1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please Tell Me This Is a Joke....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PortlandBass77, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. No

67 vote(s)
    72.0%
  3. I found a new definition for "Carrots"

13 vote(s)
    14.0%
  4. Things I don't understand scare me

5 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. So recently I stumbled upon this band that literally stole the name and logo of the amp brand Sunn for use by the band. Not only this but I listened to 3 of there songs from different albums and ALL of them are just a 5 or so second track looped for 7 - 12 minutes, with NO drums, NO vocals, and just some random effects every once in a while. On top of that they are toned so low and boost the bass so much I can't even tell if they have a bass. It could just be a couple of guitars (or basses I guess) and a synth. Please tell me this is some sort of joke and not a serious band. Or at least are they parodizing the degree of ridiculousness that is modern metal? Here is one of their "songs" if you have 7 + minutes of your life to waste:

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

You are missing the whole point of drone doom it seems. Sunn O))) is awesome.
    Ambient drone music isn't supposed to please everyone. If you don't dig just move on.

panamonte, LowF, hover and 12 others like this.
  3. Could you explain it then?

4. There seems to be a lot here you don't like. Why would you want it explained? Not my cup of tea either, BTW. Guess if it needs explaining it's not for us. Don't know if I'd call it a joke or modern metal "ridiculous".

Sartori likes this.
  5. Jazz Ad

Perhaps. Do you enjoy ambient music at all ? As in, music meant to generate core feelings rather than convey a story or make you dance ?
    In these musics, tone and atmosphere count more than structure and rhythm.
    In extreme ambient music, the shape and structure are completely erased. It's the musical equivalent of Pollock's late paintings.
    Drone Doom is the metal variety of such music but you can find it in a lot of other genres.

Sartori and Hertz like this.
  6. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Sunn O))) has been around for a long time.
    I am not a fan but I have heard them, and I'm old..

They are much better than Bieber

LowF, hover, /\/\3phist0 and 8 others like this.
  7. Jazz Ad

Depressive Black Metal bands, such as Life is Pain could be considered one step closer to mainstream music. If you can get them eventually you may understand where Sunn O))) stands.

Once again, it is perfectly ok not to dig a style of music.

Sartori likes this.
  8. This is like 100x better than sunn. But still this seems like the whole song is an intro that has been extended for too long.

9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I love Sunn O)))

They did a record with Boris which kicks ass.

Boris also kicks ass if you are not familiar with them.

10. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    Remember folks, OP is the guy who said that Judas Priest aren't metal. I'll leave you to make your own opinions.

11. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    there's all kinds of stuff going on

Sartori likes this.
  12. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    2k W of the Duwamsh
    I voted "no," and I don't care for doomdronestonermetalwhatever at all. But it's a big ol' world and others are welcome to. Hanging out here has helped me realize that people who don't share my taste in music can actually be OK.

Joedog, Thombas, BboogieXVII and 3 others like this.
  13. theretheyare

theretheyare Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing: Arkham Vacuum Tube Amplification
    You make it sound like that's a bad thing.

Sartori, bassboysam and bswag like this.
  14. Tempest, meet Teapot.

Sartori and bswag like this.
  15. It is a bad thing..... there is zero depth to the music.....

16. Talk about zero depth. We get it. You don't like it.

McFarlin, spanndrew, xoloder and 7 others like this.
  17. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

Wow, that's like the soundtrack of the apocalypse or something.

Sartori likes this.
  18. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce Already tired tomorrow

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    Welcome to Oregon! Tolerant Oregon. -Jello Biafra

19. LOL!

What kills me is that he has a Rush avatar. I love Rush, but I'll be the first to admit that a lot of people just don't "get" Rush.

Just like he doesn't "get" Sunn. (Or, apparently, Judas Priest for that matter)

xoloder and Sartori like this.
  20. Bassgeer

Bassgeer Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Canada
    LOL, first there are actually vocals if you listen to more than 5 seconds of the track.
    Second, "ridiculousness of modern metal", have you heard of Animals as Leaders? Seventh Wonder? TesseracT? Other than ridiculous talent I fail to see what is ridiculous. Other than this thread.