1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickup Selection based on key?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Cotsey, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Cotsey

Cotsey

Sep 14, 2011
    I was playing with another bass player the other day and he told me that he blends more of the neck pickup for major keys and more of the bridge pickup for minor keys.

Does this sound right? I've always just gone for what fits the song/band best, and basing it off of the key seems like a pretty basic generalisation.

What do you do?

2. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Bwahahahahah....

Yeah, anyways... You're good. Don't change a thing.

3. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008
    Not really, blend your pickup to whatever sounds good to you for that specific tune. Sometimes a minor key can require a brighter sounding bass and so forth. It really has more to do with the feel of the tune... not all minor tunes sound/feel the same and not all major tunes sound/feel the same so there is no reason to make it so strict.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sheesh! Weird theories come up sometimes, but this one is right up there with the weirdest.

5. Cotsey

Cotsey

Sep 14, 2011
    That's what I thought. Thanks guys.

6. If he has this ritual, let him.
    But it's nonsense. :)

7. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Makes no sense. What if the music change key halfway through?

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Big +1.

9. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    The basic idea of different timbres suiting different scales is fine - the level of percieved consonance and dissonance is affected by the overtones in the note. But from that POV I would expect him to do the reverse of what he does...

OR... maybe a bright twangy sound together with a major key just sounds too... happy?

10. I can actually sort of understand this, as far as moods go with the thin vs thick sound, but as a general rule? Sounds like he's working of thought more than sound.

11. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Rolling back the bridge pickup makes my coffee taste darker.

12. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Interesting. Me likes a good cup of dark coffee. Ethiopian beans if possible.

13. I'm trying to imagine how he would play a chromatic metal riff. *Reaches frantically for the pickup pan knob in between notes*

14. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    This

15. Does he suggest specific techniques based on tonic notes? Such as always slap in the key of A?