1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pirastro Pizzicato

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by dblbss, Feb 29, 2008.

1. dblbss

dblbss

Sep 20, 2007
    Canada
    Just wondering if anyone has tried Pirasto's Pizzicato strings and how they sound. They seem pretty pricey.

2. neal davis

neal davis

Dec 29, 2006
    toronto canada
    they are nice but I had some come unwrapped pretty easy, easier than olivs which says alot. nice but weren't that reliable when I had them, maybe they have improved, I also had the metal wrapped ones not the nylon like the old golden spirals

3. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    I used them a while back. They had a nice, dark growl to them (very growly, but in a gut strings way). If they didn't cost my rent I'd probably use them again on my Kay.

4. 61pollmann

61pollmann

Apr 30, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Are any dealers still carrying the Pizzicatos? I heard that many dealers gave up on them.

5. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    I use the nylon-wrapped G and D. They're great--like Golden Spirals, and there are no unwrapping issues as there are with the metal-wound ones.

I think Upton has them. I got mine directly from Pirastro; they're very helpful if you're having trouble locating strings.

6. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I love the darn things! I've put away all but one of my Gamuts and I currently have Pizzicatos for my E, A and D (all silver wound) and Gamut plain gut G. The only problem I've ever had in the past with Pizzicatos was with an A string breaking (and this happened twice) I've never had any come unwound. For me, they have a true gut sound and feel, as opposed to Anima and Garbo, and they are brighter and livelier than Eudoxa or Olive, their wrap is a little less flatwound, but not roundwound either. Unlike a traditional roundwound E&A/plain D&G set, they produce well-defined notes throughout the whole range and I can use them for everything from jazz to bluegrass. However, they are poor as an arco string, and I imagine that they could be a little too "jazzy" for hardcore bluegrassers or slappers.

I know that Quinn Violins isn't currently carrying them, but several other retailers have them. They are expensive! Southwest Strings had them on clearance and I bought a bunch of them recently. I hope that Pirastro keeps making them and manages to improve the quality control issues.

BTW, for those of you who've had problems with the silver-wound Pizzicatos, which strings came unwound or separated and where on the string?

7. Monki

Monki

Aug 3, 2007
    Sweden
    Just curious..how poor as an arco string? About as Anima/Garbos? better worse? Asking because I might be able to get a set quite cheap... might be a dealer sell-out..

8. Bobby King

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN

You can bow on them, about like Anima. They have a bowed gut kind of sound, but maybe a little more "hollow" with the bow. OK for practice or a little jazz-solo stuff. Definitely not for orchestral work.

If you can get a set at a good price, I'd give them a try. I really like these strings. I now also have the nylon-wrapped G with my set. They've been on for a few months now and I haven't had any problems with windings, etc.

9. wendell

wendell

Jun 6, 2007
    Cleveland
    Can anyone compare the sound of the metal-wrapped vs. the nylon wrapped Pizzicato strings?

10. Bobby King

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Only the G and D are available in the nylon wrapped. Those are a lot like Golden Spirals, that is -- much like a plain gut string except a little brighter, and the nylon adds a little tension and protects them from moisture, etc. The metal wrap is going to give you more sustain and brightness. The Pizzicato metal-wrapped G can get a little of the "mwah" sound going and you may or may not want that. I'm using the nylon G because I like the guttier sound on the G. I use the metal D for two reasons -- I like that the pitch stays clear and not too thuddy as you go up the neck, and also the Pizzicato nylon-wrapped D is very thick in diameter and may require some bridge slot widening/lowering.

11. Monki

Monki

Aug 3, 2007
    Sweden
    That low price was a typo on the dealers webpage..darn! :meh:

Anyway, any thoughts on how that plastic version G behave under the bow? Want something in the place of a obligato G - too thin-sounding for my taste. Or an Olive G maybe? Or getting a set of Animas.. Almost wish I was broke..no money no problems...

12. Bobby King

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    The Olive G is great, thicker diamater, thicker tone and great for arco.

13. Monki

Monki

Aug 3, 2007
    Sweden
    Yeah, the Oliv G is tempting..only thing I'm worrying is about it breaking...

14. Bobby King

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I've had Olives last a long time with no problems. Try to avoid taking it off and back on a whole lot and keep the bridge and nut slots lubricated with graphite.

15. Bobby King

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I now have the silver wound G on my bass as well so it's a full set of silver wound Pizzicatos. Previously I had a plain gut G and then the Pizzicato nylon wound G. Amplified, there was a noticable difference in tone with those, generally more boomy, and the silver wound is working better. It still sounds plenty "gutty" too. I continue to really like these strings! I haven't had any problems with them this time around either.

16. Monki

Monki

Aug 3, 2007
    Sweden
    OK, not the subject of the thread, but I did get the Oliv G. Love it. Careful instalation and I see no reason to remove it ever (;)), so I hope it will last..