Pat Wilkins Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dinodino, May 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. dinodino

dinodino

Mar 9, 2008
    Hi All,
    I've seen a lot of small threads here and there about Pat's handiwork, whether it be his refinishes or custom basses. I wanted one place where we can all show off our beautiful basses! I have no idea why Pat's customs fly under the radar, but here is my submission!

Early VRB in a reverse PJ configuration with a heavily figured Birdseye neck. It's also chambered and comes in under 8.2 lbs! Lightweight but sounds massive! I might send it in for a refin for a metallic color soon once I decide what I want. I'm excited to see your custom Wilkins and refinishes and give Pat the props he deserves!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  2. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    Your Wilken's bass is smoking hot!
    I know he uses a variety of preamps and pickups. Which electronics are in your bass?

PhillipHolbrook and dinodino like this.
  3. dinodino

dinodino

Mar 9, 2008
    Bartolini preamp and unknown pickups- most likely SDs or Pat Wilkins pickups. The reverse p singled out is what I usually use with the j pickup mixed in sparingly to taste depending on my need to get more middy.

Nomogram likes this.
  4. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    Thanks! :) I see that much thought went into selecting your gear down to the matching strap! ;):thumbsup:

5. dinodino

dinodino

Mar 9, 2008
    Hah I would've selected the PUS to personal specs if I had it built, but I bought it second (or third....or fourth hand). All I know is that it sounds sweet!

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  6. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

Can I be in the club being that I've had two basses painted by him and will have two more done in the next few weeks?

Small P-bass done 600.jpg
    Tutmark tribute done 700.jpg

next in line
    Ukenbacker mod pups 700.jpg
    Jaguarlele mod 750.jpg

Orlan, nixdad, Short-scale and 2 others like this.
  7. dinodino

dinodino

Mar 9, 2008
    kohanmike and Short-scale like this.
  8. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Pat is wizard . Super nice guy with a long history in building , finishing and playing instruments . His early days at Schecter were instrumental and working along side of some legendary builders that are still making amazing instruments today . I'm lucky enough to shoot over to his shop now and then and you will most likely find a a famous player or 2 in there and at the very least a room full of amazing instruments . I highly recommend Pat's strings made for him to his specs by La Bella they are out standing and very nicely priced . Pat keeps detailed build sheets as well so if you have an old bass of his he may be able to dig up the build sheet which is cool to have. I have had several basses finished or refinished by him . I still have the U.S. Schecter he refin'd for me and I have one of his Road tested basses which is pure magic . I do have another Wilkins in route as we speak \m/\m/ Without Pat the boutique instrument world would be much less colorful . Cheers

MrPatWilkinsLPB_5_20_11.gif

body2.gif

1996_Schecter_USA_S_series_P.gif

Pat_Wilkins_P.jpg

IMG_1056.gif

IMG_1061.gif

IMG_1065.gif

IMG_1064.gif

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  9. diamondsplit

diamondsplit

Jan 13, 2012
    N.J
    Pat is a real nice guy I have a 1992 Wilkins Namm show bass he is doing some little odds and ends on it. He seems real happy to see it he made 10 that year and sold them out at a price of 3,850. This bass is a top notch bass Pat is well known in refinishing and building and i have played some high end boutique basses and this is tops. He told me he put a lot of time and effort in this bass and you can see he went above and beyond it is my best bass. It will be super sweet and special once he is done

Attached Files:

Mosstone, dinodino and fretno like this.
  10. Here are the 2 basses that killed my GAS totally. After years of trying and selling basses I have not purchased any other basses since getting these.

Fun Fact: Did you know that Pat also has his own line of bass strings? That's what the first bass wears....

