Paul McCartney and his Basses

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JD Supernatural, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Oh yeah, I've learned to not argue with those type of books, they have obviously used other sources besides their ears:laugh:. Looks like George picked up some tips from Paul.

nixdad likes this.
  2. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    In the film Let It Be, George is (was) often seen playing a Fender Bass VI while Paul played guitar or piano. It’s been a long while since I’ve seen the film — since anybody has seen the film, for that matter — but Maxwell’s Silver Hammer and Two of Us stand out in my memory as songs that I believe featured George on the Bass VI.

bobyoung53 and nixdad like this.
  3. I have it on DVD but can't remember either but I'm sure the book must be accurate.

nixdad likes this.
  4. Although George is clearly playing the Fender Bass VI in the Let It Be film, Paul was in the habit of later overdubbing parts others played on HIS songs. The sound and style on the finished Abbey Road recording sounds like him to me So IMHO, it's Paul.

ICM, bobyoung53, nixdad and 1 other person like this.
  5. Bad example, IMO. Lennon mangled The Long and Winding Road. I've read that Spector laid on the strings and choirs specifically to cover up his atrocious bass work, but I could hear it at age 14 in 1970. I can't think of any Lennon bass lines that were proficiently played, though Helter Skelter somehow works in the mix.

bobyoung53 and nixdad like this.
  6. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    I play in a band that does a lot of Beatles. We even used to do the whole tribute thing. I learned that line note for note just to irritate the BL. (He's a huge John Lennon fan, and I'm an a$$4o1#) :eek::banghead::thumbsup:

bobyoung53 and Pet Sounds like this.
  7. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Paul used to record his bass parts last, so I believe George filling in on bass during certain rehearsals was no uncommon. I can’t wait to see Let It Be when it’s re-released as well - it’s been decades since I’ve seen it.
    BTW, I believe George played his part on “Two of Us” on his Rosewood Tele.

8. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think you're right, @bassnyc1.

9. Otis66

Otis66

Apr 29, 2019
    I’m pretty sure that all of the Beatles,Ringo included, could play multiple instruments. I saw Paul playing a Mandolin a while back. George Harrison was a player and collector of Ukulele’s.
    What ever was needed I’m 100% sure that any one of the Beatles would have gotten the job done.

10. I'm not saying Lennon wasn't a competent musician. But he was known to hate having to play bass, and between his disinterest and heroin use, his limited bass work on Let It Be was particularly poor.

EchoEcho and bobyoung53 like this.
  11. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Jun 19, 2004
    New Jersey
    Lennon is playing the Bass VI in Let It Be, not George. I don't recall seeing George on bass anywhere in the movie, while John plays it on "Let It Be," "The Long and Winding Road" and jams like "Dig It."

12. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Jun 19, 2004
    New Jersey
    If you want to hear Lennon attempt to play sax, pay attention to the squealing in the later sections of "Helter Skelter." It's him on sax, while the other noise is Mal Evans on trombone.

13. Yes, terrible and he was probably high as a kite.

14. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Well you guys, guess what popped up on Youtube today?

15. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    John did play bass on "Let It Be" in the movie but Paul overdubbed the bass on the released recording at the behest of George Martin

- Steve

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Pet Sounds likes this.
  16. Yeah, watched it last night. It's the one I've been waiting for. Grest job!

17. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nice! Thanks for posting.

18. guygorilla

guygorilla

Apr 11, 2017
    I thought the bass lines he played on Let It Be and The Long And Winding Road had to be redubbed by Paul, owing to John's mistakes (lack of interest?)

19. Paul dubbed in the bass on Let It Be (the song), but for some reason not Winding Road, the finished production of which he famously hated.

20. bober_

bober_

Aug 4, 2020
    Hi, do any of you guys know what bass paul used on his 1970 album “mccartney”

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021