1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pet Peeve - loading in/loading out

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by dheafey, Mar 26, 2018.

1. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

Sep 27, 2003
    Newberg, OR
    I see you're from L.A. Have you ever played the Whiskey? You get 15 mins between bands. That's 15 mins total for the previous band to get their stuff off the stage and for the next band to set up (including mic placement). They don't take no BS there. It's kind of refreshing actually.

MobileHolmes likes this.
  2. Back in the day when my wife and I did a duo, there was a regular gig where they stuck us on the floor, no stage, between the men’s toilets and the gambling machines. Prestige huh! Makes your gig so much nicer when they give you that “special” feeling.

dheafey likes this.
  3. That’s my line too - The music’s free, you pay for the lug!

Bunk McNulty likes this.
  4. BtaylorTheRogue

BtaylorTheRogue

Nov 14, 2016
    Good. I'm glad they aren't stiffing him.

5. BtaylorTheRogue

BtaylorTheRogue

Nov 14, 2016
    I notice you live in Alabama, but up north, especially when outside, warming up the horns is a thing. It's done silently, though.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  6. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    It really bugs me when my band thinks they’re being efficient by just getting everything on the stage as fast as they can, and putting it in a big pile right in the middle, but then we have to move everything around 2 or 3 times because everything is in everything else’s damn way!.. Instead of just putting each amp, speaker, drum, etc.. where it supposed to go in the first place as we bring it all in. No matter how many times I’ve tried to tell them how to do it, the next gig it’s just a big pile to sort thru again. They’re lucky they are good musicians, haha.

My other pet peeve is well-meaning fans who want to help us pack up and carry out the gear, but they don’t know what goes where, and they’ll take bags to the car that still have cords or other stuff to be put in them... then on the next gig, we’re searching for a speaker cable or something because it wasn’t put back in its normal spot.

7. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    When I see bands/musicians and have chatted with them, I always offer to help carry things or wind cables.
    1.) 90% of the time, they decline because "they have a system." Total respect for that.
    2.) The other 10%, I take no action unless specifically directed by the person in charge.

But I feel like I should offer.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    ELynx, retslock and The Bass Clef like this.
  8. Jakeman

Jakeman Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    It drives me nuts when the other guys in the band don't even consider stage real estate. I once played a gig at a relatively large theater where the drummer set up in the middle of the stage, as is common, and I set up right next to him. Next thing I know, both guitarists and keyboard player are set up on the same side as me in a total cluster. I ended up unplugging and moving to the giant open space on the other side. I just don't get it.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  9. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Played a big east coast club a few years ago. Got there last, but not late. Plenty of parking out back, stage door access, nice easy ramp all the way up to the stage, guitarist’s amp set up right in front of the gate. No way around.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  10. Arknark

Arknark

Mar 15, 2018
    Hey everyone! And yeah, I'm definitely with you on that one, or bands that take a half hour to set up, and then play a short set.... *shakes head*

11. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    Singer divas not helping anyone out, especially with load-out. I've experienced this multiple times. what was funny was that one band complained that I wasn't helping everyone else -- when the singer never lifted an effing finger. She came late after everything was set up, then left right after the show before the stuff was loaded out

Mr_Moo likes this.
  12. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    Here's a load-out pet peeve. Often times, we are playing late at night and maybe far away. I simply want to go home after I'm done. but if I'm expected to help do load out for the drummer, the PA, etc, why are these people off having drinks right after the show for 30 minutes before breaking down? How about everyone breaking down immediately, THEN getting your drinks? some of us want to get home before 3:30 am

redwingxix, Bipslapper and ELynx like this.
  13. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

Sep 20, 2008
    I was in a progressive metal band once where the guitarists brought their entire Space Command Module rack setups to small gigs. It was very embarrassing to me if our gear was stuck in a corner and STILL ate up far more floor space than the audience!

There is a second part to that story. Sometimes one of the guitar amps would cease to make sounds. Rather than plug straight in, these gear addicts would troubleshoot the issue in the middle of a set for extra mortification.

Even though I'm a guy that likes effect pedals and sound-sculpting, that experience caused me to play stripped-down for a decade!

Mr_Moo, Jimmy4string and trailer like this.
  14. Incredible!

15. trailer

trailer Thumper Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2008
    Guntersville, Al.
    I'm aware of that...it gets cold enough (too cold for me sometimes) down here to cause issues for "horn stars" from time to time.

16. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Feb 26, 2009
    Belgium
    Singer in my current band is of the no-finger-lifted variety. Whatever, my gear is sufficiently light. But the other day during rehearsal he put his lyric sheet stand right in the space where my bass' head is. I told him to move it. He said: "no it's fine here, no worries"... I just placed my headstock smack over his lyrics. He got the message.

I look forward to our first gig, cos aside from not helping, he picks the least convenient spot to stand, and stays there while we tell him to get out of the way. Every damn rehearsal...

Mr_Moo, Jimmy4string and Gearhead17 like this.
  17. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I can't really complain. It's reached the point where complete setup (subs/tops/ everyone's personal gear/mic's run/ light truss rear/ 2 minibar 4's out front can be done in about an hour. Teardown usually runs longer because everyone is tired, people talking to the band, etc.

18. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I would have a talk with the band. If he's not willing to help, he shouldn't be in the band.

19. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    This one used to really get me... and in fact was the final straw for me giving up playing for a long time
    Like many here, I was the band sound guy/driver too, so I never drank at gigs.
    I also worked early shift next day at the time.
    Repeatedly asked the rest of the band to get their gear loaded with varying degrees of compliance after every gig.
    I finally had enough one night about 100 miles outside Dublin at a dancehall in the middle of nowhere.
    I'd got my gear and the PA loaded, and the rest of them were still drinking.
    I just said screw it, and left them there.
    It gave me some considerable satisfaction watching them run out of the venue after me as they realised I was driving away.

Apparently they had to spend the night in a very cold damp barn, and spent the night's takings on a taxi home the next day.
    There was a 'frank exchange of views' a couple of days later which resulted in me leaving the band...ohh, also breaking the singer's jaw with a well-thrown punch.

ELG60, Jimmy4string, Mr_Moo and 2 others like this.
  20. marmadaddy

marmadaddy

Oct 17, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    "That was not included in our contract, but I can let you do it for $150 payable in advance, thank you."

Stinsok, Mr_Moo and instrumentalist like this.