1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Potential Profit

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tony Flow, Jul 17, 2012.

1. I have the chance to buy a 1979 Fender P-bass, sunburst with the original pearloid pickguard, original pickups, original all maple neck and original hardcase - for cheap. I see the opportunity to turn a sizable profit by selling it here on TB. Is this a good idea? Am I a sleazy ne'er-do-well? What price should I sell if for?

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Not sure about the sizable profit. The bottom has pretty well fallen out of the used bass market right now. No law against making a buck. I have seen them sell for between 1200 and 1400 on eBay.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    It's called "business". Sure, why not.

4. I was thinking of $1500. With haggle room, I believe that price will work in the woeful bass market. Yes? No?

5. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    See how many 79 Fender P's come through the Classifieds in the same condition for that price.

I'd guess, none. So why should you feel bad about doing exactly what all of these same guys are doing themselves?

Sell for fair market value, there's a reason it's called "fair" market value.
    What you paid is nobodies business, and making profit on something YOU scored cheap is not wrong. You scoring it cheap is YOUR benefit not everyone else's, unless you have reason to share the good fortune with someone.

Enjoy your find, make some money, buy new gear and repeat the process and most important feel great about the entire thing.

6. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Jun 28, 2010
    Detroit
    As everyone has said, that's just business. Still, letting everyone know about it seems kind of questionable...

7. Well, this is awfully strange for TalkBass!

Where are the price police?

I agree with you, 1Shot1Hit, but you know what I'm talking about!

Let me guess - we'll be talking about Karma pretty soon.

8. Airskank

Airskank

Jun 17, 2011
    I would say absolutely you are a huge scumbag... you should pass this opportunity on to someone else. I happen to know someone who'll take this deal off your hands. Just PM me the seller's information.

9. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Tb ers are a pretty educated bunch when it comes to buying basses. Be as accurate as possible in your description and be prepared to negotiate. Like I said I have seen them go for between 1200 and 1400 in great condition. If someone wants it bad enough maybe you make a deal. Sounds like you have reservations about making profit....not sure why but if that's the case sell it for less.....

10. No! You have it all wrong!

What you are supposed to do is tell the seller what it is really worth and ruin it for everybody else!

C'Mon! Man!

11. Thanks for the estimates and the help... and humor. I am surely no ruthless business man, but I know opportunity when I see it. I believe I was trying to justify my situation with the "moral code" aspect of the TB brotherhood.

12. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I have seen tons of ads for basses on tb where the seller was asking top buck and the bass ended up on epray. You don't need approval to make a buck, just don't screw over anyone in the process......

13. I've turned some great profits from TB, I also sleep great at night. Buy it for a good deal , sell it at a fair deal-dont get greedy.

14. The only reason I even bring this up is because I've never been in a profitable situation as such. Most of my dealings are straight value trades.

15. If you're patient enough, you'll turn a profit. Not any time soon though.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Go for it. Capitalism rules. RULES!

17. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I don't see a problem with it. No different from the people who paid $250 for a Deep Impact and are selling them now for $800.

18. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    Lmfao, yes we're absolutely on the same page, and I'm just as surprised to be honest.

I can smell the karma comments brewing as we type.

19. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    Well said

20. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    Unless you're swindling a widow to get that price (or something equivalent) then go for it.

Now, if it is, say, a friend who died and his widow asked what the bass was worth and you told her a scandalously low price so you could resell it for a tidy profit then yeah you're a horrible person. ;)