1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pet Peeve - loading in/loading out

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by dheafey, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Our drummer smokes weed and has a drink after we play, but never before.

instrumentalist likes this.
  2. Korladis

As for my pet peeves having to do with load-in/load-out...

People who take up two full parking spaces. When the vocalist puts something in my van wrong and so I have to rearrange it. When the prior band takes forever and a day to get their stuff off the stage. When none of the other bands want to arrange a way for us to all share gear despite everyone using some variation of the same goddamn 4x12 cab, so there are a bajillion of them taking up space in the venue. When some dipstick has put a drink or something on something of mine. Other bands spilling their drinks on the stage, so now my cables are going to get wet and sticky and gross. Morons trying to drive down Hemlock Alley in SF while bands are loading out and honking their horns because their way is blocked, the idiots. People standing in the way when I'm carrying stuff or rolling my cab and amp. Etc.

Gearhead17 likes this.
  3. ^^ Tough life....

Korladis likes this.
  4. Korladis

Doesn't all usually happen at the same show.

instrumentalist likes this.
  5. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    People who don't help.

6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Drummers always carrying in a mountain of gear and cases making me wait to claim my 2x4 space for the night.:rollno:

7. Drgonzonm

Drgonzonm

Sep 4, 2017
    American SW
    Until you learn how to coil cords using the over-under, please stay away from everyone's cables and cords. If you want to helpful show up early to a rehersal, and ask to be taught. Gig night is not the time to learn.
    Over-under helps with improving cable and cord life. Fewer kinks

zjanderson and ak56 like this.
  8. Drgonzonm

Drgonzonm

Sep 4, 2017
    American SW
    Our band uses fill in when we play. I help set up the backline run my cables against the wall and tie into the backline. Then the KB comes in unplugs my cords from my power strip and complains he does not have enough recpts for his equipment. He doesnt provide a power strip The BL asks me to move, so l move only place is next to food table. I end getting knocked around like a pin ball. Yes, I'm not playing then I hear I don't hear the bass.
    I am vocal about lack of space, not loud, but not backing down.
    The way I figure it, every is given one channel on the channel amp. Every one has to provide a DI equiv. BL has say on volume including any players
    These rules are written. The BL is a dictator by our choice.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  9. Drgonzonm

Drgonzonm

Sep 4, 2017
    American SW
    Spouse And I headed a fiesta where 5 groups were giving their Time, they were making money selling merch. The foh, who would be paid, the gentleman ran his snake right the middle of the dance floor. Additionly the fiesta staff had to move food through a pathway also blocked by the snake. When told the snake was tripping hazard, and the snake was subject to damage (being run over). The foh then said my contract says the fiesta is responsible, for damage. The foh was told to move the snake (this a couple hours before the first band is to play.) The foh threatened to bail. He was told he could go, but he would have to haul outside the pedestrian area. I told him, to expect a treble damage suit exposing him to a possible loss of 80,000.
    The foh ran cable overhead out of harms way. A letter was sent to an organization that had oversight over the organization holding the fiesta. A letter was sent to the pbs station who had recommended the foh.
    We even ran a special circuit so the foh could power his equipment.
    Bottom line foh was there for our convience. We could operate without The foh. The bands could provide the equipment and the show. Would go on. (Most band's chose not to tie into the foh's system.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  10. SWRnut

SWRnut Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Columbia, SC
    One of our guitarists is the first to complete his setup and decides to noodle for thirty minutes while the rest of the band bust their asses to setup the lighting and sound.

11. Get to venue at call time for setup. Every other duckwit's cases on my riser.