1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Potential Ohio DB amp shootout/hang/axecheck/ belchfest

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Tom,

Where all at is Fremont, OH? I'd love to do a shootout of the Focus/VL 208 rig (with mixed AMT & FC signals for DB) and the IP 112 with various blenders if we could ever find the time. Your reviews make the IP series sound almost too good to be true, and my experience with the HT112 has been that it's a great BG cab, but not in the same class as the EA cabs for DB. I gotta see for myself!

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    North-central Ohio, very close to Lake Erie and Cedar Point. It's a fun place in the summer, but winters are best left to... well staying inside and playing with a lot of bass gear! :D

3. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    A reasonable mid point would be Cowlumbus. I'll host. Pick a day and I'll get us into as big or little a space we need for whomever wants to come.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Tom? :D

5. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Wow -- Pittsburgh is dangerously close to Columbus! I'd sure like to try a few of these cabs before I buy...if you have room for a 'nuther bass player.

However, I'm getting lots of positive feedback on the Wizzy cab...might just be the ticket for what I need it for.

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    OTOH, we could just add the wizzy to the shootout...:)

7. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Pittsetucky! Temporary football capital of the world. 3 hours away. My mother was born 20 miles from there.

More the merrier I say.

...but you have to bring your DB. We must play many basses through the toys.

Sure, Tom is the wizzy wiz.

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    I do need to hit Phil's shop to pick up a bass he's working on, so sure! :)

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I'm free after school and the Derby are done (May 6), but unless it were on a weekday, I'd have to cash in some serious brownie points with upper management (a pretty 5'3" brunette with a fiercely protective notion of the words "family time"). :)

10. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    I guess I should finish that thing huh.

I'm easy. Most days are flexible, My Monday and Tuesday gigs start kinda early (6ish) but I could do something before that. Most Weds and Thursdays are good for the whole day. I have a couple gigs here and there we'd need to work around. My shop time is flexible until late June.

Pick a day.

I'd keep the brownie points for something else.

11. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    My best open day is Monday, May 8.

We could do an after-lunch hang to give you time to get to your Monday gig. Or we could all just end up staying late and crashing it too. Instead of having 5 or 6 sax players lined up to sit in, we could have a line of bassists. Can you imagine? :D

Hey Phil -- do you know a fine jazz pianist from Columbus named Dave Powers? I got to play with him a few weeks ago in the 'Burgh (the more than temporary football capitol). Hockey and Baseball are a whole nutha story.

I have a decent URB with Barbera and Full Circle p/u's. If you wanted a slightly different compare/contrast option -- I have an Eden Navigator pre and a Crown K1 (1000 watts) if you wanted to "stress test" any of those boxes! :rollno: I'd probably bring my SWR head though -- as that's what I plan on using a 12 with...

Jason

12. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Man....I have a bunch of freq flyer miles I need to use up this year..... Are foreigners welcome? :hyper:

13. I can't offer much in the way of basses or playing, but I can bring along a Focus 2R series III to confuse things more. If you don't mind the company.

14. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    Chris,
    Be sure to listen to Tom's Markbass 102P 2x10 cabinet - about 30lbs and quite small. Probably not an IP112 killer, but it may find a place in your DB arsenal due to its size and portability. It would probably like your Focus too. It's my fave small cabinet now (and the 121H).

15. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    More the merrier. Be nice to try a bunch of stuff. Foreigners would of course be welcome.

Dave Powers is the archetype for what a professional musician should be. He's probably the only guy in town that makes a decent living playing. He knows more tunes than anybody I know. He's a fantastic player. He's funny as hell, he's personable, and he knows how to work whatever audience he's playing to. He's a total package guy. I've never played with him, we travel in different circles. I'd love to though. He's a call list I'd kill to be on.

May 8 may work, I've got a few things on that day that I'd need to move so another would be better. I can make that work if I need to.

Having sitzin on DB would be a hoot. That never happens around here.

16. Just be sure to provide pictures, accounts, and transcriptions for all of us who can't make it!

17. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I'm free most weekdays after the 6th of May, but I should be back by about 5:30 or 6:00 to keep the missus happy. Wednesdays are probably more difficult than the others, but possible if I give enough notice.

I'd LOVE to see a Markbass cab, since I always find myself skeptical about rave reviews on products I've never laid eyes on. If we're able to pull this off, I'd be able to bring the following in my Civic:

LaScala hybrid with Dominants
    AMT & FC
    Focus 2R series III (Should arrive today or tomorrow...Thanks, Johono!:hyper: )
    VL208
    VL108
    PA stand for the cabs

Hope we can work this out!

18. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Youbetcha. I don't own a digital camera, but I'll be happy to belch into a ziplock bag and send you the results! :) I bet someone else has a camera, though...

19. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    I'm a pretty well prepared guy, so cameras, food etc. will be taken care of.

My shop is to small for this kind of thing. I spoke with the fellow that owns the Karate studio next to my shop. He's got a pretty sizable room we can use for a shootout as long as we clear out before 3pm. Might be acousticly a drag. Its a square box with lots of paralell surfaces but it'll work ok. If we need later times or better sound I can find some space down the street in a recording studio.

He mentioned Sundays are completely free and open for whatever all day. I imagine that may be more of a familial hardship for some. Although I can drag out a BBQ and make it a family thing if need be.

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    I have May 8th blocked off. My only issue would be that I have a jury trial set for the 9th, 10th, and 11th, but it probably will get continued. If it doesn't, I'll need to be up here prepping, but one of the other parties is highly likely to continue it, so I will let you all know as soon as I can confirm that.

Tom.