1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Passive Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KingRazor, Jun 8, 2011.

1. What would it sound like?

Talking about the one with one pickup in the bridge.

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Probably like a well-made OLP.

3. Niceee.

4. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I once had a passive musicman clone made by arbor. it has an interesting sound. it can provide a bright, upper mid-rangy sound if you equip the bass with a set of stainless steel strings. from what I can tell you from my experience of having a passive musicman-styled bass guitar, it won't be as versatile as an active musicman-styled bass guitar.

5. Well, I think that would be obvious, but I'm not going for versatility.

See, it seems like there are four main bass tones, and most other basses are just some variation of one of these: P, Jazz, Rick, and Stingray.

The P, Jazz, and Rick(?) are all passive. The Stringray is the active one of the group, and while the sets it apart from the rest, I still think a single MM pickup in the bridge/sweet spot and a passive configuration could give a unique tone.

6. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    That can be true in some ways that a passive musicman stingray can have a unique sound. if you in fact in the market for a passive musicman-styled bass guitar, I would say check out either the arbor ab410 4-string bass or a stagg mb500 4-string bass. they're both passive musicman clones and do provide some interesting sounds. give any of those basses a try. you might dig the sound quality of these basses.

Are rickenbaker basses passive? I always thought that they're active.

7. I admittedly know nothing about rics

I was really just curious about how the bass would sound, not necessarily in owning one. Unless I particularly like the sound, that is.

8. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I once had an active/passive switch on a vintage StingRay. It still sounded very much Ray-like, but at a much much lower volume output. The punch comes from the preamp. I remember that running it passive, it was lower in output than a regular Jazz Bass. I really didn't like it and quickly converted it back.

MobileHolmes likes this.
  9. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Rics are passive.

cataract and Killed_by_Death like this.
  10. funkstag

funkstag

Jun 30, 2010
    New Zealand
    i guess taking the battery out of my stingray makes its a passive bass? i played it once when i was putting a new battery in. hand no control on the eq

11. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC

I'm not sure if it is still the case, but the older Rays ran perfectly well without a battery in them.

I used to have an early 90s Ray, and, without the battery, it sounded just like what Caca de Kick says.

IMO, basses with that pickup in that spot need the active EQ.

12. Nope, Rickenbackers are passive.

13. Beat me to it.

14. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Passive S.U.B.

JakobT likes this.
  15. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Oh okay. so rickenbaker basses are passive.

16. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Yeah...Caca de kick did answer my question first, but thanks for answering anyhow. I now know that rickenbaker basses are passive.

17. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona

I don't think you'd complete the circuit if you pulled the battery.

I'm x2 on a SUB.... the '03 passive SUBs had a unique sound.

18. Any sound clips of SUBs out there?

19. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    It wont sound anything out of the ordinary. It would sound like a stingray with lesser gain and less tonal options. With the PU at the bridge position I reckon a bass boost would be more practical than a treble roll off.

20. I think a passive bass with a single bridge pickup kind of completes the "holy trinity of bass tone". You have the P bass with one pickup in the neck position. The Jazz, with one pickup in the neck and one in the bridge. And finally, the Stingray, with one pickup at the bridge.

:D