1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Probably a noob question...Jaguar love

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassAt33, Feb 6, 2016.

1. BassAt33

BassAt33

Nov 29, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    Since I just had to start playing Bass before madness set in, this desire happened around Halloween, to Christmas this year I new I wanted a Jaguar body Bass. After spending quite a bit if time on TB I see that everyone talks about, plays and shares pics of beautiful Jazz and P Basses (and for good reason). But I hardly see much love for the Jaguar. Just curious as to why or if there even is a ryme or reason for this. I personally love the look of them, plus mine has a P and a J pickup so I could explore both worlds (I like the P pickup) any thoughts TB?

2. BassAt33

BassAt33

Nov 29, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    Except for the Short Sale Squiers, lots of posts on them here. Mine is a Squier but a 34" scale

3. Nobody

Nobody Banned

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    The word just hasn't really got out yet that there are other basses besides Js and Ps.

4. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    I've always thought that the Jags were normally short scale so I've never really considered them as I prefer 34"

BassAt33 likes this.
  5. BassAt33

BassAt33

Nov 29, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    Ah that makes sense seeing as most of the posts on hers about Jags are about the VM Shirt scales. I got the Squier Troy Sanders Sig. And it's 34" I played an AMAZING American one in a music shop that was 34" as well. Man that thing gave me GAS haha

6. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    The first Fender Jaguar bass was 34" scale.

7. Grooveline

Grooveline

Jan 24, 2012
    I traded a guitar I was never using for a 2012 mij jaguar. I kind of have a love/hate relationship with it. Hot rod red, circuit succeptable to hum and interference, active preamp that goes 0-100 in small turn, and more complicated relationship between volume and tone when in passive mode were things I havent experienced in a bass before. So I did the copper shielding mod which helped silence it to an acceptable level. Then I finally figured out that backing the volume off of 100% would really help me get more usable tones over the range of the tone pot. As far as this basses natural tone I would say its similar to a 70's jazz type tone but more aggressive. Not in a MM type of way but the bass definitely has growl full open. Even though the neck feels small compared to my p and stingray I have to admit that it causes less stress on my hand. Ive also added a badass bridge, gotoh light weight tuners, dropped the switches down a bit, and bought some nice tone and volume knobs to help the bass out aesthetically. Maybe one day i'll get a nice preamp in there with a v/v/t setup. Right now it does a pretty good job at filling my two pickup fender sound need.

BassAt33 likes this.
  8. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I have the same bass but haven't had the noise problems others seem to get....very aggressive sound! I agree on the boost controls, anything above about 1/3rd is a waste.

9. BassAt33

BassAt33

Nov 29, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    This post is WAY over my head haha. But thanks for the input!!!

10. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    My 2006 CIJ (from the first batch, with the older serial numbers) has become my main player. I sold an MIJ Jazz Special to fund it because the PJ pickup setup doesn't do it for me. It has plenty of shielding paint and controls with useful range. It's rather like bringing 3 or 4 basses to the gig, a real Swiss Army knife of tone choices.

I had a Squier VM Jag with the humbucker. It was well made, but I couldn't find a tone I liked in it.

There are so many mutations of the Jag design now - what's really a Jaguar anymore? I think that's part of the perception problem.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    BassAt33 likes this.
  11. Well this is my American Standard Jaguar, and it's fantastic.

Attached Files:

BassAt33 and Spectrum like this.
  12. I'm a Rickenbacker guy, and the Jaguar is really the only Fender bass body style that gets me excited. The MIA Jaguars are nice. I have a VM Jaguar (34" scale). Looking at Fender's website, I don't think they make this model anymore.

5769692670_65e44a5e15_z.

It has features the MIA doesn't have: a matching headstock and stacked knobs.

If they made an MIA in the right color I'd probably go for one, though.

13. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    I've seen lots of love for the jag on TB. So, if you're looking for validation or group love, it shouldn't be a problem. I bet there's a jag club, too. As long as you love your bass and play righteously, that's all that really matters.

Fingerpickingood and BassAt33 like this.
  14. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    full?d=1451098661.

No love for Jags? Who doesn't love Jags? There's my Squire VVMM (vintage very much modified)

15. Silas Stingy

Silas Stingy

Feb 19, 2009
    U.K
    I have a Chinese Modern Player jag, once the shielding is sorted out (it got noisey in some venues) you have a great bass. Recommended if you can pick one up for a decent price.
    I have several other Fenders, but somehow always go back to the Jag, it gives me more tone options and plays great.
    I'm not so keen on the CIJ active Jag for the reasons posted above by others.

16. Silas Stingy

Silas Stingy

Feb 19, 2009
    U.K
    I actually took mine to a tech because it did that, and was still convinced it was a fault. Good and bad to know they all have the quirk!

17. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    P's and J's have been around for 50 or 60 years. Jaguars have only been around for 10 or so.

BassAt33 likes this.
  18. I've had my CIJ Jag for 3 1/2 years now. That honeymoon phase still hasn't left. It really is a Swiss Army knife of a bass. Also agree it has a 70's Jazz vibe but a bit more aggressive. But can be toned back too. A while back, I read here on TB about a mod that fixes the sweep of the active controls. I did it and now it doesn't jump from 0-100 so quick. It can be searched. I think I remember it being something simple like removing a wire and then rearranging another wire or two to different lugs.

BassAt33 and Silas Stingy like this.
  19. Silas Stingy

Silas Stingy

Feb 19, 2009
    U.K
    Wish I could find that!

20. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    She sure is pretty.

OP, all but one of my basses are Jag-shaped with PJ config.