Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please help me picking a 5-string bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SteelBoy19, May 18, 2004.

1. SteelBoy19

SteelBoy19

May 18, 2004
    Portugal
    Hello, friends! I play in a band, but our bass player has an old 5-string Aria Pro II bass that never stays in tune, as you can imagine it's very anoying in a live performance...

So we're considering getting a new 5-string bass. I don't know nothing about basses, I'm a keyboard player, so I need a little help. We're limited to some brands (Warwick, Fender, Ibanez, PRS, Jackson, Yamaha).

So, between 500-1000 euros/dollars, wich 5-string bass would you pick? It's important a good sound, and specially that it stays tuned for a long time. Please name one so I can read something about it and decide.

Thank you very much! [[]]

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Fender Zone Deluxe V
    Fender Roscoe Beck
    Yamaha RBX775
    Yamaha BB2005
    Yamaha BB605
    Ibanez SRX705
    Ibanez SRX505

I am not familiar enough with the other brands to make a comment. I would also suggest a Peavey Fury V or Godin Freeway 5 or Godin BG5 as well.

Dan

3. I'm guessing that you live in Europe? Well for that matter I would suggest a Warwick. They stay in tune, have great sound and all in all a pro quality bass. Selection would be good and any repair/set up work would be cheap.

Hope that helps. Good Luck

4. SteelBoy19

SteelBoy19

May 18, 2004
    Portugal
    Yes, I live in Europe, in that tiny country by the sea named Portugal, which is seen by many as a region of Spain, lol... Warwick are a bit expensive here, i still haven't found one below 1000 euros, but that Yamaha RBX775 captured my attention, it's way much more cheap that the other ones...

Considering that it's almost three times cheaper than some also listed, would it be three times worst, in a manner of speaking? Sorry about any mistake in my English, I speak a very strange language... :D

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    You need a Lakland Skyline...

6. SteelBoy19

SteelBoy19

May 18, 2004
    Portugal
    McHack, there's no shop here that sells that brand... :(

Most suitable candidates till now are Yamaha RBX775 and Ibanez SRX705, good general opinion and good price, i'm still searching for an affordable Warwick.

7. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Yes - get a Lakland Skyline or a Stingray 5 - both are awesome five stringers - with really tight B strings - I own each of these and there worth every penny.

You could probably even pick up a decent one used somewhere....

8. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    I recently played a Yamaha bass and it was terrible. I'm not sure why because Yamaha made decent instruments in the past - but this one was crap. You'd think for $1300 it would be worth our while!!!!

get a Lakland 55-02 or a Music Man Stingray 5 - you won't regret it.
    :bassist:

9. SteelBoy19

SteelBoy19

May 18, 2004
    Portugal
    Wow! I believe in you guys, but as I said before, I can't find Lakland here in Portugal. And no way we can afford a Music Man Stingray 5, here it costs about 2500 euros! eeeeek! :bawl: I wish...

still

Yamaha RBX775 (with one negative opinion for Yamaha)
    Ibanez SRX705
    affordable-warwick, where are you???... :D

10. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    I understand - the Yamaha i played was the BB2005 - it retails new for $1300 - it played and had the quality of a $300 bass. If I'd paid $300 I wouldn't have complained. But maybe it's just that model - I've always been pleased with Yamaha's basses in the past - plus a lot of professional players play Yamahas.

Let him try one out - it may be what you guys want!
    :D Good luck

11. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    ok... Get a New Bridge, and New Tuners for the old Aria pro II and the Problem should be solved... I cant specify brands... but im shure someone else will chime in. New Pickups would also make it sound Much better, and a New Pre-amp.

Just my $0.02

Good Times

-Tim

12. SteelBoy19

SteelBoy19

May 18, 2004
    Portugal
    No, no way. Even I, a keyboard player, hate that bass... I also play guitar, I have an Aria Pro II electric 6-string guitar which strangely stays in tune very well, but has a crap sound, and that bass has both crap sound and crap tune, I played another Aria Pro II bass a few years ago and also sound crappy and detuned very quickly... I've played other basses, Ibanez, musicman, warwick, and they all sound better the those Aria ones. I will never buy another Aria guitar in my life or waste my time with one... yuck...

so far:

Yamaha RBX775 (at least I like the synths they make :D )
    Ibanez SRX705
    still looking for a warwick option...

13. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    ok, but that would be the cheaper route.

Um, I really like the Ibanez BTB Series, I think for the price they are GREAT. Peavey Cirrus 5 string would also be a good choice (if you could get one) you could also get a Crappy Mim Fender Jazz, and put in good tuners, Good pickups, and a badass II bridge.

EDIT: I should have Specified that the Peavey Cirrus would be the VERY best choice of all of them so far, It is GREAT for tapping, and two-hand tapping, great slap tone, Perfect sound. It is one of the top 10 basses on my list of "Any bass I would ever want" list (Money is not an option on that list, above it is a $4.5k bass!!!) If you can find one through classifieds or something, that is the BEST way to go.

14. SteelBoy19

SteelBoy19

May 18, 2004
    Portugal
    Cool! One more option:

(Note: I know almost nothing about guitars, but I'm not very keen on Fender, I have the ideia that you're paying mostly the brand, if you see what I mean... I don't think they sound so great for the price they have, at least the cheaper ones. Of course I would love to have a top-price Fender or Gibson guitar, but nevermind that...)

Ibanez BTB405QM - good price range/good reviews
    Yamaha RBX775 (at least I like the synths they make )
    Ibanez SRX705
    Peavey is hard to find here... and expensive...

:cool:

15. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Whoa there boy...

I HATE FENDER, THEY SUCK!!!!!!!!!

but most people disagree with that opinion, I have the same thoughts as you do, they are HOrrible basses, and should all be discontinued... Now I feel better! :D Here you can find Peavey Cirrus Used for $750 to $1100 and thats $626 to $920 Euro for you. They WILL outpreform ANY bass already Listed, They are INCREADIBLE for the price.

Go here>>>>>http://www.peavey.com/products/shop...tion/final/wc/1A1A212/fam/1A31/c/2/cirrus.cfm

16. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Peavey are hard to find there? Really? That sucks, Peavey is known (By bassists) for having Two good basses, The Cirrus is one of them (There "Finest" bass)

Make shure to look through the Classified Section, dont JUST go to stores.

17. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I have an Ibanez SRX505 and have played a couple SRX705s, and really like them. I played a BTB406QM once, and it sounded great, so I can only imagine the 405QMs are just as nice.

I like them much more than the other options that have been given.

18. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Yeah, if you cant find/afford a Cirrus, Get a Ibanez BTB 405, That should do it Nicely.

Important to buy used though, You will save a TON of money by buying used. And buy used from classified ads, dont buy used at a Store...

19. SteelBoy19

SteelBoy19

May 18, 2004
    Portugal
    eyescream does yout Ibanez detune easily or not? Can it stand a 3 hour gig without tuning?

I don't know how it is for guitars, but for synths: just because one model of a brand is good doesn't mean that all the others are... isn't the sames way in guitars?

I'm tempted for Ibanez...

Yamaha RBX775
    Ibanez BTB405QM
    Ibanez SRX705
    Peavey is expensive...

I'll be back later, thanks for all your answers! ;)

20. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Yes like I said "Peavey Has two good basses, the Cirrus is one of them" they have a Bunch of Basses, Guitars, Amps, Heads, all the gear you could think of, and it all sucks, except for the Cirrus.