1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PICKS

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by The Ripper, Apr 21, 2009.

1. ok so I know all about slapping and using your fingers... But how do i use a pick on a bass...Btw any advice would be great and i don't know if this is the right place to put this.

2. sarnz

sarnz

Oct 6, 2008
    im pretty sure you throw it at the strings from a distance of about 3 feet

3. well all I can tell you is how i use picks on my bass......I like using them for clarity and pronounced bass playing. I am a finger bass plaer 90% of the time but on certain tunes I like to add power and clarity.The picks I use are called Ricrock made in Canada..I love em'..you'll find them on eBay too!:bassist:

PBass club # 735
    Passive club#117
    Big Cab club #61
    Ampeg club # 436

4. metalbass777

metalbass777

Sep 3, 2006
    You don't use a pick on a bass! Are you nuts? Picks are for gui****s!

5. Usually rest the pinkie side of my hand against the bridge, hold the pick with thumb and index finger and away you go :)

I'd also like to point out that anyone ignorant enough to say picks aren't for bass should probably be a guitarist, with levels of ignorance like that.

Picks give a totally different sound and attack to finger style :)

6. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Watch any number of the 956,439,842,385,856.01 videos of people playing bass/guitar with a pick. Look at the close-ups of the picking hand. Imitate that.

7. Any certan kind of pick?? like i got a dunlop heavy one.. And How long does it take to get your fingers fast and used to playing??

8. sarnz

sarnz

Oct 6, 2008
    yes, on a serious note, i like to use picks on some songs (i'm a recorder, not really a player)

i think picks sound best when you want that bouncy, springy tone. IMO there's no other way to really get it.

9. My fingers are slow! lol

10. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Yeah, real bassists use a bow. :rolleyes:

I use a pick about 65% of the time. Usually I form my index and middle fingers into a sort of 'claw' and grasp the pick between them and my thumb. I only use picks that are 1.5mm-2mm for bass.

11. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Picks have always been harder for me to play fast with than my fingers. Probably because bass strings offer a lot more resistance than guitar strings. I use Dunlop 1.14's because they don't sound as sharp and twangy as other picks. Actually, they kind of sound pretty close tone-wise to my fingers.

John Entwistle was a great pick player - just watch some youTube videos...Like this one!

12. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    You gotta just get a pick and find out what's comfortable for you. I always have my hand anchored to the bridge when I pick, but some use more of a floating hand style. Some pick way up towards the neck. As far as picks go, I use heavy ones. Used to just go for Fender Heavies, but years ago I switched to the small Dunlops shown here.
    1153431100_NYLON_JAZZ_47R_GRP_463X3.

13. O and another thing Why does my bass seem smaller then the rest... I understand its my first bass and it don't need to be perfect. But its 20 frets and it just seem smaller... Search Washburn xb 100 and see if its normel cause idk

14. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    Yeah, real bassists do not use picks when playing with pizzicato technique. :rolleyes:

15. VincentGrim

VincentGrim Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2008
    First, find a pick size that you are comfortable with. I personally had to back off from 1.5m to .88m. And yes, watch videos of people doing it, but keep in mind that there is literally no wrong way to play with a pick, the videos are just for an idea. Ultimately, it will come down to where on the bass YOU think sounds best and what pick hold YOU are most comfortable with. I forget who, but if you look into it there have been well known players that actually play with the side of the pick, rather than the tip.

As for my comfort-zone? .80-.90mm, thumb on the top of the pick, index and middle finger on the bottom, playing up near the fretboard and sometimes down closer to the pups((p-bass)). I don't go near the bridge because I find that it is toooo sharp. IMO, the areas that I play give a clean, crisp pick attack and a nice percussive sound.

:bassist:

P.S. Wear that bass low!!! :bag:

16. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Wrong. Wear it where it wherever you get the most comfortable wrist angles.

17. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

It's called sarcasm. I was poking fun at the "You're not a real bassist if you use a pick" nonsense. But I suppose that understanding a joke is too much to ask sometimes.

18. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I use the traditionally shaped Dunlop Nylon picks (the black 1mm) when I feel like picking. I'm equally back with a pick or my fingers so I'll use whatever floats my boat at any given time.

19. VincentGrim

VincentGrim Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2008

It was a bit of a joke, hence the little emoticon. Satire.

20. I use a pick 100% of the time ever since I started for 18 years now.
    Like basses - picks are of personal taste. I like Dunlop Nylon .46mm or .60mm, and they're fairly thin, but I choke up heavily so just the very tip is sticking out from below my fingers.
    When I'm playing my thumb, and lower palm just grazes over the strings.

Here's a short video of David Ellefson using a pick >