1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Amps???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass Tees, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Bass Tees

Bass Tees

Feb 11, 2008
    Milwaukee
    What's the general concensus on Peavey amps? I was at my music shop last night trying out some Ampeg heads. Just for the hell of it I decided to plug into a Peavey Tour 450. I couldn't believe how nice it sounded. I'm actually thinking of going out and buying it... Anybody got one of these? How about the 700?

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My amp is a Peavey Max 160. Prbably about 4 years old? One of the last budget amps made in USA. I bought it as NOS a year or two ago; using an Eden D210T cabinet it sounds really good!

3. FanOfAlice

FanOfAlice

Nov 8, 2006
    Wisconsin
    i own the 700 and it when you push it kind of hard it just cuts out for a few seconds for no reason at random times. ive heard there is some mod you have to do to fix this but im am saving up for a GK. The amp overall when it works is ok the preamp is pretty good i have a hard time getting it to sound how i want, but im not that great with a graphic eq, allthough the frequencies they cover seem to be very low end based. i usually end up running my sansamp through the effects return. Overall the amp is very well built, Jacks all have stayed tight and its not all that heavy. i run it through an ampeg 810 and i feel i need more power as the clip light comes on when we have a loud practice. i have also run it through my peavey 115 and it sounds good, i think u need big speakers to really make the octaver shine. as it sounds awesome through the 15 but the 10s fart out. I dont know if i would recomend this amp. i guess it would depend on your style of music. i would most definitly stay away if you play metal or loud driving rock. For a little more money i would buy a GK. i wish i would have, How much would you pay for a 700? I might have one for sale. :)

o yea and i travel to the milwaukee area quite often. Girlfriend lives there. :)

4. AngryJason

AngryJason

Feb 23, 2006
    Sacramento CA
    I started on an older Peavey head (can't remember model, the high school owned it), and recently scored a '95 Peavey Mark VI XP head from a fellow TB'er (Thanks, False404!). IMHO, you can't go wrong with Peavey for a solid sound and quality build. Additionally, their customer support is awesome if you have questions, need advice, etc.

5. Bass Tees

Bass Tees

Feb 11, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Thanks for the advice guys. I am reading some reviews of the 700 and it sounds like you aren't the only one who has the problem with it cutting out. There is a mod you can do... not sure I want to mess with that.

I just sold my old amp and now I have about 1000 to spend. I am really ping-ponging back and forth on what I want to go with.

6. I just picked one up this week. I really like it. I did my homework when shopping for an amp. For me, in this class/price range, the Tour 450 wins hands down. I am playing it through a Carvin 1x15 600W 8ohm cabinet, and I really enjoy the headroom. For a solid state amp, it sounds relatively warm and round. If crunch is your thing, you will not be disappointed.

Disadvantages: It does not come with a foot switch. I really believe that amps should come with all the "peripherals" needed to fully utilize the amp. It is a mono switch ($25 at your local shop) and it controls the amps octivizer. This is not something I am in hurry to buy because I don't really use the effect that much. However, I wish the footswitch worked with the EQ defeat or even the mute switch (handy feature!) on the amp.

Keep in mind that I believe that most solid state amps in this price range sound pretty much the same. However, Peavey has a reputation for building bulletproof gear. Also the Tour series has a bunch of USEFUL features for the average bass guy... like me.

I am going to post a review of this amp as soon as I gig it.... or play it in rehearsal a few times.

Original Poster: If you have any questions about the amp, feel free to PM me. I am happy to help in anyway I can. A bunch of guys and gals here on TB helped to educate me on amplifiers and cabinets. I want to pay it forward.

GB

7. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    The amp has a protection system that switches on to protect the amp from being pushed too hard; the thing is, in time that thing starts to act by itself and turns on and off for no reason - many people had this problem, including me. Now the good news: it's an easy fix, all you have to do is remove that circuit from the amp. I've got the step by step instructions from a very kind TBer (thanks again!), so if anyone needs them, PM me with your email address.

8. rockinpop

rockinpop Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Lindenhurst, New York
    Take a look at Genz Benz. They are AWESOME bass amps. I just bought the GBE 750 and it is unbelievable !!! Check out the reviews and the feedback here in TB. Good luck !!

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I prefer ampeg myself ...

10. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Anyone have one of the new all tube Peavey's? Are they out yet?

11. Amokoma

Amokoma

Feb 4, 2007
    Norway
    I must say: if you find a Peavey Classic 400 in an acceptable condition - BUY IT!
    IMHO it's better (more versatile and powerful) than an Ampeg, it's relatively cheap (maybe not anymore tho), and I think it looks cool - without the logo.
    Too bad about the ridiculous weight, but I manage.

12. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    The cutting out problem is no longer an issue.

Only the first run did that.

If you get a new one you're home free.

If anyone needs instructions to fix an older one, PM me and I'll send you the instructions.

13. bilson

bilson

Oct 3, 2007
    My tour 700 cut out at first but after the mod was performed I have had no problems. I run a separate power amp and just use the preamp and am having amazing results.

The eq is great and you can really go wild with it and achieve some great sounds.

I would say go for the tour series heads.

14. Almost all Peavey stuff is incredibly tough and decent sounding for the money. Some Peavey stuff is incredibly tough and decent sounding by any standard. Outside of older, all tube stuff I'd probably choose Peavey over Ampeg.

15. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    I have a Tour 450 and I must say I like it a lot: the sound is massive! It's far superior to my ex Hartke 3500 - the Peavey can deliver a lot of low end and although some may find it a bit muddy, I can get a beefy muscular tone out of it, so I'm happy :) And after the mod was performed, I've got no other reliability issues whatsoever (and I bought it used). I can't think of a better amp for the buck - you can 't get as much power with so little money yet keeping your sound at a decent (high) standard.

16. CapeBass

CapeBass Guest

I use a MK VI head as a backup, never had any problems with it. I think they're very under rated actually.

17. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I've never tried the Tour, however, I have owned two Peavey amps in the past and currently use one of their cabs. They are very solidly constructed and a good bargain. The only downside I can think of is if you're really into your image. Some people look down on Peavey as "beginner" gear... whatever!

18. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    "Beginner"? Call me what you want...as long as you pay me, I'm cool!

Kim

19. false404

false404

Aug 14, 2005
    You're welcome, Jason - I'm glad you like it! I can't speak for other models, but the Mark VI is IMO an excellent amp. It pushes 2 ohms and to me has a very transparent and non-colored sound. I personally prefer a transparent sounding amp to ones that color your tone alot, like Ampeg can tend to do.

Just my $0.02, YMMV, etc, etc...

20. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    I've been playing the same Peavey amp for almost 30 years, that's the best endorsement I can give.