1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Oy. People are weird.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by two fingers, Jun 11, 2018.

1. SpyderX

SpyderX

Jun 6, 2015
    Costa Mesa, Ca
    At first I thought you meant mHarmony - a sister site to eHarmony that would match musicians based on what other players are looking for :laugh: Maybe not the worst idea ever...

Ekulati likes this.
  2. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    tantivy-jersey-map.

... two weeks and I know everybody who knows to count to 4.

:D maybe you should leave the island. :roflmao:

Wise(b)ass

btw: nice place ;)

+6dB Dan likes this.
  3. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test... Supporting Member

“Drummer. Super cool redneck.”

Or not!

Grab another drummer (maybe from your first band?) and keep moving forward).

4. this is exactly why I started playing drums!

Drummer: "I know the gig is tomorrow, ya know how it goes, I got something that came up"
    Me: "WHAT??!?!? the gig is TOMORROW!!"
    Drummer: "yeah, well, you know my ummm, girlfriend ya know how it goes ?"
    Me: "No man, I don't know how that goes." click.
    Me to Gtr1: "here man, you play my bass, I am gonna play drums. We are doing the gig."
    Gtr1: "huh? what happened? Umm, I guess so?"
    Me to singer: "Here, you play guitar, we'll just do the easy songs, Gtr1 can show you the chords."

Gig went well, I still play drums.

5. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1 Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Such is life in show business.

6. Like relationships, some folks cannot handle band commitment. Maybe that's it.

two fingers likes this.
  7. nbsipics

nbsipics Had to Cry Today Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Exactly. Or how about BassDrama.com. Too bad we can't all be kids and play in basements anymore...

EDIT: I meant that in a GOOD way :)

8. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Post no. 2 & 4 were the answer.

Ekulati likes this.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    My chances to fire a drummer presently are pretty slim. The drummer in the other band started the band and owns the PA. :D

Jimmy4string likes this.
  10. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm gonna let you slide because a) you don't know me and b) I didn't specify that we have three gigs on the books this Summer in that second band.... the one he quit.

I do not rehearse more than 4 times for a first gig. I refuse. We had rehearsed once and planned on two more before he quit. We did get together and jam/audition him once but I don't count that as a rehearsal. (And, bu the way, we had a blast that night and asked him to join on the spot. He was thrilled that we asked him so quickly.)

The first show is set for July 28th with two more to follow quickly. All three gigs were to be out first time in each venue with more bookings to follow after that. I have known all three club owners for decades amd have great relationships with half a dozen more. If I wanted to play that much, I could have every Friday and Saturday, some Sunday afternoons, amd some Thursday nights booked solid. Gigs were/are not an issue. :D

HE was the one who wanted to rehearse more. HE quit because we couldn't get together more than we had. HE feared we would be "ill prepared" for the first gig.

So ya got it backwards. ;)

Jimmy4string, Ekulati and obimark like this.
  11. Did you turn him down when he offered to buy you a drink? Some people consider that rather rude behavior.

Wisebass, oldrocker, gln1955 and 3 others like this.
  12. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    :roflmao: Well played.....

Wisebass, Spidey2112 and Renaissance like this.
  13. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Sooooo.... drummer failure to launch?
    :D

14. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd quit too if I was on one of those damned group texts!

oldrocker, two fingers and Ekulati like this.
  15. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    My wife has watched me interact with other musicians for over 40 years. She also has very good skills assessing and dealing with people. She is off schmoozing at a party right now.

When I tell her the latest stories, she says " Honey, most musicians are either totally selfish or totally screwed up, so dont take it personal."

I am beginning to believe her.

ezra1, Jimmy4string, nbsipics and 2 others like this.
  16. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    "Perfection is the enemy of the good."

I'll have to remember that when I want to see a less than stellar performance...

(Gatekeeper): Cover charge is $12.

(Patron): I've heard these guys are good. Are they $12 good?

(Gatekeeper): Not really... how 'bout if I charge what they're worth... how's $6?

(Patron): 'Ishtar' and 'Jaws' is showing at the drive-in for $4...?

(Gatekeeper): $5, and you get a free 'all-you-can-drink' token for the water fountain.

(Patron): Yessss... less than perfect and greater than zero. I'm in...

nbsipics, gln1955 and Renaissance like this.
  17. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Good enough is the friendly rival of the downright crappy.

Wisebass and Spidey2112 like this.
  18. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Agreed...

19. @twofingers, I'm thinkin the drummer has gone a bit squirrely and lost his head... that's all I got!
    Fishheadjoe

two fingers likes this.
  20. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I see what you did there...
    :roflmao: