Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pope given last rites

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SomecallmeTim, Mar 31, 2005.

1. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I'm not a christian, but my thoughts are with him. Pretty amazing guy.

Seriously, no theological/philosophical discussion welcome here.

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    We're nearing the end of an era, or maybe it's already ended.

3. This does not surprise me.

He's not doing well, that's for sure.

Mike

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    He looks like he is ready to die. Every time I see that guy on TV, I feel sorry for him.

-Mike

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    By all accounts (and im not an expert on this so stand to be corrected) the Pope is, for want of a better term, stubborn in that he refuses to "let go". He is very much determined to stay alive and keep being the Pope (ie fulfilling his duties), even at the risk of his own health. On that basis, I don't feel sorry for him because he is doing what he wants to do, its not like the Cardinals etc are forcing him to make public appearances etc.

6. Anybody here remember the last selection ritual? Or rather, the last 2 selection processes held so close together?

Talk about a world holding their breath...

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    That happened before I was born. John Paul II has been the only Pope I've known.

Considering the track record of the "bad Popes" of previous eras, John Paul II, known as "The People's Pope", is an inspiriation for Poles everywhere, (note: not a typo for Pope. The Pope is Polish), an amazingly intelligent human being who is fluent in several languages, and an all-around caring person. I hope that people can recognize that despite whatever religous hangups that might have.

8. +1

Well said.

9. It will be interesting to see what his legacy is, and how he is most remembered by the world. He has remained steadfast to the doctrines of his faith through an era of great change.

10. He's had a good run.

He's served longer than any other pope, IIRC.

Though I may be protestant, it's hard to not have respect for the guy. My prayers go to my catholic buddies and mr. pope.

But it's one thing to remember that last rites do not equal death. JFK had his last rites read to him several times during his life.

11. That's sad. :(

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Very true. According to the article linked in the first post, this is the Pope's second run with the last rites, the first given when he was shot in 1981. (Also before I was born!)

13. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I know he is very steadfast in his rite of suffering but I do hope he has a very peaceful end to a fruitful and productive life...

14. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Excuse my ignorance, but what are the Last Rites? I've never been a religious person, but I assume this is some sort of religious ceremony... could some please explain? Thanks.

Graeme

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ecumenical question: if it's last rites, why can it be performed more than once?

No, that's not some smart ass comment, I'm serious. If one is given last rites, why would it become nessicary to prepare them for death a second or third time? Wouldn't one set of last rights do? Or does the fact that the person lives on, and has more chances to sin/do good mean the original is outdated?

How does that work?

16. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    EDIT: Forgot to mention that the quotes below come from the Catholic Cathecism.

"The Church believes and confesses that among the seven sacraments there is one especially intended to strengthen those who are being tried by illness, the Anointing of the Sick.

The sacred anointing of the sick was instituted by Christ our Lord as a true and proper sacrament of the New Testament. It is alluded to indeed by Mark, but is recommended and promulgated by james the apostle and brother of the Lord.

From ancient times in the liturgical traditions of both East and West, we have testimonies to the practice of anointings of the sick with blessed oil. Over the centuries the Anointing of the Sick was conferred more and more exclusively on those at the point of death. Because of this it received the name "Extreme Unction." Notwithstanding this evolution the liturgy has never failed to beg the Lord that the sick person may recover his health if it would be conducive to his salvation."

The last rites are the final (typically) of the seven sacrements that are part of a Catholic's journey through their religion. Last Rites, or Extreme Unction, or the Anointing of the Sick, is a blessing that is supposed to encourage the sick to seek convalescence, both spiritual and physical from the Lord Jesus.

Each sacrament represents a milestone and gives the person a chance to reflect on where they've been and where they're going.

They are:
    Baptism
    Confirmation
    The Eucharist
    Reconciliation
    Holy Orders
    Marriage
    Anointing of the Sick

17. Last rites is a religious sacrament that is meant to prepare the dying for entry into the afterlife by offering them a chance to be cleansed of sin and accept God. I'm sure that's not the greatest explanation in the world, but it's how I understand it.

As for it being performed twice, since it's preparation for the afterlife, it becomes void if you don't die, I would say. I am by no means an expert...perhaps Major Metal might know a bit about this.

18. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Like I said in the post that went up as the same as yours, it originally wasn't intended as the "last rites", but really as more of an encouragement through physical illness. Over time, however, it became a ritual performed to and by those on their deathbed.

Another quote from the Cathecism:

"The Anointing of the Sick is not a sacrement only for those at the point of death. Hence, as soon as anyone of the faithful begins to be in danger of death from sickness or old age, the fitting time for him to receive this sacrement has certainly already arrived.

if a sick person who has received this anointing recovers his helath, he can in the case of another grave illness receive the sacrement again. If during the same illness the person' condition becomes more serious, the sacrament may be repeated. it is fitting to receive the Anointing of the Sick just prior to a serious operation. The same holds true for teh elderly whose frailty becomes more pronounced."

19. Great info, Michael. I haven't busted out my Catechism book for ages.