1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Practice cabinet only?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Maine, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Hi all,

First post, hello :)

I'm looking for a dedicated bass guitar cabinet which uses a 1x10 or 1x12 for practice use. I don't want to use a huge rig when I'm playing on the sofa of an evening, and I have plenty of heads. I just need a small, front room friendly cab.

I've been looking around for ages, but I can't find anything. A couple of years ago I built a small cab around a Celestion BL 10" 200w, but it sounded awful. There was no bass at all. (I ended up using it as a guitar cab.)

So, is there anything out there? A compact 1x10 or 1x12 cab please :)

Thanks,

Maine.

2. bassman639

bassman639

Dec 23, 2006
    northeast ,pa
    i use an eden d112xlt,sounds great, or try an 112neox gb,i hear they're nice too
    either one is your best best,around the same price

3. I am about to order up an Avatar SB112. After reading all the good things about them here on TB it sounds like a lock to me. I have never heard one or even seen one in person. What will you be powering it with?

BTW I have a very good friend who goes by the nickname Maine! He calls me Maine and I call him Mayne or is it mane. Anyway great user name there.

4. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

I use an Acme B1. Won't go loud at all, but it would be hard to find something as small, that sounds as good.

IMG_0647360x480.

You can't see it in this picture, but the port is on the same side as the handle, so nothing blocks it.

5. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I have a nice little Gallien-Krueger 110 that I use just for that. I like the rock-back cabinet, and contrary to some here I find "rat fur" quite comforting. :)

They make a 112 as well. They're (1) Cheap, (2) reliable and (3) nearly always in stock at GC.

I pick it up with one hand, and go.

70w into 8ohms, and will easily drive a larger speaker cabinet should you be so inclined.

6. Thanks all. Does this forum do multi-quote? :)

If not...

- I know of Eden and Avatar. I'll have another look at what they offer.

- Maine, the name... I'm not from the N-East Coast, but England. I have two Maine Coon cats who are often found lurking on top of any carpet-covered cab. It didn't take me long to prefer vinyl/tolex as a result. They don't get as horribly furry!

- Acme. Never heard of those. I like surprises :) I've found their web site now.

- Power. For living room practice, I have anything from a 5w valve head to a 700w power amp. If I find the right cab, I'll give it the power it needs.

- Illbay, you mention GC. I'm from England, so I don't know them, sorry. Who are they?

Cheers,

Maine.

7. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Epifani UL2-112 is another to consider. Further- a Phil Jones
    8B extension cab will give great tone and lows and remarkable top end with no harshness (no tweeter or crossover), but will provide less volume than an efficient 110 IME/IMO, and will weigh around 40 lbs. Priced well compared to 110 offerings by some others, but heavier and less efficient. My living room practice rig is now an Orange AD200 on a Phil Jones 9B. Truly amazing, thick tone, but way too heavy to be worthwhile for me to transport. If I did any recording (which I don't), this'd be the cat's meow, er, bear's growl :)

8. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    If that's all you're looking for is a single 1x10 or 1x12 cabinet, then pretty much everything on the market right now will fit the bill for decent sound at small room volumes. It's when you start talking about using those speakers in larger rooms that things get interesting.

9. That's SO tantalising, and the essence of my problem. Can you please explicitly state which cabs are available in a 1x10 or 1x12, as in the UK, all I can see are 2x10 or 1x15. Seriously, that's it until you go larger.

Thanks.

10. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    I was thinking the same thing. Run to your local music shop and buy the cheapest cabinet that doesn't sound like crap.

11. RBASS930

RBASS930 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
  12. Seriously, I have for the last 3-4 years asked every shop assistant for 1x10 or 1x12 bass cabs, including London (Denmark St) and no-one has been able to offer anything.

The brands that sell here just don't offer anything smaller than a 1x15. I'm not being lazy, trust me.

13. Blake Bass

Blake Bass Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Montgomery, Texas
    EA-Wizzy M-Line 4ohm 1x12 is a great cabinet for low to moderate volume gigs and it is small. I use mine with a Walter Woods (amber light) head and it sounds great.

14. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    I picked up an SWR Workingman's 10 cabinet new for $99. There a bit more now, but still a low priced, decent small cabinet.

15. I don't think it makes sense to shell out for an Epifani or an Eden for a practice rig.

Pick up the Avatar 112, it will sound good and not break the bank.

16. I use my Aguilar GS112. Very smooth & full sounding Small light NON-NEO cab. YMMV

17. The Avatars look great - good price and seem ideal. Unfortunately the site explicitly says the don't ship outside the lower 48 states. Which I presume doesn't include England, although it does feel like it most of the time. :)

18. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    I don't know what you can get a hold of across the pond, but Bergantino, Genz-Benz, Gallien-Krueger, Aguilar, Acme, Schroeder, Accugroove, EBS, Markbass, Eden and even Ampeg all offer sub-compact cab options to the tune of 1x10" or 1x12".

Actually, I'm probably forgetting a brand or two.

19. hills1234

hills1234

May 6, 2007
    NZ
    +1 for the Aguilar GS112. Lovely, smooth cab but it can rock too. I use it for practice and small gigs, and stack it with a 4x10 for bigger rock gigs. Handles 'em all with great tone. The adjustable tweeter is great.

20. victor6

victor6

Dec 2, 2007
    How's the GK extension cab for the Microbass Combo?

They are very compact for a 12" ... and also very light.

I see them here for $279 shipped.

Victor