Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing notes in parenthesis?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Trist6075, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Trist6075

Trist6075 Guest

Mar 6, 2001
    Can someone please explain to me how to play a bass line with certain notes in parenthesis ( ). I think I remember hearing something like they aren't actually played but then why are they even there? Here's an example maybe someone could tell me how you would play this line. First I'll give the timing then ill give u the string and the note in fret #. In 4/4 goes: 8th note, 8th note rest, then the last three notes are 8th notes. Ok then the actual notes are: Astring-7, rest, Astring-7, Estring-(7), Astring-7, Estring-(7), Astring-7, Astring-7. So I don't get how you would play this bass line and inteperete the two notes on the E string that are in parenthesis. Could someone please explain this to me or just give me their own example. Thanks a lot you guys rock!

Tristan

2. I ran into a parenthesis note a few days ago. It means that the note is optionally played or only played certain times. For example, maybe this note is only played the first time, and every following time you repeat and run into that same note, you don't play it.

So: unless there are instructions as to when the note should be played (usually below/above the note), it's an optional note, to be played at the player's discretion.

3. I'd say it's probably a grace note.

4. The way I learnt it was that, especially with recorded songs that are transcribed, the player doesn't always play the same thing. The first time, for example, he'll hit an open E. However, he eventually replays this section and hits an E one octave up instead. The parenthesis says that at some point during the song, he plays it that way and you can listen to the song or something to see when he does.

5. Brat

Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    If you can, try and listin to the recording of the song live and CD version and see if anyting is added in.

6. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

a grace note is a tiny little note right before the real note, it has no value in time. a note in "( )" is optional an theres usualy another note chorded with it which isnt optional.

7. Note the "usually another note chorded with it". There are places where it could be just a single note in parenthesis.

8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

so if there isnt a note chorded with it, then you just play(not play) the equivalent rest.

9. Sometimes a note is in parentesis because the arranger/composer doesnt know iff the note is in range of the instrument. For instance I played a piece called Samba del Gringo and it had a low D (3rd fret b string) written in parenthesis with the note and octave above written. Its basically play it if you can.