1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Possible problem with Little Mark II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rimtism123, Apr 20, 2009.

1. rimtism123

rimtism123

Mar 25, 2009
    Birmingham, AL
    During a gig on saturday, it kept cutting out. At first, I thought it was my Corvette, but after the gig, I plugged my bandmate's PRS in and it worked. When I got home..I plugged the Vette and the cables used that night at the gig and everything worked fine...

It wasn't running hot and it was still powered on..and it worked fine at practice just a few hours before.
    There were fog machines...are they known to screw w/ amps?

Any ideas?

Gear used:
    LMII 500w
    Carvin 8-10"
    Warwick Corvette STD Ash
    Monster Cables

2. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    Gotta ask the obvious I'm afraid, was the cab 4 ohms minimum?

Fog machine? Maybe fog was drawn into the head and stopped the heatsinks cooling as they should and causing the cutout to come into play. Complete guess though.

3. rimtism123

rimtism123

Mar 25, 2009
    Birmingham, AL
    Well the description of the cab said 4 ohms at 1200watts...
    But the speakers say 300w 8ohms.
    My GK Backline600 used to run it before it blew up...

Well I'm kinda thinkin the fog machine was a factor b/c the cab had to be on its side on the ground so the amp might be triggering an overheat or something if the fog went into the fan? But what gets me is that the amp was cold...:confused:

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Weak power, maybe?

BTW, don't put your 810 on its side. You just make the off-axis response even worse and all the mids and highs blow past your ears and make you play with too much treble. What's the use of having an 810 if you can't enjoy it?

5. That amp should not be hot as long as the fan is working properly.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Could be unsavory power! Did the venue have dedicated outlets for the stage? Does the amp require a steady 120v? If so, it may have been getting 110-115v of fluctuating power causing it to shut down.

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

He said the amp was cold.

8. OOps! My mistake.

9. rimtism123

rimtism123

Mar 25, 2009
    Birmingham, AL
    well I had to put it on its side b/c there was lack of space...it was a weird set up..and it was at a house party type setting so no stage.

but lack of power could be the problem..since it was a house party and everything was plugged with and around each other...amps..lights..etc..but the unit was still on..it was just silent

10. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I was thinking that if you were near the fog machine, there could be condensation forming inside the amp, as in: moisture + electronics = bad

11. rimtism123

rimtism123

Mar 25, 2009
    Birmingham, AL
    I dunno..maybe it was just bad luck. The whole band was having gear trouble that night. I get to fire it up again tomorrow at practice and then we'll see.

Someone told me: Never practice right before a show, its bad luck...that might be true

12. rimtism123

rimtism123

Mar 25, 2009
    Birmingham, AL
    Yikes so practice was today. So what happens is that if I play at a certain volume, the sound will shut off but the power light stays on. If I turn it off and back on, It plays again but then will cut out once again..

I think I may be returning this amp and possibly get a Mesa M6 Carbine

13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    It sounds like it's doing what the amp is supposed to...shutting itself down before damage is done. Why not go and replace it with another LMII if its still in warranty and you like the way it sounds.

I would check the ACTUAL Ω for your cab. It may say that it's 4Ω but that may not be the case. In which you'll only 'blow' more amps...which apparently has happened to you in the past.

14. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    The same cabinet has caused problems for two different amplifiers. Your description of events sounds to me like your amplifier went into protection mode. I would suspect either an intermittent short in your speaker cable or in your cabinet. Were you using a 1/4" phone cable or a speakon?

Paul

15. CodaPDX

CodaPDX

Feb 2, 2009
    +1

The sound cutting out intermittently sounds like a shorted instrument cable. Had this problem last week, and after a song's worth of 'wait - did my bass just cut out for a bit?' I jiggled the cable ends on purpose to see it it came back, found that it did, and swapped it out for a good cable.

16. rimtism123

rimtism123

Mar 25, 2009
    Birmingham, AL
    I was using a 1/4" monster speaker cable. It wasn't the speaker cable b/c I switched them out thinking there was a short.

Wasn't the instrument cable..Checked everything when I got home. Def the amp.

I was thinking maybe the LMII maybe wasn't able to push my cab like that or just wasn't a good amp/cab match...thus shutting itself down...I went ahead and returned the LMII bought the M6 Carbine but haven't been able to test it at the 12 o'clock volume level the LM was at yet. So if the M6 drops out..its gotta be something with my cab.

17. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Good luck with the Mesa. Shouldn't cause any problems, and, imo, a great leap up from the LMII. Nobody really likes them Markbass amps, anyhow.(harhar)

18. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

I suspect a cabinet problem. Either a flaky driver or crossover.

You'll find out if it whacks the Mesa.

19. rimtism123

rimtism123

Mar 25, 2009
    Birmingham, AL
    Turns out...it WAS the markbass...
    The Mesa worked without any problems..then I finally got the email reply from MarkBass..and they said it will shut down like that to prevent a short circuit..so I guess the amp was just a defect.

20. WalWarrior

WalWarrior Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Maryland Suburbs
    Dang - That's too bad. I have never had an issue with my LM II, I'm running a Markbass 1X15 cab and a 102 P on top of that. Never had an issue. Good luck with your new setup -