1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pete Wentz plays what bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crack-boom, Mar 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crack-boom

crack-boom

Jun 14, 2008
    New Zealand
    So I was looking at my friends facebook as ya do and noticed that she had been to a Fall Out Boy concert and got a pic of Pete Wentz playing his bass. And I noticed some odd about it. The little bat inlay was on the 9th fret and he had a pink strip on the 12th with no dot inlays on the fret board either...

Also noticed that he had some seymour duncans too.

So does he actually play the production Squier live? or what does he play?

Pics
    Production:
    [​IMG]

Live:
    [​IMG]

2. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    He's got a Fender.

I think they made a Squier, because most kids can't afford Fender, and nobody but kids listens to FOB.

3. TheGrizz

TheGrizz

Nov 19, 2007
    Athol, MA
    Sponsored Artist: Free Idea Clothing
    He's probably playing a custom Fender with Squier decals to keep up appearances. Not that it would matter either way.

4. lorenk

lorenk

Apr 8, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    pete wentz plays bass?

5. beni_25

beni_25

Aug 13, 2008
    who cares about pete wentz

6. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    I would buy one of those because they look pretty cool. The only problem is that people who know who's sig it is would think I like Fall Out Boy.

+3

7. +1

I knew he regularly commits some form of musical degradation, just wouldn't call that 'bass.'

8. Sharp Objects

Sharp Objects

Mar 1, 2006
    Florida
    I believe in an interview in a bass magazine, Pete referred to himself more as the song writer then the bass player, and he admitted to his lack of skill. I applaud him for that.

I listen to AND enjoy to Fall Out Boy. They put on a great show live, and Pete is actually a very nice guy. I guess no one here can say that since none of you have met the guy. The singer, Patrick, is also totally chill. I don't know why you guys can hate a guy/band so much because they play "emo" music. Or is it just because it's popular?

My girlfriend has his Squier signature. It's actually very nice, sounds great and if anyone complains about the lack of tone knob, go look at the Mark Hoppus sig and see how popular it is. If I'd own any Squier it'd be this one.

And I'm not a kid, I'm a sophomore in college. In your face. :)

Edit: Here is a better picture of the bass live, when I saw them play.
    pw.

9. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    That's clearly not the same bass as the first photo. The inlays are completely different. I've seen the first one before.

I think the first one is his original bass. Don't know whether it is Squier or Fender with decals, but the official Squier is based on the original one, although they aren't exactly the same.

10. His original bass that the signature was modeled after was a Fender custom.

Since the Squier signature came out he at least looks to be playing the same Squier model that is sold to the public. At least it looks like it.

Even if it was off the shelf (which I highly doubt) he can afford to get it professionally worked on and set up. My guess is that they give him an upscale one with a Squier logo.

If he does however play exactly what the kids can buy kudos to him as that shows he stands behind what he puts his name on.

11. Sharp Objects

Sharp Objects

Mar 1, 2006
    Florida
    Live, he definitely has more then one. He has one with a different decal, that isn't the bat/heart. Any bass that was black and had a red pickguard had the Squier logo, from what I saw at least.

I know that he has a bunch of Fender P-basses, and I'd bet that he uses those for recording, but live, he probably always uses the Squier.

12. I remember reading an interview with Mike Dirnt where he said he played lots of MIM Fenders on stage because he was rough with them and would smash them.

At the end of the night his techs would gather the usable pieces and cobble together another bass.

13. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    +1

+10000000000

14. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    He just plays whatever Ashley buys for him, no matter how many strings, or what its made of.

He played his wedding ring once, and the song sounded exactly the same. ;)

15. BAHAHAHAHHA oh that made my day!

16. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Yes, his custom bass is a Squier. Proof that he is nothing but a marketing tool.

17. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    Now he is playing a another Custom Shop Fender:

Looks cooler than the red/black combo i think (the black/gold)

18. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    Exactly what I was thinking.

19. This'll hurt a few of you, but a sophmore in college IS a kid. Even if you wanna argue the "I can fight in a war and vote...grrrrr!!!", I'll counter with "inability to process emotions rationally", re: the 'in your face' that punctuated a post riddled with subjective holes passed off as fact predicated by your belief that you are closer to the "truth" than the rest of TalkBass.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.