1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Penn State

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rtslinger, Jul 23, 2012.

1. N.C.A.A. Fines Penn State $60 Million for Sandusky Case

The N.C.A.A. announced significant penalties against Penn State and its football program Monday, including a $60 million fine and a four-year postseason ban, in the wake of the child sexual abuse scandal involving the former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky.

The punishment also included the loss of some scholarships and the vacating of all of the teams victories from 1998 to 2011, but stopped short of forcing the university to shut down the football team for a season or more, the so-called death penalty. Still, the penalties are serious enough that it is expected to take Penn States football program, one of the most successful in the country, years before it will be able to return to the sports top echelon.

Read More:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/24/s...lude-60-million-fine-and-bowl-ban.html?emc=na

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I don't agree with the vacating wins. Paterno is dead, no need to penalize him further.

-Mike

3. It's a sad situation. I think the punishment should penalize those who are guilty. This punishment seems to be punishing many who are not. And MJ5150 is right, you can't punish Joe Pa anymore. Sandusky? They should turn him over to his victims and their families and let them administer justice as they see fit. They'd be no mercy for child molestors if I were king of the world.

I'm not a Penn State fan, but I always had great respect for the program and for Joe Pa. If someone had told me of the situation and events and asked me to guess which university it happened at, I'd probably have guessed 100 or more schools before I guessed Penn State.

Very sad indeed.

4. Factor88

Factor88

Jun 21, 2011
    Really? He overlooked horrific abuse in his zeal to protect his beloved football team AND his quest to be the college coach with the most wins. I'm stopping short of calling him a scumbag, but to allow him to retain that honor in light of what we know now would be a travesty.

And if you think that Paterno dying was a "penalty", come on. This man, his family, and his supporters, are LUCKY he's dead. It would be much worse on them if he were alive right now....

5. They (PS themselves) also removed Paterno's statue from the front of the football stadium. (and deservedly so)
    As to the sanctions instituted, It doesn't seem fair to me to penalize the students for the actions (or lack thereof) of a few school officials.

6. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I feel sorry for the people of Pennsylvania.
    They are the ones that will get stuck paying the fine.

7. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Sandusky's abuse of boys was proven to go back as far as 1998, and it was also proven that the adminstration in the athletic department and in the university knew about it. But they chose to bury it or look the other way, therefore allowing Sandusky to victimize even more boys. IMO the Penn State football team should be relegated to an FCS team, but it is possible that with these sanctions imposed by the NCAA that it will get so bad that it will become that anyway. Good riddance. Whatever they get, they deserve.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Paterno's death is not a "penalty" in my mind. What I meant was the man is now dead, what is the point in penalizing someone dead?

Those wins from 1998 on are also the result of efforts from several hundred men and women who had absolutely nothing to do with the scandal. Erasing those wins is erasing the work all of those individuals did the last 14 years. It's not about honoring Joe Paterno, it is about honoring the people who did the work to get those wins.

Emmert and the NCAA really fouled this up. Emmert went on and on about how this isn't a football scandal and how the scandal had nothing to do with giving PSU a competitive edge on the field. Then he comes out and penalizes all the people he said had nothing to do with it. Hypocritical in my opinion, but not surprising from the joke of an organization the NCAA is.

I sure hope someone is keeping track of that $60,000,000. I highly doubt it will be distributed 100% the way Emmert claims it will.

-Mike

9. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I heard all that and I'm from Penn State. I heard the rational.
    I still want to know, If what happened at PSU is not justification for a multi-year total ban on that program, just exactly what DO you have to do?

10. aborgman

aborgman Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Ypsilanti, MI 48197

The entire FOOTBALL CULTURE at Penn State had something to do with the scandal. It involved all levels of the university and local community - coaches, administrators, players, students, and on and on. Their deification of football directly led to the conditions which allowed this to happen.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    The football program would never be banned simply because it makes Emmert and the NCAA way too much money. The $60,000,000 fine is about one years worth of football revenue. Had this been a lesser D1 school, they would have received the death penalty.

Emmert and the NCAA wanted to come out today and look like they were taking a tough stand on child abusers, and looking out for children. They did some of that, but they were also careful to protect their own wallets,

-Mike

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Is yelling helping to make your point?

There was a problem at the top of the PSU food chain, no doubt about it. As you may remember, I advocated for a complete ban of the football program in the other threads. Going back 14 years to punish the people who had nothing to do with the scandal is not the right thing to do in my opinion. The fine and bowl ban make sense to me. The scholarships I'm not sure about as it will ultimately punish students down the road.

The double talk from Emmert is what has me sideways today. Maybe I need a few hours to finish digesting his drivel and calm down.

-Mike

13. PennStateStatePen.

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Funny, but nobody said that when USC and OSU got slammed. I love all of the selective compassion I'm hearing from people. Joe Pa had an opportunity to "defend" himself, but instead, he chose to lie to the Grand Jury. This man allowed little boys to be raped just to save the image of PSU. Instead of having Sandusky's pedo ass locked up, he told him not to bring any more boys on campus. Was that his way of saying "Don't do it here."?

And I don't want to hear about all of the "good he's done". Michael Vick bought homes for poor families, built churches, and bought school supplies for entire school, but when he did what he did to those dogs, none of that matter, just like none of Joe Pa's good deeds matter. If anything, they should have repositioned that statue to look the other way, since that's what he did.

15. the entire problem i see is everyone is still yelling "football" they just dont get it.. it keeps coming back to football.. which is why the covered it all up in the first place..

covered it up to keep the money, now they're crying cuz they are losing the money. i see a theme developing.

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    pedo_statue_paterno_1.

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I don't get it. You do know that statue is gone right?

-Mike

18. aborgman

aborgman Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Ypsilanti, MI 48197
    Just emphasis, not yelling.

There was a problem with the entire university and local community attitude toward football that allowed this to happen.

It wasn't just a problem at the top of the food chain (although they hold the most blame) - it was a problem with the very culture. That includes students, fans, the local police, and everyone involved.

The scandal didn't end 14 years ago - it started 14 years ago, and didn't end until a little while ago when they arrested Sandusky... who still had keys to the PSU locker room when he was arrested, and had been seen in football facilities mere weeks before.

One need only look at how some PSU folks are reacting to ANY culpability for JoePa and to the reactions to the statue removal to see that the problem with the culture surrounding JoePa and PSU football extends to this very day.

At the end of WW2 we forced Germans to go through de-Nazification. PSU needs to go through a de-JoePa-ification.

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I understand it started 14 years ago.

I would like to get your perspective since I may be a bit jaded from this side. What benefit is there to the children who were abused, and their families? What benefit is there overall to erasing the wins over 14 years? I'm trying to understand the intended purpose and benefit of vacating the wins. It does not compute in my mind. The rest does.

In my opinion, the school would be better off to suspend football operations altogether until all civil and criminal court cases have been resolved and any other lingering legal issues. I'm still not positive the house cleaning in the football program and administration was thorough enough.

-Mike

20. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    So disappointed and dismayed with Joe Paterno. There are some things in this world that are just unforgiveable regardless of circumstance.
    However, I am not the least bit surprised at the Penn State administrators. IMO, college administrators are world champions at avoiding accountability for anything. Let's see if any of them end up in jail.