1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pet Peeve - loading in/loading out

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by dheafey, Mar 26, 2018.

1. If no one has rewired it, then it's a two driver cab at 16 ohm, rated at twice the power handling of a single driver. If someone has rewired it to bypass the missing driver, then they might have simply jumpered the missing one, for a 5 1/3 ohm cab rated to handle 1.5 times the power of a single driver. Or they might have three in parallel for 2 2/3 ohm rated at thrice the power of a single driver. Or all in series for 24 ohm. O'm having trouble figuring how to get a 12 ohm cab.

2. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    This should be a criminal offence. It's almost as bad as selling pedals with the world's most adhesive velcro over the serial number sticker.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  3. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    and no box:)

ficelles likes this.
  4. QORC

QORC SUSPENDED

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    happens all the time with singers. but they are often the "star". I'm dealing with that now. I "no help diva" as my singer. couldn't be bothered with any of the gear.

5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Sorry, don't buy it. Either they are part of the band or they aren't. If they aren't, then they aren't in the band.

Korladis, bpmben and instrumentalist like this.
  6. QORC

QORC SUSPENDED

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    yeah, well, when you are the "new guy", and the singer is married to the drummer, and they own all the gear, you're not in a position to define who is "in the band" or not....btw, the she does a GREAT job as singer. truly. and I like her. but I was surprised after the first show how quickly she disappeared when it came to breaking down and loading the stuff. *shrugs*. that's all. it mostly fell to the husband/drummer to do it all

7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    AH. NOW you say...

8. QORC

QORC SUSPENDED

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    yes, sorry I didn't put that tidbit in there. every situation is different. I have to put up with it, or leave the situation. but it's unlikely to change unless the drummer hubby forces it to be and he's as whipped as they come. lol

9. Beejky

Beejky

Nov 21, 2017
    Loisville, KY
    Boom!

Ata Girl!

10. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Load in: when the drummer loads in seven hours before everyone else and stacks his massive road cases on the back wall of the modest bar room stage (rather than remove them from the building or store them elsewhere), thereby eliminating three feet of space on the back wall of the stage. Then again, storing his extra snare near my feet was not cool either.

Load out: wanting to be cool and assist everyone else with load out, but they're consistently hanging at the bar, telling stories, and not tearing down. I gotta go guys.

11. dakink

dakink

Aug 31, 2009
    Milwaukee area
    We have both a male and a female singer. She always puts in 100% effort with load-ins and outs. But the dude? Not so much. For load-in, he sets up his mic stand, hangs 50 pounds of beads and skulls from it, and, well, that's it. Like every effing time. She, on the other hand, sets her mic stand up and starts setting up the board and running cables while the rest of us are setting up our instruments. Most of our gigs are small so I don't run my bass through the board, and I don't sing, so no mic. But I always help set up and run cables when I'm done with my bass amp.

I thought it must not bother anyone but me...

A few gigs ago I see the male singer standing around drinking a beer and watching me run his mic cable. I snapped. I bark out something to the effect that I don't use the *!&$*! p.a. at all, and it's basically all he uses, so why the *!&$*! am I doing his set up every *!&$*! gig? There was a moment of silence on stage and then the drummer started clapping and the others were all smiling.

Only words out of his mouth the rest of the gig were lyrics.

Guess what? He was Johnny on the Spot helping out at the next gig...

12. ^^^ Wait & see how it goes another ten gigs down the road....

Mr_Moo and dakink like this.
  13. redwingxix

redwingxix Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    LOAD IN:
    BL likes to get to the venues way too early for my tastes for set up. I typically use a rumble 500 cab and a Jbass, so set up is one trip in and I'm ready in two minutes. I always help load in pa, drums, keys and guitar gear, but BL sets up the PA and other guys set up their stuff. I always offer to assist, but since we are there super early there is plenty of time and my clumsy assistance isn't needed. I'm really, really bad at just standing around so there's nothing for me to do for the next two hours other than get a big head start on drinks.

LOAD OUT:
    The other guys in the band take their sweet time breaking down their gear and packing away everything just how they like it and will often go socialize before they are done with it, meaning that I have to wait around more to help carry it out to the van. The bar is closed now AND I started drinking two hours before you guys did, so let's go already!

Yea, there are worse problems I could have.

14. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    We all play something, and every one sings, and we usually have a house PA and sound guy, yeah,I have it pretty good :)

My biggest problem is getting my singer to LEAVE his stuff and go talk to people after we perform. I want him back on the merch table ASAP, talk, move units man, I'm happy to move his amp and guitar off stage.

Mr_Moo and Jimmy4string like this.
  15. Royal Marine

Royal Marine

Sep 18, 2017
    The person who will waste a cumulative two minutes walking around an obstacle 20 times rather than spend ten seconds moving it.

Loading out: Get the big stuff in the van, THEN coil the leads on a clear stage, no snagging.

Gearhead17 and redwingxix like this.
  16. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    This is my friend Paul Carroll. He's a great drummer. Great. Load ins and outs with him tend to run long.

17. caledoneus83

caledoneus83

Feb 26, 2018
    SC
    When the drummer shows up to the gig late and expects us to load in and assemble his drumset, then complains that it isn't set up right....

Bipslapper likes this.
  18. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Cape Cod, MA
    ...And... when the drummer is hammered and you don't fully know it until he looses time, drops sticks (both!) and drops F-bombs just because...

19. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    I don't rule with dictatorial impunity, but I would not tolerate a drunk drummer for a second. Not only fired, but I would alert every BL within our musical community. Too few gigs, lots of musicians- weed out the losers.

buldog5151bass likes this.
  20. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Cape Cod, MA
    Agree, that's why I typed "hammered and you don't fully know"... because he seemed fine when we started the set. I quickly found out and put an end to it. You are correct, I treat a gig like a job; it is an obligation I take seriously.

Paulabass likes this.