Paul McCartney & "Band on the Run"

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Spanky, Aug 14, 2004.

1. I am soooo gonna get fried over this, so Ill just apologize in advance to those whom I offend!

This song was on the radio today, and really for the first time ever, I sat up and took notice of Pauls bass parts. Great basslines...dont get me wrong, very solid and foundational. Its the tone I couldnt believe, though. Sounds like an absolute fresh steamy pile of dog poo. Im guessing he was using his Hofner and a seriously blown rig when he recorded it? The rest of the mix was fine...

Anyone else have a take on this?
  2. I like that one part that's all funky& etc. (the "if we ever get out of here" part), especially in some Panic cover (don't remember the date or anything) I can't really think of what the original sounds like, though.
  3. SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    I just listened to it and thought he had good tone.

:mad: Now I will fry you.
  4. Fry away! Lol...I just heard it again and still think it at least deserves a remix! :rolleyes:
  5. I'm a huge McCartney fan, and I don't like a lot of his Wings bass tones. Thuddy and duddy.
  6. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I always thought it was some kind of effect.
  7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I love the bass tone on that album. :) And Paul plays drums really well on that record. What a talented musician!
  8. Guess its all a matter of taste. I like most of McCartneys stiff just fine, but thuddy and duddy definately describes the tone on this one! Lol....
  9. Funny this came up...I heard the song on the radio this past weekend and it struck me that he had the perfect sound for that song. I was wondering if he was using typical flatwounds or maybe even black nylons. I find it to be a very applicable thick bass tone (for the song). You can CLEARLY hear every note.

IMO, Paul McCartney always seems to play perfect parts for the song. I feel the same way about John Paul Jones too.
  10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The photos on the poster included with the original LP show Paul playing a Fender Jazz Bass in the sessions.
  11. Ain't that the truth... Whether it's staying on one note like on "Jet" or something bouncy like "Penny Lane."
  12. chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I don't think I've ever seen Paul play a Jazz. I'd like to see that picture. It sounds like his Rick with flats on it to me.
  13. Wow! A Jazz? I never knew he played one either. I dunno, Im gonna find a copy of it and listen to it again through a couple of different systems and see. There is a possibility that it was the stereo I heard it on at the time. Im sitting here listening to a rough mix of our new CD and I hear alot of crappy bass tone on that as well...and it's ME playing...hahahaha!
  14. apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    I have always loved McCartney's tone on BOTR, both the song and the album. In fact, it is one of my favorite bass albums. It is difficult for me to hear the sounds as thuddy and duddy----I just don't hear it!
  15. chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I started thinking about this thread yesterday as I was walking out the door. I ran over and got the anniversary CD out to play in the car. As I was sitting at a red light, I pulled out the poster, and there it was. Paul playing an upside down Jazz!!!!
  16. Compare the sound to a "known" sound. Listen to any of the stuff off "Wings Over America" which you know is the Rick (watch "Rockshow"). It's not identical, but it's the same sound, less than 3 years later.