Party SNAFU

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Kevorargh, Jan 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Kevorargh

Kevorargh Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2013
    West Bethel, Maine
    So around New Year's Eve I was invited to jam at a friend's party- he lives about 20 minutes away from me. Since this is Western Maine, he of course lives in the woods somewhere. I load up my gear and look for his house, eventually finding it with the aid of a trusty Garmin.

The load in is an icy walkway into the house where I have to maneuver through a ton of people and make my way downstairs - not the greatest load in. I get everything there and start to set up and I realize I have brought the wrong bass (the 5 string Warwick). The right bass (the Rick) has all my cables and cords in it. Crap, I can't even power up my amp and connect my speakers. So I head home, get the right bass, and come back 45 minutes later and finally set up and play.

It was a weird deal, even for a party. My friend plays drums and was okay, but the PA was barely functioning - we could not hear vocals to save our lives. The lead guitarist never really looked at us at all and didn't move much. There was a female guitar player and she was more personable. There was a third guitar player who was young and struggled to follow along, and a keyboardist who played when he knew what was going on.

Basically, either the female or lead guitarist would choose songs and we would all attempt to follow. There was one train wreck when we decided to soldier through Dazed and Confused, but the beer was good, the band was happy I was there, and crowd was appreciative.

T_Bone_TL, Wisebass, Duder and 11 others like this.
  2. PICS! :)

Wisebass likes this.
  3. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I've had pickup band gigs go better. I've had pickup band gigs go worse. At least you got free beer. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

4. oldrocker

oldrocker Supporting Member

Except for leaving my bass at home ( ;) ) seems typical for the pick up party jams I've played at. If I don't know the song usually one of the guitars will and I'll follow along the chords he's playing.

I enjoy playing these as the crowd and party hosts are always appreciative and the food and drink is always good.

Although I did once get half way to rehearsal when I stopped at a 7-11 en-route and noticed that I left my bass at home....

5. 50 year old flashback.

Wisebass, RichardW, Lesgo and 4 others like this.
  6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i did that...once!

glad you had a good party! ;)

Wisebass likes this.
  7. jeffb28451

jeffb28451 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Leland NC
    It was unusual...you had a PA...

pcake likes this.
  8. popcat

popcat

Jan 7, 2016
    Albeit your friend is a drummer, but with 3 guitar players no one had a spare cable or two laying about and you had to go back home?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  9. Guitar players man. They barely remember their own stuff. :D

Wisebass, mikeyjm2 and mikewalker like this.
  10. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I found a couple on the social medias.

The dancers.

5_syRsp1Uo-6W0dw1SYCk9XITjoekDmJPfq5bJ19W2XFrQUluYjhv5pq_KX_dJ9-0vTOXtc3_J_lEshS2Xf=w599-h571-no.jpg

The band.

hLzfM7lqipvKUgW0OYJ3pKr-88E_4LvcfhBpFhQSgVVSwAaOL-8frvCcwlZSMmCO-U9vKeTlJeqM6KXIvDW=w500-h374-no.gif

;) :D :)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

wintremute, pcake, kartiste and 19 others like this.
  11. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    borat.jpg

12. AztecViking

AztecViking Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2010
    EndlessSummerVille, CA
    If the crowd liked it consider it a big win! :laugh: :thumbsup:

13. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    GPS works in MAINE??

Cheez, Wisebass, dbase and 7 others like this.
  14. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    My brother used to do an acoustic duo with a friend of his. The guy was a walking talking encyclopedia of music and could sing most anything and sell it to the crowd. My brother mostly just played guitar and tried his hand at harmony.
    They worked a lot of small bars and restaurants around one of our larger lakes and being a duo with a little six channel powered mixer and a couple of Peavey speakers it was an easy bit of spare cash as often as they wanted it. They got paid decent and most times fed so it was a good little thing for them. One sunday I rode with my brother back to the bar they played the night before to ransom the PA. They had comped food and a smallish bar tab but his partner had run so far over, the bar manager not only refused to pay them but made them leave the PA until they could come back with another fiddy. The other guy said he was not gonna go get it so we did. It was the first and almost the last PA I ever bought.

Kevorargh, mikewalker and BassCliff like this.
  15. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    News flash—- G is for global ( i.e.) Earth

16. House parties, kitchen rackets, ceilidhs, shed parties, they are all fun to play at, socialize at, and are great for meeting new people and seeing old friends :thumbsup:. I love playing those things. I like regular gigs too but from time to time a house party is a great way to break-up the winter blah's. Glad it was fun.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  17. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    That's why I do at least one idiot check when I pack the car, both before and after a gig. Sometimes I even pull over to the side of the road to poke in the back seat. Seems silly at the time, but

Kevorargh and DukeCC like this.
  18. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    Sounds like the premise for a Stephen King novel. Glad you made it out alive.

BassCliff likes this.
  19. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    That was the punch line (is Maine in on Earth)

20. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    I've been invited to join a band on guitar/backing vocals and last night was the second time I practiced with them. I got there and was just waiting for the rest of the guys to show up and realized I'd left my guitar at my house 15 minutes away. I felt like a jackass, but the drummer's son used to play guitar so I got to play a nice USA Strat instead of my SG.

Kevorargh likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021