1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ow Ow Ow!!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jmattbassplaya, Aug 25, 2012.

1. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Just played a gig last night, and my band had convinced me beforehand to try to play my bass higher up on my body than normal. I went through the gig just fine, but when I woke up this morning my fingering hand's wrist was KILLING me! I guess I need to keep my bass hanging more in the 'rocker' position, because up high just kills me :crying:

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I don't like mine high either. Causes pain in my right wrist.

3. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    I set my bass to the same height standing up as when seated. Being that I enjoy keeping things simple, this suits me well.
    You suffered for your craft, and I salute you! :bassist:

4. Trabeen

Trabeen Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Idaho
    The older I get the higher my bass seems to go, sort of like my pants.

5. I can't play high either. I don't play really low. Someone else here described it well, I like it as if I'm putting my right hand in my pocket. Playing high kills my right shoulder. That and it just feels awkward for me. Never had any problems with my fretting wrist either way.

6. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    You have to put the bass in a classical guitar position to keep the hands in a strait-as-possible position

7. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    I've never had any sort of problem wearing my bass high, only wearing it low. Do you people have issues playing sitting down as well? There's no difference really.

8. My strap is set so sitting down and standing up are the same position.

9. Actually. My acoustic feels alright sitting down but any electric I play sitting also starts aggravating my shoulder. Several years of skateboarding already saw to the demise of the right side of my body lol.

10. Road Bull

Road Bull

Jul 24, 2011
    Seattle, WA.
    Another thing to think about is the beginning of a show might not be the best time to make a big change like that. Depending on the amount of change, your body may need some time and practice to get used to new positions.
    For me, it was important to not aggravate a previous RSI wrist injury. So when I started playing bass, I started playing up higher to allow my wrists to be in as neutral position as possible. This also has my strap set so that it is the same height sitting as it is standing.

11. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Me, too. Have ya gotten into suspenders yet? I have.

12. Nomadskills

Nomadskills

Dec 27, 2010
    Here
    I'm still struggling with position. I want it to be low but it seems that I feel and play better with it a little higher (Not chest height though).

13. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    wear the bass where you feel confortable... else it is very painfull and can lead to injuries....

14. Eric1668

Eric1668

Jul 24, 2012
    I'm just a beginner, so I really haven't found "my" best position yet. Playing sitting down does seem to bother my right wrist more than standing. When standing, I keep my thumb anchored on the pickup at about belt level. My headstock generally points to about 10 o'clock

15. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I like to stand on my bass like a surfboard and play with my toes.

no, really I do that "same standing as sitting" thing. That seems like a natural position. I can't stand it too low. Drives me nuts.. or drives my nuts. Something like that.

16. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    jmatt - what Clef said. Raising the neck is good for technique. Raising the body is bad for the right wrist - putting that sharp a bend in the wrist is hell on tendons.
    The other approach, if you wear your bass higher, is to raise your right elbow slightly so as to decrease the angle of (and the stress on) your right wrist.

17. Hey JMatt, if you don't mind me asking, what's it to your bandmates where you play your bass? Seems like they shouldn't care as long as you do your job and sound good.

18. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    That sounds just right to me.

19. Eric1668

Eric1668

Jul 24, 2012
    It works for me. I guess everyone is different. Whatever feels best to you is the right way!

20. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    I have never heard of a band convincing a guitar/bass player to wear it higher, i kinda wanna hear what they said to peer pressure you into playing your bass up high...

"C'mon man, you know you wanna! All the best Jazz players wear it that way"

All I have ever got was told to lower it cause "we are a rock band" and we have an image...