1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Polyphase or Enigma Q Balls

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Viscera_Eyes, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Viscera_Eyes

Viscera_Eyes

Oct 27, 2008
    I'm trying to decide between the two for Christmas, but I don't really have any sort of preference. I know it's very difficult to compare an envelope filter to a phaser; however, I would like to know your opinion on which pedal to get. Also, If you have had both pedals, which one did you enjoy more?

I play progressive/experimental rock (Tool, Radiohead, The Mars Volta, Led Zeppelin...), but also do a lot of improv and enjoy making bass parts using effects. I really don't need either pedal, but they both seem really cool.

Any feedback would be deliciously appreciated.

2. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet? Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Mt Vernon, NY
    Qballs is definately really cool. I haven't tried the Polyphase.

3. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    I would go with a phaser before a filter in your band situation. Seems like it would fit easier.

4. The Polyphase does envelope phasing as well as LFO phasing and also gives you expression pedal control over the sweep of the phase. It's pretty versatile!

I have an Enigma on the way but can't comment on it before playing one. I can say that I really liked the Polyphase and think it'd work for the styles of music you're into.

5. irvinz

irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    has too much gas
    +1 i think.

a lil bit more versatile and maybe more capable if your looking on the broader side of stuff. i dont use heaps of filters per se. neither do i use much phasers. go around and try some stuff. cause you might end up getting either or and hating both.

6. Viscera_Eyes

Viscera_Eyes

Oct 27, 2008
    Thanks guys, I think I probably will go with the phaser. In the long run it probably will be more helpful. However, are there any other really nice phasers around the $200 mark that are also worth trying?

7. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    As much as I love my Enigma, yeah, I'd say go with a phaser. Sounds like you'd get more use out of it considering what you're playing.

8. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Pigtronix EP-1

(polyphase is a great choice too)

9. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    As much as I love EHX's filters, that Polyphase is something else. Get that. And, while you're at it, get a 1975 Fender Starcaster guitar, because the two sound perfect together.

10. PolyPhase hands down!

Josh

11. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    both. you only live once and why go subtle... get both and damn the concenquences!

12. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    I really dig the way that the Bassballs makes my bass sit up straight in the mix when I need to get everybody to listen up...so I have to second the 'get both' - because the q-balls is pretty much a deluxe Bassballs.

I run a bassballs before my EP-1 and it's fantastic. Those subtle tweaks that make effects worth having for more than just a gimmick.

If you can find a used EP-1 with the marv mod, up/down switch, and an expression control of the blend (and resonance while you're at it) then I'd suggest you go for that. If you can find a stereo polyphase super cheap then I'd suggest you go for that.

While EHX makes some great gear, I'm incredibly impressed with the tone that my Pigtronix gear preserves, supports, and improves.

13. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    That is a GROSS generalization. Both the filter and distortion circuit are entirely different on the two and sound nothing alike.

14. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Gross large, not gross disgusting. Still sounds like multiple filters sweeping just out of phase. There's a very similar quality to the Bassballs but it works more like an Envelope Filter. It's tweakable and is 'more effect than tone' than the bassballs' 'more tone than effect'.

Aside from the vowellistic potential of the bassballs (which is very subtle) the only 'effect' that is in a bassballs is a distortion circuit, and to many that's a tone approach rather than a punctuating or supportive sound effect.

The Enigma can at the very least come close to quacking.

Hell...Get a Bassballs and a Polyphase, Viscera_Eyes...a nano one with the knob mods.

15. Wabbit_Swayer

Wabbit_Swayer

Sep 24, 2004
    Pullman, WA
    So, did you end up getting either pedal?

Ever since this thread and what I was personally looking for--I got both :D

16. Viscera_Eyes

Viscera_Eyes

Oct 27, 2008
    Yea, I went with the polyphase. Just thought it would fit my style better. Although, I think I will definitely check out the enigma sometime. However, now ehx came out with that Deluxe Memory Boy, which also looks really sweet....

17. billphreets

billphreets

Oct 1, 2009
    I run a bassballs before my EP-1 and it's fantastic. Those subtle tweaks that make effects worth having for more than just a gimmick.

i love my bassballs incidentally ; )

18. the qballs IS an envelope filter. main similarity to the bassballs is that both filters have switchable distortion. other than that, completely different filters

it says "qballs" and is also similar to the qtron, but i dont hear folks comparing it to that