1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Poll: Standard 'P' or Reverse 'P' ?????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by By-Tor1000RR, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Standard 'P' (E and A coils coils closer to neck)

56 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. Reverse 'P' (E and A string coils closer to bridge)

63 vote(s)
    52.9%
  1. By-Tor1000RR

By-Tor1000RR

Jul 17, 2008
    Stamford, CT
    I'm getting ready to add a 'P' pickup between the jazz pickups on my SX / VM Jaguar Mutant. I can't decide if I want to go standard or reverse with the 'P' pickup. What do the Talkbass masses think?

I like my basses to sound pretty bright and punchy so I was thinking that the reverse 'P' would be great for that, but the 'P' pickup will already be a fair bit closer to the bridge to begin with. It will be closer to the Music Man position and I've heard recordings of 'P' pickups in the MM position and they sound killer!

I'll be wiring this up v/v/v and straight out to the jack. I keep my tone wide open on all my basses so I figured I would just do without on this one.

Here is the victim..........

ry%3D400.jpg

2. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
  3. reversed coil is better for PJs

4. By-Tor1000RR

By-Tor1000RR

Jul 17, 2008
    Stamford, CT
    I've read that thread before. I'm asking because the P pickup won't be in the traditional location. I've owned reverse and standard P basses and even a Peavey t20 that I modded with a J pickup at the bridge, reverse P in the standard location and a P pickup in traditional orientation but closer to the neck.

I am also a reverse P fan;)

ry%3D400.jpg

5. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    I have both and the reverse is noticably tighter on the B and e strings.

6. By-Tor1000RR

By-Tor1000RR

Jul 17, 2008
    Stamford, CT
    Keep it comin' guys. I'm diggin the feedback!

7. By-Tor1000RR

By-Tor1000RR

Jul 17, 2008
    Stamford, CT
    Bear in mind that I'll be keeping both Jazz pickups in their current locations. The 'P' pickup will find a home evenly spaced between them. The centerline of the split coils will be dead center of the open space.

8. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    v/v/v will bring you some interesting tones rev-p or not with a 3 pickup config.

9. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    what difference does it do to the sound?

10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing

More bite on the low strings and more bass for the D + G.

Better setup IMO.

11. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Not sure how much difference you'll see on a 4 string, but it was very noticable on my 5 string. It really improved the clarity and punch on the E and B strings.

12. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    i rearranged the coils and wired up the nordstrand MM4.4 in my jazzmaster bass to enable having both a split p and a reverse p setting, and i can hear a big difference between the two. i personally prefer the standard p mode most of the time, but the reverse p mode is an awesome sound too, especially for songs that you want a fatter sound on the D & G strings.

here's a pic of the controls:

jazzmaster-controls-02.jpg

Peter Weil likes this.
  13. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    For neck postion I prefer the E&A side closer to the neck. For bridge position I prefer the reverse. For mid position it depends on the body wood used. For darker toned like mahogany and throaty midrange like basswood I'd go with same as neck position. For woods like alder, ash, & maple Id more go for the E&A side closer to the bridge with D&G side closer to neck.

Peter Weil likes this.
  14. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    I'm happy with my P bass tone but the reverse P makes more sense.

15. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    just gotta say...sweet bass dude!

16. i like the reverse P the way lee put it... you leave the coil of E and A string but move the D and G coil up the neck... now that's a bass sound!!!

17. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Totally agree.

The problem with my first bass was that there was too much low on the E and A strings, and the D and G, while otherwise sounding fine, sounded twangy when jumping to them from the low strings.

This was the main reason I modded it.

18. By-Tor1000RR

By-Tor1000RR

Jul 17, 2008
    Stamford, CT
    I made some paper doll pickups last night..........

Reverse 'P'. The D-G coil is in the exact location it would be on a standard P bass. I measured against my P bass. Really starting to lean towards this one.

ry%3D400.jpg

Standard 'P'. Had to kind of find a happy place for it where it wouldn't get in the way of the control plate.

ry%3D400.jpg

Is there such a thing as too much!!!!!!!!!!???????? Boom Stick mod!!!! :bassist: Imagine it wired single volume for the jazz pickups with a 3-way switch for neck/both/bridge, and separate volumes for the 'P' pickups...... No tone control. Hmmmmmm......

ry%3D400.jpg

19. Do this one! That would be so over the top awesome!

20. By-Tor1000RR

By-Tor1000RR

Jul 17, 2008
    Stamford, CT
    Its pretty tempting. The bass would be Swiss Army knife of tone. hahahaha!

Just waiting on the 'P' pickup that I got from a fellow TB'r to show up and then the chips will start to fly.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021