The first I bought: Roadtested PJ5 (WRTPJ 5)

Specs:
    Chambered J-Bass body
    Body Wood: Alder
    Fretboard: Birdseye maple
    Neck: Hard rock maple (from ancient stock)
    Color: Matte Marooned
    34" scale 12" radius
    Neck Pickup: Wilkins 60's P5
    Bridge Pickuped: Nordstrand J (matched)
    Elkectronics: Aguilar OBP-3 V/Bl/Bass/Pp HiMid/LoMid/Treble (9V)
    Tuners: Hipshot ultralite 1/2
    Bridge: Hipshot C vintage
    Bone Nut
    18.5mm spacing
    9.0 pounds
    NBD: Wilkins Roadtested PJ5 (WRTPJ 5)

3A%2F%2Fi254.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fhh94%2FGPix_photos%2FWRTB%2520PJ5%2FIMG_2191_zps0c612640.png

Which led to: Wilkins 'Cayenne' (Roasted) PJ5

Specs:
    Roasted Body - Pearl White Satin finish
    Fingerboard - Dark Roasted Flamed Maple - Natural Satin Finish
    Neck - Quarter Sawn Honey Roasted Flamed Maple - Natural Satin Finish
    34" Scale, 10" Radius
    Nut Width 1.75
    Frets 6230
    Nordstrand NP5
    Nordstrand J5
    Sadowsky Preamp
    Hipshot Ultralite tuners
    Hipshot Vintage C bridge, 18.5mm
    7.8 pounds
    Originally made for Tully Kennedy...
    NBD: Wilkins 'Cayenne' (Roasted) PJ5

54.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fhh94%2FGPix_photos%2FRoasted%2520PJ5%2F20150611_081042_zpsxqwvfpjj.png

He painted this Carvin for me in an amazing Burgundy Mist:
    age=http%3A%2F%2Fi254.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fhh94%2FGPix_photos%2FB50%2FIMG_2269_zpsaac36e40.png

Pat is incredibly talented and one of the truly nicest people I have ever met.

Mosstone, fender68, dinodino and 2 others like this.
  11. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I'm so happy I took the recommendation of others here on TB to check out Pat, I'm about 35 minutes driving distance so I never have to worry about shipping costs or damage, and what makes it even better, Eric's Guitar, who I now use for doing mods, is about 10 minutes away from Pat. They're both great guys, extremely conscientious and work fast, within a few weeks, where the last two people I used took close to a year for the same kind of work.

my man pookie and dinodino like this.
  12. pudge

pudge

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    One I picked up here.

IMG_2259.JPG

nixdad, Mosstone, Pet Sounds and 2 others like this.
  13. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    California Republic
    Major Praise for a superb craftsman. Visited his shop once, and my Carl Pedigo build was finished by him. He's a great guy, and the work speaks for itself. I'm thinking of taking a project bass to him, and have no doubt that his own builds are first-rate.

dinodino likes this.
  14. dinodino

dinodino

Mar 9, 2008
    Beautiful basses! Is that schecter finished in lake placid blue?

fretno likes this.
  15. dinodino

dinodino

Mar 9, 2008
    Very cool finish! I reached out to Pat and he said my bass was made shortly after NAMM around the same timeframe as yours. These are really something special.

16. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Thanks ! Yes it is :)

17. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Pat finished this neck for me:

Jazz105_zpsa07231eb.jpg

Jazz%2066_zpscoke5ex1.jpg

It looks great, and it never gets sticky, no matter how humid a gig gets here in Florida.

Mosstone, fretno and dinodino like this.
  18. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    sign me up - Pat's the man :thumbsup:

Firemist Metallic Gold
    IMG_4758_zpsmqfisq9d.jpg

nixdad, Mosstone, GregC and 3 others like this.
  19. bassstation

bassstation terms of enRAMPAGEment

Yes

He Refinished a 8 string I had. It was a silver-sparkle eye sore and he Refinished it in limo black, it looked like a black mirror. This was 10 years ago, I have to see if I can find some pics. Pat was friendly and easy to work with, his price was reasonable, I think he deserves some recognition.

20. Bergerman

Bergerman Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Creswell, OR
    Pat busted out some Candy Apple Orange for my Sadowsky Modern!

image.jpeg image.jpeg

puff father, nixdad, Mosstone and 4 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021