1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Paul McCartney vs Gene Simmons

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Vinnyboonbots, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Vinnyboonbots

Vinnyboonbots Banned

May 25, 2012
    I hope everyone will read that title with the irony with which is was intended.

Obviously, it's a tongue in cheek lampoon of the many troll threads that pop up. But, it got me thinking...

The Beatles are the most covered composers of the last half century. In terms of the actual AMOUNT of songs they may be the most covered of all time. Almost everything they've done has been re-done. I read somewhere that "Yesterday" alone has over a thousand recorded versions. of it. This doesn't include all the indie recordings -- everything from solo bass versions to salsa band versions. Symphony orchestras have played Beatles music. Jazz artists, country artists, you name it.

Now ask yourself -- how many Kiss songs have been covered by other artists?

Okay, okay, not looking to start a war. But it is amazing to think of the immense scale of McCartney's influence.

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Yeah, the Beatles made beautiful, sometimes weird, sometimes shocking, always genuine original music; at least after they quit playing live. No surprise people are still drawn to the music.

Kiss mainly just just rocked out.

3. skruch

skruch

Jul 16, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Just watched the "Tribute to George Harrison" DVD. WOW!

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Well, since this thread was posted in the "Bassists" sub-forum, I'd like to say that the ultra-broad scope of The Beatles' music isn't due to McCartney's qualities as a bass player. Of course he has an awesome style as a bassist, but that's something that a non-bassist or non-musician hardly cares about. What really matters (in terms of the band's huge success) is the music as a whole, and the band's achievements weren't exclusively (not even mostly) because of McCartney's contributions as an instrumentalist (his compositional skills are a different story). Obviously, Kiss couldn't reach such level of significance, but it has nothing to do with Gene Simmons' abilities as a bass player. Same can be said about a whole lot of artists.

My opinion, of course. My apologies if your post has a different intention. That's how I read it.

5. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    McCartney 1,000,000, Simmons 0.

OK, they both had immense success, but IMO McCartney had the biggest influence, as a songwriter, a singer, a bassist, and a legend. Kiss might be more fun to see though :bag:

It's like comparing apples to oranges, and that's kinda true about a lot of music. :D

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Paul mcCartney was one of the greatest songwriters and singers of his era.

Gene Simmons was part of a circus-like act that included music.

Paul was the better musician, but Gene was a better business man.

7. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    I'm gonna toss my 2 cents in. I've never seen gene Simmons play a REAL stand out bass line or anything special at all. Paul is a better musician in my opinion, and gene is a better business man. I think that's basically all it is.

8. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Well, as an isolated example, I think this performance can be compared to a McCartney work (again, in my opinion).

9. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    Gene Simmons threads always remind me of this:

YBz5W.

10. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Sums it up nicely. Paul made me want to play bass. Gene made me NOT want to go into marketing.

11. Vinnyboonbots

Vinnyboonbots Banned

May 25, 2012

A pretty forgettable song IMO. I guess walking diatonic 8th notes are regarded a notch about roots. Hardly special though. Stanley can sing . Solid drummer.

12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I am pretty sure Gene would win in a fight... and I don't even like the guy.

13. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    McCartney - Genius
    Simmons - i kindda like 'Family Jewels'

14. Gene Simmons a better businessman than McCartney?!?! I'd say their bank accounts say otherwise . . .

Not even going to comment on the bass playing/musicianship . . .

15. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    No, I will not. Why would you even try to implant such an ugly thought into my mind?

And if the idea is to highlight the immense influence of The Beatles, what could possibly be the reason for referencing Kiss - of all things? :eyebrow:

MM

16. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    MY first thought reading the thread title was "I'll give this 5 minutes before mods move it to the 'Bass Humor and Gig Stories' section" lol

I'm sure some people have covered KISS songs, I know for a fact they have a few prominent tribute bands out there. Now comparing them to the Beatles is like comparing rocks to pomegranates....TOTALLY different categories IMHO. I try and veer away from making comparisons like that because they are so different and have had some influence in different realms. KISS was about showmanship and they had some decently catchy tunes that are fun to jam along on. Beatles were more artistic in their songwriting and how they constructed songs into an entire, relevant album. IMO, Ace Frehley was the only person in KISS that was truly talented :meh:

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not liking KISS is un-American.

18. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Listen to some of their songs without the bass. Maybe ome Together or Paper Back Writer. He drove alot of the music from down there.

I remember years ago my cirlce was talking how Frank Zappa would be the most remembered 20 century composer. He isn't.

Good music only goes so far. Tim Hardin's Reason To Believe is a great song. Yet cover old sold the originals. By far. In todays world I think people ( not the kind that populate TB) are as influenced by the arrangment as they are the song.

19. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    oceanside
    Well, Gene does own the songs he wrote. Sony/ATV Music Publishing owns the Beatles tunes, except for "Love Me Do" and "P.S. I Love You".

As bassists, Paul has some chops. Gene is just background filler.

20. I think Gene accomplished more with what he had to work with.