1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Plywood Recordings?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by SWBass, Jan 17, 2013.

1. SWBass

SWBass

Dec 7, 2012
    I just picked up a New Standard Plywood bass and I'm blown away by the big sound. I love this bass! I'm certainly adjusting to the gut strings that came with it. What a difference in technique, but such a cool, dark tone that they provide. In addition to Wilbur Ware and Sam Jones, do folks know of specific recordings where bass players used plywood? I'm just curious to hear this sound more and more outside of real old recordings, ie Slam Stewart etc. Not that there's anything wrong with Slam of course!

2. Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Oct 10, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    It seems that Israel Crosby used a kay bass in the classic Ahmad Jamal trio recordings.

SteSte likes this.
  3. mdcbass

mdcbass Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Seacoast of NH
    Here's some links relating to the gut thing.

One with Dennis Iwin's American Standard - the Daddy of the the New Standard.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021