Preamp pedal with good overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gordonfreemanjr, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Hi,

I need an advice. Currently I'm using a preamp pedal for tone with the drive knob rolled down to zero - as it's not good at all - and another pedal for an always-on ovedrive (Pork Ioin). I'd like to save space and weight however and use a single pedal for both.

Naturally, I know all about Darkglass, but it's too pricy for me.

I'd appreciate any other suggestions for a solid preamp pedal with good ovedrive, maybe some distortion options. Thanks!

2. Pulverizor

Pulverizor

Jun 14, 2018
    New Zealand
    I reckon it's tough to find a preamp pedal with a sweet sounding overdrive, most try to do some form of tube amp emulation.
    What pedal do you have now and what don't you like about it?

3. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I had the TC Electronics Spectra Drive for a while and the pre amp sounded great. It has the ability to use tone prints for comp and drive so if you can find ones you like then you can get that overdrive out of that Preamp. There are patches for anything from very mild barely there OD to all out crazy Fuzz and anything in between. I only moved it at the time because I needed cash desperately or I would still have it and may again in the future .

4. Bolsyo

Bolsyo

Oct 18, 2015
    Norway
    Aguilar Tone Hammer.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021