Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power requirements for EA CXL-112?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Jeremy Allen, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Hello Euphonic Audio users, a quick question:
    Is 100watts sufficient to drive a CXL-112 cabinet? I'm looking into getting a new cabinet, and I most often play through a Walter Woods lo-power (red light). I used to use a VL108 with the Woods, and the response really suffered from lack of wattage (but an Eden WT400 worked beautifully with that cab). Is the CXL-112 more efficient?
    Thanks for any tips. And before anyone says "get a 4ohm Wizzy instead," well...I guess you all can feel free to say that, actually. That might be the better solution.
    -Jeremy

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    The CXL 112 is WAAAAAY more efficient than a VL108 or 208. It's not even close. I used to power mine with a Clarus (120w, I think), and it had plenty of juice. I'd definitely recommend playing one before you buy, though...some people love the clarity of the mids, and others not so much. I dug it, I just dig the VL208 with lots of juice to drive it more. Sid King here in town has a Wizzy, and I bet he could be talked into letting you test drive it with enough warning.

3. JonB

JonB

May 27, 2003
    Indianapolis
    I used to power my cxl112 with a 100w ampeg head, and it there was plenty of volume, keeping in mind that there is only one 12" speaker.
    Also, I was able to a/b my cxl112 with a wizzy on a gig once. Volume-wise, there wasn't much difference between the two.
    The cxl has strong upper-mids, which is just about where "piezo honk" is on some pickups, unfortunately. If you can dial that out, it's a very good-sounding cabinet.
    To my ears, wizzy was a darker, more mellow sound. I don't believe it's due soley to the lack of tweeter - it's the way the cabinet is voiced. Transmission line design makes for a great, even low end response in both cabs.
    Sorry, this may be more than you wanted to know - I've just had some coffee!
    Maybe you'll be able to listen to them before you buy.

4. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    The CXL-110 has a sensitivity of 103 dB/watt @ 1 Meter. That's very efficient.

5. Jeremy Allen

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Thanks, gang. Very helpful.
    I keep hearing about the bump in the mids on the CXL112 (it's even mentioned in the product description on Bob G's site). I'll have to try the cabinet to know for sure, but that sounds to me like the kind of characteristic that may be a bit off-putting in the showroom (or living room) but which comes in very handy on stage, in a busy mix. It just happens that I'm using a Revolution SOLO right now, and the mids are not the problem with this pickup as they are with piezos. (The highs, on the other hand, are best avoided or it gets really "clacky" really quickly...)

6. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Ya know I could be wrong, but I think the SOLO actually is a piezo. Stuck inside a wood casing that is. I dunno.

I agree w/ Johono5 that the mids on the SOLO sound nice and they don't go honk or thonk.

7. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I can't imagine how else they'd do it. The only other ways to build a tranducer are electrostatic, which requires an external power supply, and eletrodynamic- and it's not big enough for that.

In my experiments with piezos I've discovered they don't have to quack. Using larger PZT crystal elements I get a very smooth sound.

8. JonB

JonB

May 27, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Hey, Johono5,
    I see you're in B-town. PM me and maybe I could loan you my cxl, so you could hear it for yourself.

9. Jeremy Allen

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Yeah, I guess it must be. They don't say it is, but that's probably because "piezo" has come to have negative connotations.

Thanks for the invite, JonB; I'll give you a holler if I'm up in Indy sometime with Steve Allee or the BWJO.