Please help with my setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kingbrutis, Nov 19, 2003.

1. kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    Hi, I have been playing thru a GK Backline 115 for pratice. I just joined a band and my guitarist setup is like this. 8 '10s run with 2-200 watts@4ohms. It is loud!! He doesnt use all of that power but I was thinking a 4- 10 Avatar cab with a peavy 700 watt amp. Is that ok? Can that setup handle a low B from my 5 string? I am on a tight budget and will be playing small venues. Oh yea, we play hardcore/metal. Thanks Joe
  2. The 4x10 might crap out on you if you're riding the B, but the Avatar cabs might handle it. Wait for an Avatar user to chime in. If you want the lows, you might opt for a 2x12 or a 2x10 and 1x15 combination of cabs. Also, Peavey makes/used to make a 2x10/1x18 cabinet. That head should work okay, but with that guitar rig you might consider a separate pre/power amp setup for more headroom. Get a used Peavey Max pre and a 1200+ watt power amp. What's your budget?
  3. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    OMG "my guitarist setup is like this. 8 '10s run with 2-200 watts@4ohms. It is loud!!"

My first purchase would be a set of custom fit earplugs.

Regarding your amp, the consensus is 3Xs to 10Xs the power your guitarist is running. That translates to 1200 to 4000 watts. :eek:
  4. kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    And I would would like to agree with and expand upon the comments of our colleague Rumblethump . . .

Your guitarist has got to be causing a bit more trouble with that monster rig than outbalancing the bass sound. Unless you normally play in REALLY large venues and have a most impressive PA, he is probably making it impossible for the band's overall sound to be corrected.

Although a bigger amp for you is probably a good idea, it is more important for the guitarist to learn moderation rather than engaging in a volume war which no one can win.

Good luck.
  5. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Id say that the best option for you is either a 4x10 on top of a 1x15, or if your on a budget, try the 2x10 on the 1x15. The peavey 'firebeass' head that your talking about is a nice head. it says it is 700 watts but it will put out way more.

as for the brand of the cabs, im not too sure with that ;)
  6. kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    Thanks for the input. It is hard to find a fair deal around here. The pawn shops want WAY more than what they are worth. The local shops are better, but I have been trying to find a decent used setup. If anyone knows a a good used setup in the Phoenix area, help. Has anyone used a Carvin setup? They look great. Thanks Joe