1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Powering Markbass Compressore

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FunkyBassline, Apr 16, 2010.

1. This is my first post on talkbass, so if it's a dumb question go light on me. I am planning a board and want to get the highly acclaimed compressore. From what I can piece together it takes at least 500mA to power it. I've been playing around with a couple ideas of how to power it with a BBE supa charger and wanted some professional input before I did something stupid.

1) If 400mA could cut it, I could power the pedal by combining the two isolated outputs in the middle that are 200mA with a Y adapter.

2) I could take up the two 200mA and one 100mA output with two Y adapters (I know it would be kind of ridiculous) and daisy chain a couple other pedals to free up the slots.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Use the adapter that comes with it.

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Something to know is that the Y-cables that come with most power supplies are only for combining voltage, not current. If you plug a typical Y cord into two 200 mA outlets, you will still only get 200 mA. You'd need a special custom-order cable for combining current; I think Voodoo Labs can make you one.

500 mA is the minimum--I would not try to run it with only 400.

As soon as Godlyke (or anyone else that beats them to the punch) releases the voltage-changing adapter for daisy chain supplies, allowing you to get 12V DC and plenty of available current, then that is time to start finagling the Markbass powering situation. Until then, use the supplied wall wart.

4. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
  5. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    The 500 mA number is what Peter at MB told me.

6. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Could always measure the current draw with a multimeter. The RNC uses much lower current than the PSU rating.

7. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    True, but FWIW the supply that comes with the Compressore is rated for 1700 mA--so I asked them what was the very minimum it actually needed.

8. Peter Murray

Peter Murray Commercial User

Dec 13, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Artist Relations and Social Media Manager, Pigtronix and Supro
    This is correct, and means that if you have a connector cable, you can power up to three Markbass pedals with one wall plug.

tedsalt likes this.
  9. lpjiang

lpjiang Finally a Roscoehead

Jul 15, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    That's what I did. I can power up one Compressore, one Distorsore and one Super Booster with one Markabss 12V adapter without any problem. I use the connector cable came with 1-Spot adapter.

tedsalt likes this.
  10. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I think there is a possibilty of powering the Compressore (or in my case, the SuperSynth) together with ther pedals by TheGigRig using the Generator, Distributor & the SupaNova 9-12V DC Adapter.

- the Generator provides 5000 milliamps of 9VDC power
    - the distributor distributes the 9 volts to the pedals
    - one 9VDC output is converted / isolated to 12 VDC by the SupaNova 9-12V DC Adapter

http://www.thegigrig.com/acatalog/T.../TheGigRig_Effects_Power_Supply_Solution.html

http://www.thegigrig.com/acatalog/TheGigRig_Adapters.html

11. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I was wrong :(:(:(

The SupaNova 9-12VDC Adapter puts out / lets pass only 350mA....
    And that's what they call "a very high amount of current which is perfect for the modern power hungry 12V DC pedals"

:(:(:(

12. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Well, most modern pedals don't have a tube in it. Tubes alone will draw around 350mA for their heater.

13. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I was enquiring at Godlyke about the ISO-PUMP powering the Compressore and the SuperSynth.
    Here's what I go in reply:

"Maximum current output of the Iso-Pump at 12 volts is 480 mA - therefore, it
    does not have enough current to power these Markbass units - sorry."

The Iso-Pump will be shipping in late June of this year. "

14. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Dammit.

15. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    WOW. 20 mA. Haha.

16. viking67

viking67

Sep 14, 2005
    Langley, Canada
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but has anyone found a more convenient way to power the Compressore? I've got 2 9v pedals w small mA requirements, and the Comp w 500mA 12v hunger. I've got the One-Spot, and Ive looked at all the Voodoo, Godlyke, Visual Sound, etc options and can't seem to find anything that will run all three, or even an inline voltage converter (like the Godlyke Iso-Pump), for less than the $200 T-Rex Fueltank Classic. I'm hoping to spend less. Any ideas or am i stuck getting a power strip?

17. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Are you good with electronics? You could daisy-chain power off the Markbass wall wart; and make a 12V to 9V voltage divider, and insert it inline on the daisy chain after the Markbass.

18. carbonfold

carbonfold

Oct 13, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    I was thinking about doing this with. So any info or ideas regarding a 12v to 9v voltage divider on this wall wart? (parts ect ect)

19. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    You can use a voltage divider to reduce the 12V to 9V, but the resistances would need to be kept low enough that the divider will not starve the pedal of current.

A simpler one part solution would be to use a series zener diode to block about 3 volts from the 12V supply. The part that you will need is a 1N5225 zener diode that costs less than nickel. If you connect the diodes cathode (band side) to the +12V there will be approximately 9V at the anode (lead opposite the band side). Since fresh 9V batteries measure approximately 9.6V, you may want to use a lower voltage zener to get a tiny bit more headroom to your 9V pedal. A 2.4V zeners part number is 1N5221.

-Frank

20. carbonfold

carbonfold

Oct 13, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    If I'm using my power supply to my compressor, how would I wire this "after" the compressor in the power supply cable? If I wire the diode in between the supply and the compressore, would that cause some noise issues?