1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

POLL- The perfect stringset for a p bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RumbleMan3, Mar 25, 2020.

1. GHS pressurewounds

20.2%
  2. GHS balanced nickels

13.8%
  3. GHS precision flats

22.9%
  4. FENDER 9050

19.3%
  5. D’ADDARIO chromes

31.2%
  6. ERNIE BALL slinky cobalt flats

12.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    No doubt this thread is gonna get a little controversial... so many good options here, it’s pretty hard to go wrong with any of them.

I’ve heard many people SWEAR BY these strings on their p basses! Surely they can’t all be the best...

can they?

You decide!

(I’ve allowed maximum 2 votes per person for the poll, for those who can’t decide)

2. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    Bump :)

3. BBQV

BBQV

Feb 13, 2010
    Uppsala, Sweden
    I use GHS Precision flats on one of my P-basses, my favorite flat wound string.
    Otherwise DR LoRiders are my choice of strings, but they were not an option...

sikamikanico and Jim Carr like this.
  4. No such thing as "perfect string" or even "best string"; just different tools for different jobs. I've tried all but the EB Cobalt on my P and they all have their places in one's tool box.

I do have one more set to try out on my P - GHS Brite Flats (Alloy 52 half-rounds) - to see how they compare with the rest of the lineup.

RumbleMan3 and red_rhino like this.
  5. wow no la bella on that poll...

6. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Washington State
    Of those options provided, I chose P Flats & Balanced Nickels - one for traditional thump, one for vintage-voiced versatility.

RumbleMan3 and trothwell like this.
  7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

we can only hope. :laugh:

8. makaspar

makaspar Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Austin, TX
    No LaBella, no TI?

9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I've done flats from Fender, Ernie Ball (slinky?), Markley blue steels, LaBella, D'addario Chromes, TI, Pyramid, and even Sadowsky. I liked them all in varying degrees, but DR Lo-riders are my favorites. What?

Yes, that's right, I no longer use flats on my 1955 P-bass or my '62 AVRI P-bass!
    Ooooh! the HUMANITY. LOL.

Seriously, any strings you like will work. IMHO, there is no perfect string for any given instrument. There is only good for you and your bass for now.

Things change. Always.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  10. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    If I had only one bass (and, for the sake of discussion here, let's say it was a Precision bass), I would almost certainly use GHS Balanced Nickels.

And in fact I do have Balanced Nickels on my Precision bass right now. Sounds great.

However, I have recently been using Round Core Bass Boomers on my Jazz bass. Uh-oh! The solo'd front pickup of the Jazz bass with these strings sounds pretty close to my Precision bass with the Balanced Nickels.

Of course, they both sound good, but I am thinking I may need to switch strings on one or the other, just so they don't overlap too much.

RumbleMan3 and e-flat like this.
  11. Juststanley

Juststanley Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Tejas
    Hmmm...which toilet paper to hoard ?

12. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    TI jazz flats

13. GrassBass

GrassBass

Sep 4, 2018
    Argentina
    Thomastik flatwounds, second place to Daddario Chromes.

TrevorOfDoom, ELG60 and SLO Surfer like this.
  14. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    There is no perfect string set for a P. And shouldn't the tread say something like "the perfect non round wound string set for a P Bass"?

LaBellas, TI Flats and Pyramids were excluded. Those are top contenders for flat wounds.

Cutter8, Rezdog, ELG60 and 5 others like this.
  15. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    +1 on La Bella flats.

16. Kenova

Kenova

May 5, 2010
    Zagreb (Croatia)

Here is my clip, Chromes FTW!

17. FishDub

FishDub Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    None of the above...TI jazz flats

18. Britbonic

Britbonic Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Not a PBass but I had a set of the GHS Balanced Nickels briefly on a SR5 and then for a long time on my Moollon J5. I really wanted to like them but they just didn't work well for either bass. They were a tad too slinky and a bit too warm for a round - maybe that's the point. Or maybe I should try them on one of my PBasses;)

trothwell likes this.
  19. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    You need nickel plated steel rounds as a choice - the most widely used flavor of strings are no doubt a popular choice.

20. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    Yes, I think "too warm" is a good description. I like them exactly because they nicely occupy the sonic space between flatwound and roundwound, I think better than groundwound or pressurewound, even though they are, in fact, roundwound. I found them a great replacement for (and, in most points, an improvement over) Labella quarter round strings.

e-flat likes this.