1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Profit off Armageddon?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Dec 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, there has been occasional mention here of people offering to take care of pets left behind when the privileged are swept up by the imminent rapture. But hypothetically speaking, let's say someone actually came up with a scheme to generate huge amounts of revenue off the gullibilty of those inclined to believe we're in the last year of earth's existence.

Let's say you stand to net millions of dollars. Assume nothing illegal is involved. Would you participate in the venture if given the opportunity?

2. OldGreg

OldGreg

Apr 23, 2011
    Tucson,AZ
    Yes... I would not have any hesitation.... Sign me up.

3. Ditto. Relieving suckers of their money? Sounds good to me. If I don't take it, someone else would so I might as well be the dirty soon-to-be-rich bastard.

4. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    In a heartbeat!

people are already doing it, just looks that the amount of books and TV shows on the subject.

5. how about this one? I wish I would have thought of this.

Rapture Letters

6. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Call me old fashioned, but I'd rather educate the ignorant than exploit them.

7. there's the turn...

let me know how that goes for you.

8. RitchS

RitchS Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Auburn California
    Waddaya got in mind? I'm in!

9. In this particular case, I believe education would be nearly impossible.

10. For a flaky 20 year old dude, you seem to have a pretty good grasp on things...

;)

...and Munji, yeah, hit me up with your idea on this, I'm in.

:D

11. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Doesn't rate very high on the Karma scale me thinks.

I'm that type of person that just wants to be left alone when it comes to these matters,...so,...in order to obtain that,...I'm happy to leave other people alone.

Are there gonna be paranoid morons to be taken advantage of? For sure,...but I'll just sit back and enjoy the lawls to be had.

12. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    I worked for a wind turbine manufacturer during the whole Y2K scare.

we made a lot of money during that time, everyone that I knew in the
    renewable industry business did.

13. Dale D Dilly

Dale D Dilly Monster

Jul 1, 2008
    I'd do it right now because I'm not at all financially comfortable and pragmatism trumps ethics for me when I'm uncomfortable.

If I had a little more personal wiggle room, the bad taste of the activity would drive me away.

14. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    People have been profiting from doomsday prophecies since the dawn of civilization.

15. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    I think I'm gonna start making tin foil hats.
    anybody want to buy one?

16. AnchorHoy

AnchorHoy

Dec 29, 2008
    New Jersey
    Anybody who sincerely believes in the alleged Rapture to come is completely beyond "education". It is an article of faith that is completely impervious to science, logic, and/or common sense and they will fight you to their last breath in order to defend their own idiocy

I see no shame at all in taking posession of anything such people have intentionally abandoned

17. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Profit off end times--ok
    Profit off a bass sale--not ok

:bag:

18. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Fixed and...Aren't government(s) and organized religion(s) already doing exactly that?

Never underestimate the power of fear. We made sure to keep an extra gallon of Y2K water in the fridge...just in case.

As for the original question...I guess it really comes down to what you are able to do and still sleep at night that will determine the answer.

19. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    I'm gonna sell "Rapture insurance".

Basically everyone who isn't beamed up by Petey, but has a policy with me will get loaded up into a giant catapult and be forcefully thrust into the arms of our Lord.

20. ROFL! This is SOOOOOOO great! This is going on Facebook :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.