1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PF-50T - should I pull the trigger?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Engle, Feb 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. I just sold my NXT for exactly the amount I need to buy a PF-50T.

I've played one for a few minutes in a store and liked what I heard, but wonder how it will work on a band situation.

I play upright and electric in a jazz/R&B/funk band. Lately I've been using a PF350 with an SVT210AV. In bigger rooms I'll add my SVT-115EN or SVT-210EN.

What do you think?

2. Alexander

Alexander Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    It would have to be a pretty low volume gig, with that setup (I'd think) - especially if you need clean headroom. If so, I bet it would sound killer!

B-string likes this.
  3. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Yes.

4. It doesn't need to be completely clean, as long as it sounds good:D A lot of our gigs are relatively quiet and I can run a line out to my PF350, a power amp or the house system for bigger shows.

5. I'll just cut to the chase and say, Jimmy says yes! And when Jimmy talks, people listen. Oh yea, he'll be here any minute.

MattZilla, 5thsand4ths and Esoge like this.
  6. I think if u struggle for volume with the 350w amp, you'll definitely struggle far more with a 50w amp.
    That's my 2c anyway

pcake, GregC, jwindham and 1 other person like this.
  7. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    I'd say the pf-50 main market is the bedroom playing cork sniffer's crowd. But that's not to say it wouldn't be a good studio amp.
    In live situations I imagine an amp with that little watts is good for really quiet gigs like coffee shops or used as a DI.
    If you want similar tone with a bit more volume the v-4 might be a bit more appropriate to your needs

Mastermold, boamedt and brbadg like this.
  8. brbadg

brbadg

Nov 10, 2006
    Timonium,Maryland
    You would really have a hard time selling me that 50 watts was enough for ANY gig with drums!

pcake likes this.
  9. jbd5015

jbd5015 Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Boalsburg, PA
    you need the right cab.

i pair it with an SVT212 and its plenty for me. If you need more watts, pickup a power amp. ive been giggin it for over a month now and havent felt i needed more. I play in a rock 5 piece band.

my back-up amp is an Ashdown ABM 500 (500watts...). I can only make it as loud as my PF50 before i get dirty looks, and it doenst sound nearly as good.

It has 2 DIs for FOH. If you play in a mature band that listens and understands playing dynamics, appropriate stage volumes youll be more than happy with the PF50.

Pull the trigger!!! Check out the portaflex thread about cases for it though. Im selling my V4B because of this amp!

10. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Jimmy's on a cruise ship gig for a few weeks.

I've done plenty of gigs with my 25 watt B15N. Single speaker, 25 watts. In the right band situation or with full FOH support it's not at all an issue. Don't expect to be playing doom metal with a 50 watt tube amp an 2x10 cab, but if low volume works for your band then it could be a great pickup.

johnpbass likes this.
  11. Esoge

Esoge

Jun 22, 2014
    Glassboro, NJ
    Do it.

Do it.

12. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    IME, the V4B (100 watt all tube) was way too loud for an eight piece rock band, so I gather a Pf-50T with those cabs would do fine.
    Haven't tested it with a gig, though.
    I did test it in a music store with a SVT210AV and also a SVT15e, and it's a killer amp, IMHO!

13. Aria - I don't think I can sell my wife on the idea of a bass amp in the bedroom!

I used to have a 50W Legend guitar amp (tube preamp/SS power amp) that I tried a few times playing hard rock with a loud drummer. It actually kept up really well, but it was voiced for guitar, so I sold it to a metal guy that was going to run it along with another amp.

My present band is on the quiet side. Even when the guitarist & I are wailing away, it's not really that loud. Most gigs these days I'm bringing out a PF-350 & SVT210AV cab. I've usually got the PF-350 at about 12 o'clock on the gain and master.
    I'll keep the PF-350 and If the PF-50T doesn't have enough jam sometimes, I can use it as a 20lb preamp. I just need to adapt from the balanced line out of the PF-50T to the unbalanced effects return on the PF350. Or get another SVT210AV and run 2 cabs off the PF-50T:D

14. pbassjbass

pbassjbass

Jun 21, 2013
    Maryland
    I played for years, through the 70's with a 50 watt bassman, on 3-5 piece (with drums) barroom dance jobs. Works great if the band plays together on the volume issues. I never had problems with room resonance at that volume level.

15. My original V4B at 100 watts is very loud. I have the gain on 3 in the rock band I use it in. I'm pretty sure I could use the PF50T with the right speaker set-up....I'm thinking two of the 15's or 410's.

16. tmw

tmw Gold Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Delmar, NY
    Yes.

17. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

I used an Ampeg B15S for around 30 years. Sometimes i wish it had more volume, so the band turned down. I do not remember what it was rated but with only 2 7027A power tubes it could not have been much. It might be fun to noodle around with a PF-50T. The main thing is to not expect any amp to do more than it was designed for. The kid at GC the other day explained to me that everyone has FOH support. So that's cool. My last gig was a celebration of Life and we did not need FOH support.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

18. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008

Here is the sales literature for the B-15S: Early 70s B15S. It is rated at 60W.

An advantage of the PF-50T is that it has both balanced preamp DI and a power amp out which can be used without the speaker connected. So with FOH support, that can come in handy. But bands that gig with a low wattage amps usually play at lower levels. As you said, the amp has to suit the application or have PA support.

19. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    My v4b reissue is very loud i bet the 50 watt pf 50 would be great.

20. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i've never found 50 watts to be loud enough for anything but a small coffee house gig, if even that. i could see 50 watts working for a jazz gig in a small venue with a gentile drummer, but for funk? it would be way too quiet for any funk i've seen played.