worse, but... (and then there's the singer, don't even get me started)

4. cliff burton must be on this list somewhere

Lets Talk Bass likes this.
  5. wait what? The guy got a band and you never heard the song A Chick from Corea that he did with Steve Bailey? Search for it on youtube and you'll find how he can write a good song and not just going overly technical.

6. Moving Target

Moving Target

Oct 2, 2008
    Ta for the +1. :)

I actually prefer Joy Division to New Order! Hook was playing proper bottom end lines in those days and I liked Ian Curtis as a frontman, though he was hardly a good singer. Don't you like Love Will tear Us Apart?

7. kgoism

kgoism

Mar 26, 2008
    Jaco.

Kidding

8. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I think Flea is overrated, as do most of us. I think the Chili Peppers are just one of the most overrated bands out there, period.

I also think Fieldy is overrated. I liked some of Korn's stuff, but I can't deal with his tone, his attitude, or his lines.

Paul McCartney. He was a good bass player. He was only a good songwriter when he teamed up with John Lennon. He was not a musical genius, nor some sort of God among men like so many people seem to think.

9. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008

umm.i agree with that.

not kidding....(hate me if you want..dont care.)

10. mad_hatter67

mad_hatter67

Oct 4, 2008
    And why is Jaco overrated? not hating just confused.

11. No. That one in particular makes me cringe. The slicker production they got, the more they came to resemble a more depressing version of an English pop crooner like Englebert Humperdink. Seriously.

12. E2daGGurl

E2daGGurl

May 26, 2008
    SoCal
    There's a factor in "over-rating" people that is basically love/sex appeal. Hard to account for.

Sometimes it's temporary, but sometimes it's not.

13. Kindofblue

Kindofblue

Oct 13, 2008
    Canada
    That homo in led zeppelin.

14. joelc1319

joelc1319

Sep 12, 2007
    If that's serious, I feel betrayed by mankind. JPJ was (and still is) the most talented musician of that group, and has more than considerable skill at bass and keyboards. If anything he's underrated...

15. René_Julien

René_Julien Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    :eyebrow: I find it a bit unfortunate and even derogatory to use the words "that homo".

Okay, he is gay, but he has a name.
    What has his sexual preference has to do with it?

You're entitled to your opinion that he is overrated, but I don't like that insulting undertone.
    (Unless you didn't mean to sound like that,... but it comes off that way.)

+1 to that. I think he is a very talented all around musician, that many don't even know about.

16. Another vote for Peter Hook..
    And for Paul McCartney - average at best!

17. aah peter wentz
    he frustrates the hell outta me
    especially when people yap on and on about how talented he is. he cannot play to save his life
    hah in all the concerts and gigs he has done not once has he attempted a solo :scowl:

18. mfgl

mfgl

Jul 1, 2008
    Altoona PA
    The Who made millions happy, and Roger and Pete jumped around quite a bit, and smashed guitars and all that junk.

19. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    Agree wholeheartedly with the first part, but since when is John Paul Jones gay?

20. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    That is the smallest, most insignificant part of most bassists' jobs. Solos are not everything.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.