1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Proco Turbo Rat SOUNDCLIPS

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by assboglin, Sep 14, 2007.

1. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Here's some more samples, this time of the Proco Turbo Rat. I know my random licks in E are getting monotonous, I'm just trying to give you an idea of how the pedals sound, in case anyone is interested. Check it out:

Turbo Rat, played with a pick:

http://media.putfile.com/Turbo-Rat

The Turbo Rat is also good for chunking power chords:

http://media.putfile.com/Turbo-Rat-Power-Chords

Add some Boss OC-2 for thickness:

http://media.putfile.com/Turbo-Rat-Octave

And some Dunlop 105Q for good measure:

http://media.putfile.com/Turbo-Rat-Wah

Questions, comments, criticisms, whatever welcome.

2. MarkAndHisBass

MarkAndHisBass

Nov 4, 2006
    Scotland
    The Turbo Rat is an immense pedal. Happily own one :)

Sounds great with the Dunlop 105Q.

3. Foxworthy925

Foxworthy925 Guest

Feb 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    ya, really does sound great. hm, what's it sound like fingerstyle?

4. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    hmm, sounds a bit thin to me, that's why it sounds good mixed with dry signal!

5. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Well I play pretty hard fingerstyle, so it sounds similar with a less concise attack and perhaps less harmonics. If I get a chance I'll do some samples.

And I recommend you listen to any of my samples with a sub. All of the distortion pedals I've done samples for will sound thin on regular computer speakers. But I do run the Turbo Rat in the blend of an Xotic X Blender. If I get a chance I'll do some samples to show what that sounds like too.

6. uhg.

BADASS! :D

7. I'm getting one, then mixing it with my Russian Big Muff. I'm curious as to how that's going to sound. It'll be blended with a dry signal through the use of a BargeConcepts VFB-2.

8. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Sounds great!

9. DeepBass9

DeepBass9

Mar 3, 2007
    Philly, PA
    Between this and the fliptop post, I'm starting to doubt my Bassdrive!

Really, though, I think I got pretty durn close to the ampeg w/my P, so I was all cool with what I've got. But this I don't think I'll come close to..OD vs distortion. Man, that such a pleasant distorted sound. Guessing the turbo doesn't do warm overdrive well.

What bass did you use, and pup selection?

10. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Very impressive indeed especially with the OC-2. If ever I were to buy an distortion this would definitely sway my opinion

11. Does anyone do professional Mod's for clean blending on the Turbo Rat?

12. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I've owned two Bassdrives and the Turbo Rat is my pick there. They're very different pedals, though. The Turbo Rat will do less distorted sounds, but they're more edgy and less warm and having less gain will also cause the pedal to lose bass. At the gain setting I use, the bass response actually seems pretty equal to my clean signal, which is pretty impressive, given it's tight and heavily distorted sound. I'm glad somebody thinks it sounds pleasant because my brother (guitar player) complains about my harsh assrock he calls it sound. I also run the Turbo Rat with my Xotic X Blender, which gives me in effect two channels, one with the blend which is a warmer, more overdrive like sound (though still feels pretty gainy), and then full on which is what you hear in the samples. For these samples I'm using a Fender American Deluxe Jazz bass with Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders (passive), both pickups full on. And for reference I used my SVT-3 Pro instead of the V4BH I used for my other distortion pedal samples I've posted on the forum, though the difference in amps isn't a big deal as far as these samples are concerned.

I haven't heard of any Turbo Rat mods, but I can tell you it sounds pretty tight with a clean blend. A lot of distortion pedals sound a little flabby on my low E string. I have to play strings lighter than mediums; heavier strings have more string tension, and if I play mediums I break them all the time at the string core because I play so hard, lighter strings with less tension I don't break as often. Plus my main gig is with a band that tunes down a half step. So it's cool that the Turbo Rat stays tight on my low E string, and with the clean blend. I recommend the Xotic X Blender because sometimes, depending on the settings and the distortion pedal, the bass knob comes in handy to give a little more bottom to the effected signal. I also have some distortion pedals, like the EBS Multidrive, that have too much bass, so in the Xotic loop with a little bass cut sounds MINT. If I get a chance I'll do some Multidrive samples too.

13. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    i just ordered a turbo rat, can't wait. thanks for the sound clips:bassist:

14. olaff421

olaff421

Sep 29, 2006
    Murfreesboro TN
    I really want one of the Keely Rat mods.

15. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    I made some samples too the last year, played with Rick 4003 and a Sansamp:

(Rick 4003 both pu---TurboRat---Sansamp BDDI fat tube setting)
    (o'clock)

1)

dist 12
    filter 12

http://www.gospel.bo.it/albums/userpics/10109/ratfuzz.mp3

2)

setting a la Kim Gordon: http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/eq/kfx07.jpg

dist 10/11
    filter 13/14

http://www.gospel.bo.it/albums/userpics/10109/ratkgordon.mp3

3)

dist 12
    filter 9

http://www.gospel.bo.it/albums/userpics/10109/rat_d12_f_9.wav

4)

dist 9
    filter 9

http://www.gospel.bo.it/albums/userpics/10109/ratore9.mp3

16. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I tried the Keeley modded Rat and I prefer the Turbo Rat. But that's me.

Thanks for the extra sound samples. Sounds good!

17. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    I am in love with my Turbo Rat, and work it into almost every song now. I've actually been thinking about a second one so I can have it in either low-gain gritty mode or super-high gain scream without having to bend down and turn the dist knob.

18. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Can you describe the difference? I just got a Keeley and it sounds pretty great to me. I especially like "mighty mouse" as a mildy hairy gain booster into my TS-9DX :bassist:

19. i just picked up a Keeley modded Rat as well. I'm looking foward to trying it out.

20. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    My brother, a guitarist, picked up the Keeley modded Rat a long time ago, years I think, so I don't really remember the details sorry. The both of us decided we liked the stock setting best and as a matter of personal taste, we didn't care for the Keeley stuff in general. But it's a matter of personal taste.

I'm not sure what guitar I was using at the time, but it was probably a Jazz Bass with Fender 60's pickups, which were pretty low output and without the greatest string balance, but they had the vibe. I remember the output of my pickups didn't seem to hit the pedal hard enough, so that's probably what I didn't like about it, of course I haven't had that problem with the Turbo Rat and my newer, beefier Jazz basses.

Besides responding better to my basses/playing, the Turbo Rat has a different vibe to it; a different tonal color. I describe the tonal color of distortion pedals in terms of real colors, if this makes any sense. For example a Fulltone Bassdrive (or most Tubesceramer type pedals) is a light yellow. The Keeley Rat and Rat 2 are a darker shade of yellow than the Fulltone, and hairier. The Turbo Rat is more of a red, if this makes any sense. I prefer a more reddish tonal color, which is why I prefer my Turbo Rat to my Rat 2, for example, among other reasons.

But it just goes to show what a difference pickups make in how your distortion pedals work. The 60's Fender pickups sound like god with the MXR Bass DI, but I'm not so hot about that pedal with the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders I use now. I'd be curious to try the Keeley mod again with the new equipment I've got these days... maybe I can get my Rat 2 modded. If you guys would do some sound samples or something I'd be curious to give them a listen too.