1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pics of inside Ampeg cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by heath_r_91, Jul 18, 2008.

1. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    Endorse:Artus-Basshanger-Dava-EC-Hartke-Orange-InEarz-SHS-Tigi
    I am thinking of building a few speaker cabinets, and would like to be able to see the insides of some ampeg speaker cabinets.

I'm not too picky on which one, or where it was made, I'd just like to be able to take a look inside.

Thanks in advance!

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

You will also need exact interior dimensions and port dimensions so you can properly construct the cabinet.

That said, this info will only be correct if you use the exact same drivers Ampeg used. If you use any other speakers, the cabinet dimensions will be dictated by the driver specs.

3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    to me, there is nothing special at all in the design of ampeg cabinets. i remember talking to my good friend Bob Rufkar that was the rep responsible for putting the Ampeg SVT on the map in '69 when he got the rolling stones and the faces to use them. he used to say, "they just load alot of cheap 32 ohm tens in a basic non-ported cab, and with that many tens, it has to sound big." i always laughed at that remark, but i think that he was right.

4. Rick Auricchio

Back then that's how they designed cabinets.

Thiele and Small's paper didn't come out till the early 70s, at which point real cabinet design began.

5. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    who cares? if they sounded great, they sound great. i think that people make too much out of the new "science" and the real way to tell is by listening. i don't listen to a computer program or a piece of paper, i listen to a speaker cabinet.

the programs can be helpful to get you in the ballpark or to maximize a small cabinet's characteristics, but with something as large as a n 810, IMO almost anything will work.

6. Rick Auricchio

Yes, that's true. In those days one built cabs mainly by trial and error. You built something, tried it, built it over again, and stopped when you got something good enough to sell.

I am certainly not interested in working that way; I don't intend to spend months of woodworking and trials. I'd much rather start with a calculated design.

7. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    i'm not in disagreement with you. all that i'm saying is that building speaker cabinets is not rocket science and i've heard alot of "calculated" designs that still sound terrible, as well as some that "shouldn't" sound good theoretically, but somehow sound great.

8. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    I realize what was said about the t/s parameters.

I just want to see the overall construction and things like that. Any pictures would be much appreciated!

Thanks a lot for all the input that has already been stated!

9. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    lunch time Bump?

10. okabass

okabass

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland,Lahti
  11. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    I find this genuinely interesting. Do you have some examples? Which designs/cabs etc? In what way was the sound "bad"? OCuld it have been the source (bass/guitar, effects, amp, etc).

TIA

12. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
  13. okabass

okabass

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland,Lahti
    HI

Why then the SVT amp is so sophisticated and great sounding? It doesn't make sense to me, that you first make a suberb 300 W bass amp and then put some cheap speakers in some "basic" big wooden box. Come on. Why 32 ohm? I bet 8 ohm would have been cheaper. An open back cab would have been cheaper. Etc.

I belive they intelligently -with big ears- build and test the amp& cab. And they ended what we now we call a classic or the king of bass amplification.

14. MusicMan810

MusicMan810

Apr 2, 2008
    Sorry for no pics (my cab is stored at practice spot) but...I recently picked up a vintage ampeg svt 810 from the 70's. Its angled back cab with the built in dolly. It has a pretty ugly appearance on the outside obviously for being a 30 year old cab. Wanted to check the drivers to verify the codes to see what was actually in the cab (CTS btw). But anyways when I pulled out the driver I was amazed of how nice the inside of the cab was. Well insulated in the back, it is very well designed.

But my question is, why build a cab? Buying all the materials wont come cheap and it will take quite a bit of work to get it done. So if you are trying to save money buy building a cab, I think you would be wasting your time. The only reason to do it if you wanted something one of kind and to have the satisfaction that you were the one to build it.

15. okabass

okabass

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland,Lahti
    HI
    Yes. That's why I made my SVT rig. Plus the Ampegs are quite expensive here i Finland. And nowadays they're not made in Linden or St. Louis anymore
    http://www.okabass.suntuubi.com/?cat=1

16. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    I have made my own cabinets before and I am just looking to start a small business.

I actually do save money by building my own, I have wholesale accounts at the places I buy speakers from so I end up saving a lot of money.

Not if you include my time I put into it, but it's just something I think is fun so I don't include that.

I'll post pics of the next few cabs I make so you guys can see I'm not just some idiot throwing some plywood together and stuffing whatever cheap speakers in it that I can find and just hoping it will sound good.

17. Rick Auricchio

By using eight 32-ohm drivers, you can get 16 or 8 ohms from the cabinet.

By using eight 8-ohm drivers, you can get 16 or 4 ohms.

Other than that, I don't know why they'd choose the values.

18. No.

No way to get 8 ohms out of 8 32 ohm drivers.

The practical choices in both cases are 4 or 16.

19. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    They more likely put 1 speaker in a few different size boxes and picked the best sounding one and multiplied by 8. There wasn't much science to it then. Cost was also a huge factor. Ever wonder why the SVT cab is 48" tall and a sheet of plywood is 48" wide?

To a more musical, subjective point, there are a lot of things that sound good that maybe shouldn't sound as good as they do on paper. Also I would say that most people make their judgements as to what sounds good standing pretty close to their rig where things like dispersion and comb filtering are less apparent. Get 30 - 40ft. away from the band, walk left to right in the room and the differences become more obvious. Also consider that the taller the cab is, the closer it is to your ears, the shorter it is, the closer it is to your knees. Ears are for listening, knees make your legs bend and help you walk or lift that cabinet up on the stage. :D

20. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    So the wiring harness could be all parallel.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021