Please help, is this Trace any good???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vinpaul, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
  2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I've never heard of Trace Elliot putting out a bad product, so I don't see why this one would be bad either. Go for it!
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That looks like a pretty solid rig. I like the GP12 SMX preamp, and it allows you to blend the tube and solid state preamp stages, which is cool. I haven't played that particular SS amp, but I've read good things about them (I really love their tube amps, personally).

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    The SMX preamp is my favorite of the Trace line. Tons of features.

The RA300 poweramp is also a brute that will give you traditional Trace type wattage. Trust me, it is good stuff.
  5. Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    thanks, youseem to really like your trace gear by the sound of it. I havent had the chance to play any, except for one of my mate's amps thats one of their lower range products which I wasnt verty impressed with (all solid state, which isnt necssarily bad, but in this case it really didnt do it for me) but Im definetely keeping an open mind. How could u describe the tone for me if you could? thanks a lot
  6. I know stuff is expensive in Oz, but that seems a bit pricey. Still, would be an awesome rig!
  7. Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    Mate, let me tell you thats not expensive by our standards, which doenst say much. 1700 aussie dollars for the pre, power amp and quad is good value, especially it this rig is good sounding. To give you an idea a svt 3 pro head retails at 2600 (you could buy it for few hundred less of course)

I read somewhere else that you have to do a lot of tweaking and eq adjustments before you can get a good sound out of a trace, any thoughts?
  8. thats a dirty lie right there ;)

Of course, if you like the 'Trace' sound then there are no problems, but the graphic EQ is pretty flexible, and the preshape give a nice thuddy mid boost.

i personally love the compression on the SMX pres, very crisp and clear and enhances the attack notes have. if that price is good (id maybe wait till some of the other Oz Tracers chime in) i'd go for it - and if you don't like it, then it shouldn't be too hard to pass along.

No experience with the poweramp, but I have heard good things about the Trace amps. I'd imagine you'd have plenty of headroom as well.

Gluck with your descision, but you *know* you can't resist. :)
  9. Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    haha, yeah mate this rig has grabbed my fancy a bit I must confess. The amp I was gonna buy was most likely gonna be genz benz 600 or maybe gk 1001rbII with a mxr 80, but yeah this one seems cool, decisions, decisions. 2 bad I cant try this out. Any chance of getting some more sound descriptions, or comparisons to other brands/models I would have played? thanks
  10. Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    Anyone else have any comments on this rig? The auction closes in a day and bit, still quite undecided. Went to the city and played a couple of amps today. A GK 1001rbII, liked it, great punch. An eden wt 400, was cool, lots of adjustments that can be made with the semi parimedics, didnt have enough time to scope it out. Also a lab systems VP 600, liked it butsounded not quite right, again didnt have enough time to tweak it a bit. I play pretty aggressive fingerstyle, the heads seemed not to like that all that much (used a euro spector). Anyway any more comments on the trace most welcome, I know its not the common thing these days
  11. Trace 4X10 cabs are heavy b'stards (about 35-40kgs if I remember correctly) but, they sound great....I switched to ashdown Mini cabs due to laziness, but, I still have my Trace amps, (300W GP12SMX & 600W V-TYPE) tons of power, with the trademark Trace sound, which I happen to like, but, many don't, so try a Trace before you buy, if you haven't already.... and if you haven't.......WHY NOT?. :D
  12. ohiobob227

Aug 18, 2001
    Cloverdale, CA
    Only part of the rig I can really comment on is the preamp, as it's the same as the preamp in my AH250SMX head. I love mine. Matches quite well with my G&L basses, I run the EQ and the preshapes turned off, the input about halyway between solid state and valve (slanted a bit towards valve), low compression off and high compression between the third and fourth dots, and then just adjust the balance to taste. Gives me a nice beefy, warm tone with plenty of grind when I dig in.