Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PROBLEM WITH GK COMBO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzyb, Feb 23, 2004.

1. jazzyb

jazzyb

Feb 7, 2004
    norfolk england
    Just experienced problem with my 5 week old 700rb115 combo. Plugged it in powered up no problem but 3 or 4 mins later after a puff of smoke it returned from green to red power LED and nothing but loud hum!
    Nothing was connected to the combo when this happened and it was perfectly dry and climatised when powered up.
    It's on the way back to the UK distributors for inspection and hopefully replacement and I've been loaned a smaller GK
    combo. I'm certainly not put off by this as I just love this combo but I'm hoping this is resolved quickly.
    Has anyone had the same experience or suggestions what could have happened?

2. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    I take it it's not a 700rbII is it? If it's an older one they suffered from a run of bad insulators and the like in the power amp section. That sounds like the problem some of them had a few years ago when I was working for GK. I don't know what the folks in the UK do for things like that, but here, I usually had a new amp assembly shipped out and call tagged the old one back. I will alert Dan the GK man to your issue.

3. Sounds like the power amp board fried. We just sent a bunch of parts to our UK distributor a few weeks ago so they should be able to take care of you quickly.

4. jazzyb

jazzyb

Feb 7, 2004
    norfolk england
    Thanks for your attention guys, I'm hoping to get some feedback on this problem by the end of this week.
    When last used, Couple of days before problem, I thought I heard a bit interference, maybe it was something starting to happen!
    Would have thought this is a 700rbII being so new, I'm not familiar with issue dates of these models could you enlighten me. The combo I've been loaned is the backline 115, lovely little amp, very lively for its size and wattage.
    regards jazzyb

5. The first four digits of the newer GK serial numbers give you the week of manufacture. E.G. - "0028" is the 28th week of 2000.

6. Are you sure it's a Mark II series amp? Is it grey with a black oval or is it black with a silver stripe? We have not had any of the mark II series heads have that kind of problem.

7. jazzyb

jazzyb

Feb 7, 2004
    norfolk england
    Good question! haven't had it long enough to know the difference and can't check this or serial no. 'til it comes home. All the original paperwork and packaging was returned to my dealer, I had it brand new straight out of the box. :crying: