1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

pre-amp knowledge(is that how you write it?)

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by killer777, Apr 13, 2009.

1. killer777

killer777

Apr 13, 2009
    israel...
    bass on :3
    I actualy dont really know much about pre-amp.

can you teach me a bit?

give examples, tone examples and so.

thnaks.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Check out the "preamps explained" link in my sig. :)

3. killer777

killer777

Apr 13, 2009
    israel...
    bass on :3
    bongomania, i didnt quiet get it...
    but thanks anyway.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I understand the language may be an issue. If there's anything particular that you found confusing, let me know.

The basic idea is that there are many, many different kinds of things called "preamps", so your initial question is impossible to answer. For an answer, you'd have to specify what kind of preamp, for what kind of application, you were talking about.

Another basic idea is that all electronic devices sound just a bit different, and sometimes you can generalize that you are familiar with the sound of certain features, which allows you to experiment with an idea of what to expect when buying a preamp. Otherwise it's all a random, subjective gamble, where the only way to understand is to try different ones yourself.

5. BR Audio

BR Audio Guest

Apr 13, 2006
    Hi Killer777

In a nut shell, preamp is an amplifying stage that brings a low level signal to a line level signal. Microphones and Instruments generally have really low signal levels. The preamp is designed to bring those levels up to what we call "line level".
    An instrument preamp is just increasing the level of an instrument so it can better interface with yet another amplifier stage, The AMP.

Hope it helps a little. There is a lot more to it, but this is the basic understanding.

Gil