1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Post your VT Bass pedal settings please!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JSK5String, Apr 8, 2009.

1. JSK5String

JSK5String

May 19, 2008
    Littleton, CO
    I've been searching through the various VT Bass pedal threads looking for the different settings people are using. Then I had this BFO, why not start a thread dedicated to this popular little pedal's settings that are being used out there in the real world!:hyper:

So have at it VT Bass pedal users, start posting your settings. Do the rest of us a favor, when you post your settings, tell us what kind of sound you're trying to get (amp model if you know it), what kind of strings you're using (rounds or flats), how you set the EQ on your amp and what other pedals you're using with it.

This could be a nice library of sounds to be shared with our bottom end friends. Thanks in advance for your submissions...

Rock on boys and girls. :bassist:

2. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    There's a thread on VT Bass settings around here somewhere...

EDIT: I can't find it so maybe we're due for a new one.

3. JSK5String

JSK5String

May 19, 2008
    Littleton, CO
    Then color me silly. I searched and found a bunch, but not a library of settings. Do you know what it's called?

4. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    Something like "show me/list your VT Bass settings"(?). I was subscribed to it but I can't find it under "list subscriptions".

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Here's all you need to know about the VT:

Flat is bass and mid slightly past noon, character on 12:00, highs at about 10:00. From there, the world is your oyster.

6. JSK5String

JSK5String

May 19, 2008
    Littleton, CO
    Well, I've searched under "show your settings" and "list your settings" and I can't find one. So, maybe VT Bass pedal users will be kind enough to help develop a library of settings for the thing here.

We'll see...

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    The library of sounds thing never works out IMHO. We all don't have the same gear or tastes. Just move dials until it sounds good to you. Are you looking for something specific?

8. JSK5String

JSK5String

May 19, 2008
    Littleton, CO
    Why yes I am! Looking for someone who uses flats and is getting themselves that great classic rock/motown tone.

9. Noshtero

Noshtero Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I'll add that I'm looking for an "all-around" solid bass tone. I was really digging the SVT-ish setting that I believe Jimmy posted in the VT Bass mega-thread, but it involved turning the highs off altogether, which wreaked havoc on a few of my other pedals in the chain.

I'd be curious to know what Jimmy feels is the closest B-15 setting now after using the pedal for awhile. In the mega thread, he had posted one early on, and then posted a slightly different one later. I assume he was tweaking it as he got more used to the pedal.

What's the B-15 setting looking like now Jimmy?

10. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I just got this pedal and started messing with it...here are the settings I have right now that I like:

Level - 9:00
    Mid - 1:00
    Char - 11:00/11:30 (a small change goes a long way)
    Drive - 11:00/11/30 (same here...small changes go a long way)
    Low - 1:00
    High - 11:00

As you mess with the Char and Drive knobs, you may need to adjust the Level accordingly.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I got a real good sound of that type by leaving it flat except for boosting the low knob slightly past flat and adding just enough drive to wool it up but not to where you can hear it in a mix.

12. Fetzu

Fetzu

Sep 6, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    That's a good question. I've found that Dannybuoy's flat setting mirrors channel two in both the B-15N and the SVT. The two different B-15 settings I posted a while back were for both my 64 B-15N and my 77 B-15N (the 77 has a lot less high end and subdued upper mids and a big low mid). Haven't tried to match it in a while, though. Once I got what I wanted out of the matching, I discovered it's much better to just get a sound you like out of it and not worry about matching. But I'd be willing to bet that my old settings are still pretty accurate, which I believe for the 64 was mid at 1:00, character at 11:00, bass at 12:00 and treble at 10:00. Can't remember what the 77 was.

14. slyjoe

slyjoe Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Valley of the Sun (AZ)
    I had downloaded this a while back - and Jimmy has two in here, and JSK5String has 1. :)

Attached Files:

15. MarkusBass

MarkusBass Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
  16. JSK5String

JSK5String

May 19, 2008
    Littleton, CO
  17. ScottB.

ScottB.

Sep 14, 2008
    Devon, UK
    Level - Unity
    Mid - 1:30
    Character - 10:30
    Drive - A smidge before 12:00
    Low - 12:00
    High - 10:00

^My gritty overdrive tone

18. MarkusBass

MarkusBass Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    No problemo!

19. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    I just bought this pedal.. did not get it yet.. I am wanting a slight funkier, ballsier sound with the MarkBass setup I have.. a tube sound.. this pedal sounds subtle... which is what I like.. meaning it sounds like I can have it be as subtle or as aggressive as I want.. I have a sansamp RBI.. but I am selling it.. I wanted something smaller.. this is hopefully it..

I wish there were more threads on settings, but I am hoping flat settings are best.. with a slight boost in low.. I always like a slight low boost.. and I generally turn down highs as well..

If I want a tone like Rage Against the Machine, suggestions:

If I want a Geddy Lee tone from Moving Pictures, suggestions:

If I want a Flea tone from Suck my kiss, suggestions?:

If I want a motown sound, I think we've already covered this..

do you guys usually flatten your head EQs.. when using this pedal.. or just leave those the same and adjust the pedal until it coincides with your amp's settings?

20. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    tech-21-vt-bass-controlsbig.

This is a good jumping off point.