PJ bass yes or no?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kitkit, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Kitkit

Kitkit

Jun 13, 2021
    I am considering buying a washburn t14 PJ bass. Anyone have any advice on Pj bases .

2. if you want a P bass sound with some J scoop and bite then go for it. not sure what advice you are looking for.

3. Kitkit

Kitkit

Jun 13, 2021
    Thanks just seeing if anyone has a review of the washburn T14 , good buy or bad buy. Nit playing that long myself. So all info is welcomed.

Thanks for your reply

4. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    yes

Bass4Brkfast likes this.
  5. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    The PJ can be a great versatile instrument. Id probably pass on Washburn .
    Not sure what your budget is but Yamaha and Ibanez make good PJ basses at every price level.

The Fender Duff Mc Kagan & Boxer basses as well as the Elite Precision are nice.

Spectors are nice too!!

The best PJ basses I like are the Yamaha BB3000, BB2000, Sadowsky Verdine White , and Musicman Caprice .

stingray69, pcake, droo46 and 11 others like this.
  6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i can't help with specific info/opinions re: that particular washburn instrument, but: PJ axes are versatile...and fun! good choice! :thumbsup:

7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    What color?

8. PJ is sweet versatile pickup layout. I'd say go for it.

Basically, you have 3 different kinds of sound.

1. P-pickup alone: classic P-bass tone.

2. Both pickups at full: modern mid-scooped tone, great for rock/metal and slap.

3. J-pickup alone: burpy Jaco bridge tone. Not very usable in band context (IMO) but can work in solo setting (especially when using harmonics).

Bonus: instead of "both pickups at full" it's worth trying nearby options:
    - P-pickup at 100%, J-pickup at 80-90%
    - P-pickup at 80-90%, J-pickup at 100%.

Those options reduce the mid-scoop while maintaining overall tone and shifting the character towards one of the pickups.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    6 of my basses are PJ's, if not always in Fender form, though most are.

Chad Michael, Zoffy, VitoMB and 6 others like this.
  10. Kitkit

Kitkit

Jun 13, 2021
    Getting it very cheap €80 and it's in great condition so don't think I can go to far wrong. Small budget so limited on choice.

11. Kitkit

Kitkit

Jun 13, 2021
    Why would that matter ?

butterfingers1 likes this.
  12. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    PJ basses have a distinct sound. They aren't "the best of both worlds" between a P and a J. They are their own thing.

If you solo the P pickup on a PJ, you get a P bass. As long as the P pickup is placed where it would be on a regular P. There's an academic [only] debate around here as to whether the presence of the J pickup prevents the P from sounding totally purely like a P bass. Possibly the magnetic interference of the J pickup is an issue with the vibration of the strings. Possibly the complexity of the wiring is an issue. Possibly the brain of the player is.

The answer is unknowable, but the data presents strongly to the conclusion that only expensive audio measurement instruments or Talkbass P bass snobs could tell the difference.

With both pickups wide open, PJs have a cool "ping" in the high end of the tone that I can't hear in any other pickup configuration.

They became popular in the 80s when bass players began adding J routs to their P basses to tighten up the low end a little. In my opinion, that happened around the time Yamaha was coming on heavy with the BB series, and I hear hear the BB PJ tone as the quintessential PJ tone. My opinion only.

13. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    Spector would be the only PJ bass that would really interest me. However, I did play a Yamaha PJ today (not for the first time either) that never ceases to impress. This comes from a guy who would much prefer a MM/P over a PJ.

I hope you find one you like. I am a bassist who does not seem to quite understand the appeal.

lowdownthump and Kitkit like this.
  14. I like them. Some people don’t. You might.

15. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    They rock 20210510_160053.jpg 20210527_174011.jpg

It's a P bass. They rock. Difference is, you can scoop the mids at will by diming the bridge single. Like a jazz bass.

16. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    This is either a very cerebral response or being funny. If cerebral, I could see this as hinting that a PJ is always a good choice, so only the color is worth debating. If being funny, well it's still funny.

Immigrant, TonyP-, J_Bass and 3 others like this.
  17. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    I'm OK with them.

20210331_112911.jpg

18. LP Freak

LP Freak

Jun 13, 2021
    Chicago
    Love my Fender

Kitkit likes this.
  19. David76112

David76112

Feb 19, 2012
    America
    How much does it weigh?

Rich67 likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021