1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Passive Jazz Volume Differences

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mellowinman, Jan 22, 2012.

1. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I have two Squier Jazz Frankenbasses I purchased off of eBay.

The four string is a Squier body, which the seller changed out the pickups to passive EMG Selects.

The five string is a Squier affinity, with changes as described by eBay seller:

"Pots were upgraded to full size Alpha pots and a Sprague "orange drop" .050 mfd tone cap was installed, so the electronics are equivalent to US built J basses."

The five string is noticeably quieter than the four string. The tone isn't as quite as nice, for my money, but it's OK.

What I'm wondering is if those pots and cap are making the difference, or if its because of the stock Squier pickups vs the EMG Select.

I really do like the sound of the four string, and would like to make the five string closer in volume, so I can use the same settings when I switch onstage.

I could use some help on this, as I have never done much with electronics on any instruments I have owned.

Here is a photo of both instruments. The sellers did all the conversions to make them look like Fenders.

[​IMG]

2. Makes no difference unless you changed the values.

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The two sets of pickups are not made the same. The selects are split coil humbuckers with ceramic magnets. They are probably wound hotter than the pickups in the five string.

Changing pots wont make it louder.

4. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I am unable to find an EMG Select or any EMG passive pickup that would work for a five string jazz.

What would be comparable?

I really like the sound of the EMG Select on that four string.

5. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

Cant you just put some Selects in that 5 string? Im a big fan of EMG Selects, even though most folks poo poo them...or are the Selects too small for the fiver?

6. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    That's a good question. I'm afraid I don't know the answer.

7. Not sure if EMG offers a 5 string version in their Select series, but they do in their standard (USA) line. If you like the EMG tone, consider this route as an upgrade for your Squier V. EMGs are fairly reasonably priced, yet many high end basses feature them as standard equipment. Someone recently mentioned one thing abouts EMGs was that they made every bass they were installed in sound the same, which is cool if you like that sound.

I have 1 guitar (Fritz Bros. Roy Buchanon Bluesmaster/Tele) with EMGs and it does sound great. None of my basses have EMGs but I'm gassing for an ESP Vintage 4 I've found used with EMGs in a p/j setup.

8. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The 5 string has wider pickups.

9. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I couldn't find a passive jazz EMG for five string.

What might be similar?

10. keithbaynes

keithbaynes

Sep 3, 2008
    EMG doesn't make a jazz style 5 string pickup at all. They were supposed to have had one available this past summer but it never happened. I contacted them within the last month and they have no idea when they'll have them availabel

11. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    So does anyone have a suggestion for the best pickup I can use in the five string that will be similar to the EMG Selects in the four string?

It would be very, very helpful.

12. +1