1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedal "coupler" question...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by hintz, Jan 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    I'm referring to these C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_41uKg2NVDaL__SY400_.

I have some on the way, but a good friend strongly advised against these as they can mess up the jacks!

But I did some research and found one source who said they can work perfectly provided the pedals are bolted down(with bike chain links or home-made clamps) and all at equal height so they don't move.

I'm putting my board back together and want my "always on" stuff as fail-safe as humanly possible, I will be running any FX through a switcher.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!

2. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    PS, I did a search and the search engine on here is useless as always..... I want up to date, real world thoughts on this anyways if at all possible!

Thanks again

3. Joey Cash

Joey Cash

Nov 1, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I don't have any experience with these either way, but I do have experience with searching Talkbass. Your best bet is to use google and just add Talkbass to whatever topic. Works way better than the site's search.

4. farace

farace

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    I don't have much experience, either, but I have a few of the straight ones, and I've found that even joining pedals of the same brand, there can be slight height variances between the adjacent pedals' jacks, and that can cause some vertical stress on them. The offset ones should eliminate that (though I can see where there could still be stress on the jacks if they're not exactly parallel).

I think I just talked myself out of using them.

TN WOODMAN and hintz like this.
  5. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    I use these. Same space but with flexibility so no potential for damage...
    EBS Sweden...
    1485109990222-1728797111.

LowRenzo, Honch, Nic. and 10 others like this.
  6. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    As long as the pedals and couplers can't move and the are not binding when secured, it should be OK. I think to avoid side loading the jacks, either connect and shim one pedal until they are the same height, or easier, get the offset type, connect and turn until both pedals are flat and level on the board. Then secure the pedals without shifting. If you are going to secure the pedals though, it seems a short 90 patch would last forever and be the least hassle.

You can narrow TB google searches to effects by adding this after keywords:

site:Effects [BG]

You can "site:" any forum or thread. Like this thread, "coupler site:Pedal "coupler" question..."

TN WOODMAN and hintz like this.
  7. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Gah, I got linked, site: then copy/paste the address for effects forum next it with no spaces.

This link will show the example:
    Google

hintz likes this.
  8. If they line up without resistance then you will be fine, just don't force them to fit.

hintz likes this.
  9. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    Quick question, short 90 patch?? And yes, I'm looking at shimming as a more than likely answer aside from having them all bolted down!!

Thank you

10. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    +1 for EBS

Gearhead17, SteveCS and hintz like this.
  11. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    I'm doing this because I've had some decent cables go bad right in the middle of a song without warning...im talking Mogami, Monster, planet waves, etc.

Nothing is worse to me than having technical difficulties on stage

12. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    I'm also looking to switch to "disaster area" cables or I guess EBS if they are really *all that*?!

gregmon79 likes this.
  13. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    Thanks! Its weird because it seems like I can type the same thing in and get different results every time?! Maybe its all in my head or something??

14. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    EBS Never failed me yet, great for space saving

madidus, Deak, hintz and 1 other person like this.
  15. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    They are 'all that'. No losses, no noise and built like tanks - there is a full metal chassis underneath the moulded section.

hintz likes this.
  16. Offset ones are better for joining different brand pedals.. Height and location of the 1/4" inputs will be the decider..

hintz likes this.
  17. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    Alright, screw it!! LOL you sold me on the EBS! I have read great things about them from I believe Ovnilabs IIRC

SteveCS likes this.
  18. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    Thanks everyone!! I do have these couplers on the way, but I ordered before I knew any better! I am gonna check out the EBS ones though as I've yet to try them and ill need cables for my FX section anyways...

At the bottom is a mockup for my new pedal board(I sent the wrong pic and edited)

Not pictured are ones on the way... C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_$_3(59). C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_$_3(60).

The top left corner will have the switch for the Darkglass 900 amp that's on its way as well! And I'm thinking long and hard about this beauty.... C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_$_3(61). I have a full range fEARful cabinet because its light, loud and pretty accurate to what the FOH gets, *but* I've come to prefer that "colored" cab tone so this will be the direct feed to the sound tech so I plan on putting it in the rack with the Darkglass amp as an always on thing! In fact the empress might go in there as well if I decide to get any more pedals beyond the aforementioned!

Anyways, you guys int the FX forum are the best!! Always helpful and quick to respond, so thank you!! I plan on being here much more than I have lately!! WP_20170121_22_48_54_Pro.

Also my new board(shelf converted) WP_20170122_07_01_20_Pro. WP_20170122_07_01_33_Pro.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    Sartori and SunnBass like this.
  19. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    I'm might still use a few of these couplers just for a little added security, but this will be for the always on stuff! Or I might not, we'll see...

SunnBass likes this.
  20. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    i was thinking about using the source audio neuro couplers for my two one series pedals...

hintz likes this.