Prices of 70s basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Darko74, Apr 15, 2024.

1. Darko74

Darko74

May 18, 2007
    Dublin, Ireland
    I have a 73 jazz that I bought about 20 years ago for 2500 euro. I just seen a 72 going for 7300 dollars. Have the prices gone up that much in 10 years?

Artman, MCF and mikewalker like this.
  2. JumboJett35

JumboJett35

Jun 18, 2023
    Gettysburg
    How much was gas 10 years ago? As much as I hate to play that card and can't understand the appeal of spending that much, I do understand that the value of our currency is not what it used to be. Brand new American Fenders have increased over $300 since the ProII line first dropped.

Danno_Demo, Artman and StayLow like this.
  3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I remember a new Rickenbacker 4001 was selling for around $600.00 U.S. dollars in 1977. And if I remember correctly, a new Fender Precision Bass was selling for around $450.00 U.S. dollars.

MrAB4003, Artman and dbsfgyd1 like this.
  4. Darko74

Darko74

May 18, 2007
    Dublin, Ireland
    I meant to say that i bought it 10 years ago not 20. I get that things go up in price but I'm sure a new fender hasn't tripled in price in 10 years.

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  5. trey le parc

trey le parc Triplets Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Southern California
    Former Partner at Bass San Diego.
    Please don't give them any ideas.

6. blr2

blr2

Apr 21, 2010
    EU
    Back in 88-89 I bought a 82 Rickenbacker for 500 USD. For the same amount of money or a bit more you could buy a new P bass back then, if I remember correctly. The vintage wasn't a thing back then, and the '70s were not considered vintage.

Not tripled, but close to doubled.

7. Mike Vee

Mike Vee Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Yes

8. CaptainLeisure

CaptainLeisure Gold Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2020
    Prices of 70's instruments are ironic considering they were universally despised at the time; and were responsible for the onset of vintage instrument worship.

9. dustinymichaels

dustinymichaels Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2023
    Southwest Michigan
    I feel like the cost of 70s instruments have skyrocketed because the 60s are long gone without taking a loan on the mortgage to buy something. I always wanted to by something from my birth year (76) but have been advised that it's a case by case scenario.

KimGT99, edwinhurwitz, Artman and 2 others like this.
  10. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

There are any number of reasons why the price of Old Stuff goes up. Inflation is certainly one of them, but there's also increasing demand for whatever it is - and, sometimes, if it becomes subjectively less desirable, the price will go down. But, it's also caused by the fact that, as time passes, there's a decreasing number of the things that are "worth" the asking price. In the case of basses and guitars, electronics can die from old age; pickguards and binding - especially if they're old enough to be niitrocellulose acetate - will crumble and fall off; or necks decide they want to bend the wrong way - forever. Which happened to a friend's '72 Matsumoku-made Epiphone EA-260 hollow-body bass. It did have a bolt-on neck, but... where are you going to find a new one? If the instrument has a set neck - or worse yet, it's a neck-thru? probably isn't worth much now - which means there's one less to buy. Which means the ones left that are, are worth more...
    So, lots of reasons why the price goes up - and will continue to go up in the foreseeable future. But, one thing to remember; just because somebody is asking $7,300 for a '72 Jazz Bass, that does not mean that they will get it...:cool:

11. Hurricane Jimmie

Hurricane Jimmie Supporting Member

So Anyway, most Fender basses from the 70's that are still around were standard production instruments.
    If we've learned anything in the manufacturing process, a new Fender should be just as good.
    Or better.

An exception can be made for Mojo or getting to recapture a feeling you had many years ago.

12. pepj

pepj

Mar 25, 2021
    10 years makes sense.
    I sold a 75 Jazz for $350 early 90's.
    It was a dog then..

I'm more concerned that Metros have gone up $1000 by my reckoning in the last few years.

13. erratick

erratick

Mar 2, 2014
    The 70s and 80s birth year people are the ones buying up these instruments, and they have the disposable income for it.

20 years though on $2500 inflation would bring that to $4500 so it's just some increase.

Also asking for that is not the same as selling for that.

KimGT99 and mikewalker like this.
  14. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    That’s excessive but in general they are increasing now. Reason is the supply of 60s Fenders is locked up and anyone wanting a vintage has shifted their designs on 70s.

15. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Mascoutah, IL
    These prices are insane. Having played Fender instruments of this era during that era, give me a Fender made today, or any number of FBO on the market. Ever wondered why so many of them are modded in some way or another? The just were not that good.

IMO, a Fender instrument of that era is the equivalent of Bitcoin. Absolutely nothing backing the value other than public opinion.

JRA, erratick, backin82 and 7 others like this.
  16. BobKos

BobKos Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2007
    I speculate the 72 in the OP is not 'going for' $7300, but rather is 'asking for' $7300. I don't get the love for 70's Fenders but I don't debate the growing demand for them. For $7300 there are a myriad of EXCELLENT modern instruments I would personally rather own. But there's an a$$ for every seat....

17. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    Makes me glad I got a 1980 Jazz for less than $700 in 2001! (I was born the next year.)

erratick and lizardking837 like this.
  18. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    To me, that would only make sense on an unusual color and I would still call that high.

19. direktor

direktor Giving Lover Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2008
    South Pasadena, CA
    I follow my birth year Fenders a tiny bit.

‘72 Jazz for $7300 is high. If it’s in spectacular condition it’s more normal. But most are not. Most I’ve seen are $4500-5k

So the answer is no. They are going up as everybody says, but that is not the going rate. Yet.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2024
    erratick likes this.
  20. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    My 72 is the worst playing bass I own (out of 12). The QC is as bad as any bass I've ever played. I'll sell it in a few years. For probably 5k. Ridiculous.